• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Red-Hot Memorial Action -or- Who Will Barry Punch Next?

roadkill said:
Having a temper tantrum in which you punch an inanimate object which had absolutely nothing to do with your situation is about the most obvious evidence of an immature person as does exist.

It's easy to admire those things in people that we find difficult to do ourselves, and to be contemptuous of other people's failures to do what comes easily to us. Compassion's hard.

Yeah...I think natural consequences speak for themselves. I believe in sportsmanship, but I think that showing no emotion would be boring to watch.

veganray said:
Frank Delicious said:
As an enlightened Buddha, I have never lost my calm and feel I can pass judgment on those that do.
That's spelled "cum". :oops:

uh excuse me, I took the path of the buddha and lived it up during my youth before turning to the middle path.

roadkill said:
victorb said:
Losing your composure isn't the mark of a bad or immature person.

Having a temper tantrum in which you punch an inanimate object which had absolutely nothing to do with your situation is about the most obvious evidence of an immature person as does exist.

thanks for cutting out the most important part of my post and responding to the part you find relevant to your argument.

we are all human, we all lose our composure at some point, and probably over something stupid.

I vaguely recall being reprimanded for discussing the character of one young gateway player a while ago.

So should we start calling him...

Barry "Hulk" Schultz?

chiggins said:
1. Why is it his choice to play disc golf for a living, but not his choice decide to punch his mini? Why does he have to decide between meeting your standards for composure and doing plastics engineering?

You make a good point he does have the choice to punch his mini and he exercised that choice and as a consequence he injured himself and will not be collecting any prize money from the event. He does not have to meet my standards. He can and has chosen to show himself to the world for what he is. And my take on his choice is that he's an immature arse. You may not agree but that is my conclusion based on what he's shown me.

2. Now that shit has hit the fan for you, why is it your choice to choose another employer or career, but not your choice to express anger or frustration with the situation? What could you "sign up for" that didn't have good and bad? Doesn't it seem kind of absurd to make an ultimatum between never expressing anger or frustration, and finding a whole new job or career?
Yes, I do have the option of having a childish temper tantrum. I have chosen against that option as I have decided a long time ago it is foolish, unproductive and unnecessary. There is good and bad in all professions. I could "sign up" for employment for another company, another position in my current company or another career altogether if I felt the change would have a more favorable good to bad ratio than my current situation. This is a decision I mull over nearly everyday but for now I've chosen to accept bad circumstances that come my way as I also accept the good circumstances also.

Like it's been said above, I'm not advocating in favor of mini-punching, at least metal ones, and it's super great that you've been in complete control of your temper since you were ten years old. But not everyone's you, ya know, and not everyone's as good at holding their shit together 100% of the time. Maybe you could cut folks some slack?

Well, there is an old proverb that says "adversity does not build character, it reveals it." I'd say the "adversity" of a missed putt has revealed Barry's character. And if I can be so bold I believe your adamant defense of Barry's behavior has just revealed yours

I would have an opinion of his antics if Karma hadn't already been instant in Barry's case. It always reminds me to focus on the most important aspect of any game I play.

roadkill said:
Well, there is an old proverb that says "adversity does not build character, it reveals it." I'd say the "adversity" of a missed putt has revealed Barry's character. And if I can be so bold I believe your adamant defense of Barry's behavior has just revealed yours

Ladies and gentlemen...may I present the only person on the planet who has never shown a moment of weakness...Roadkill!

Jeronimo said:
I vaguely recall being reprimanded for discussing the character of one young gateway player a while ago.

So should we start calling him...

Barry "Hulk" Schultz?

That's because the Nikko thread got a lot more personal. We've moved on to how a pro player should act.

chiggins said:
roadkill said:

It's easy to admire those things in people that we find difficult to do ourselves, and to be contemptuous of other people's failures to do what comes easily to us. Compassion's hard.

I actually believe I have lots of compassion.

Compassion for those who've lost homes and family members in Haiti and Chile in the recent earthquakes. Compassion for those who've lost their jobs due to the recession. Compassion for those who've been victimized by crime.

Compassion for someone who broke his hand while punching the ground while leading a disc golf tournament..........

..... nah I'll pass on that compassion. I'll let Barry get compassion from you on that one. I only have so much compassion to give and have chosen to ration it to others. Of course that's my choice. If you choose to lend a bleeding heart to BS then go for it. I'll just think you're really silly that's all.

roadkill said:
If you choose to lend a bleeding heart to BS then go for it. I'll just think you're really silly that's all.

you are the one being silly dude. trying to be better than people on the internet sure means a lot in life. please stop, get back to memorial news that matters

I don't think you two are on the same page with the word compassion.

Also whenever I miss a putt, I sit down and meditate on it for 5 minutes. Once, when I was putting really bad, I had a round take me 8 hours.

victorb said:
roadkill said:

Ladies and gentlemen...may I present the only person on the planet who has never shown a moment of weakness...Roadkill!

(In my best Elvis voice) Thank you.. Thank you very much..

I don't have compassion for Barry, but I am empathetic because as a human being, it is normal for one to lose their temper in a moment of weakness.

He has already paid for his moment of weakness, no need to dogpile on him for something that happens to every single one of us - even though we might not react the same way to said moment of weakness that Barry did.

zj1002 said:
roadkill said:
If you choose to lend a bleeding heart to BS then go for it. I'll just think you're really silly that's all.

you are the one being silly dude. trying to be better than people on the internet sure means a lot in life. please stop, get back to memorial news that matters

Oh okay I'm the silly one. I should feel sorry for Barry for having broken his hand. Show compassion for him..... uh huh okay.

Please forgive me for finding this newsworthy that the leader of one of the biggest DG tournaments of the year had to withdraw from competition after injuring himself after punching his mini while it lay on hard sunbaked ground on a desert course.

Please carry on....

A person can feel bad that Barry broke his hand and think what he did was dumb. They aren't mutually exclusive.

veganray said:
Frank Delicious said:
They aren't mutually exclusive.
Unlike "spending more than 15 minutes per day on DGR" and "having your opinion on the matter mean a hill of beans to anybody in the 'real' world".

*checks amount of time spent on here today*

SHIT!

Latest posts