• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Relatively New

Lynn LeFey

Par Member
Hi all,

I first stepped onto a disc golf course less than 5 months ago, April 15, with my hubby. I had a supersoft Wizard putter. That was all. I threw it into a tree. I got another one. I threw THAT one into a lake the next weekend. The THIRD time... I got a putter (Eraser Wizard), a mid (used DX Roc) and a driver (a beaten to death Pro-D XL). Since then, I have only lost one other disc to a water hazard. And I've FOUND maybe half a dozen.

I started with no bag. When I got up to a handful of discs, I got an Innova Starter Bag. Just a few weeks ago, I got a used Dynamic Discs Soldier Bag with backstraps.

I'm 45. I'm currently driving about 250 feet, but the only hole I have to measure that on is our local course (Woodland Park, Collinsville IL). Hole 6, the only place with really wide open driving space faces West, with an essentially constance headwind. It is slightly uphill, then slightly downhill. So my actual level driving distance might be a hair over 250.

Short Range: Currently, I'm putting with an Eraser Wizard. My approach disc of preference is a Star Dart which recently replaced a Champion Aviar. I carry an R-Pro Hydra for shots around water hazards (see my history of feeding discs to bodies of water above).

Mid Range: Since I don't have a big arm, my bag kind of focusses on mids. I carry a Lucid EMAC Truth for soft fades, VIP Tursas for understable, Champion Mako3 for dead straight, Champion Roc3 for overstable. I also keep the first beat-up DX Roc in the bag for times when i fear losing a disc OR when I need real gentle touch on the shot. For no good reason, I have the best control of any disc with that Roc.

Control Drivers: I'm carrying a Champion Leopard for theoretically understable shots, but more for anhyzer flex. I have a Lucid Thief for stable. I don't have enough armspeed to even overpower the Leopard yet, but I'm getting there.

Distance Drivers: I have an Evolution Assassin I'm trying to get used to. I have a Champion Sidewinder that I occasionally bag depending on the course. I can throw a decent flex shot with it. And i have a Star Destroyer because my forehand is the worst over-anhyzered mess in creation, and I want it to come back left on some shots. I know the Destroyer is NOT in my range, but I use it as a kind of super-overstable. The Assassin may get booted if i can't figure it out, or grow into it.

My game. Solid putting range? MAYbe 15 feet. After that, it starts looking iffy. Best put ever was a 60 foot jump putt... once. Realistically, any thing outside 25 feet is pretty unlikely.

Approach is a real strength of mine, I'd say. While my putting isn't great, I'm able to put a disk within 15 feet of the pin from 150-175 feet pretty much every time, barring obstacles. Even then, I'm pretty good at weaseling shots in. Mostly I'm a left hand backhand player, but have a moderate left hand forehand. And when we started, I strained my arm enough that for about 2 weeks, I played right hand backhand. My right hand game is reserved for desperation shots now-adays, though. Hyzers have very good control, dead straight is almost 100% when i want it. I'm still working on figuring which discs will take which anhyzer lines and hold, or how fast they fade out, and sometimes still have trouble with the precise angles. My overhand game is pretty weak (tomahawks and thumbers), but i practice them a bit. I can do short rollers, 50 foot semi-circle shots great for getting out of 'the suck', not much more.

We have a local 'Play It Again Sports', where we have luckily been able to try a good number of discs relatively cheap. I don't have a brand I feel a need to be loyal to, and care more if the disc fits a need.

We (hubby and I) just went to our first PDGA event (as spectators) this past weekend, the Willmore Open in St. Louis. We followed the women's card. What shocked me was that I assumed I'd be Recreational level... where I THINK I'm actually maybe Intermediate. In any case, had we played, I would not have embarrassed myself too badly.

I started all this because my weight was creeping up, and i needed some activity that would keep me moving and motivated. This has definitely done that. I've lost a modest 10 lbs, but feel a lot better. We're out playing 4 or so times a week as weather allows... and assuming the 'feels like' temperature isn't over 100F. (I hate St. Louis summers)

We've gotten, and gotten RID OF a lot of other discs. Firebird, Katana, Teebird, Element, Stingray, Eagle. (probably more I'm not remembering). And I have a slowly growing stack of 'don't bag, don't wanna sell' discs, Anode, P2, Saint, a spare Wizard putter, etc.

Last I counted, and that was a few months ago, I'd hucked 3000 shots. I'm guessing I'm now in the 5000 range, not including times when we were just practicing and not keeping count of strokes.

Later this month, we'll be doing a one-disc challenge... with a Condor. I played our local course with one as practice. It was... interesting. It will definitely teach me 'hyzer flip to flat'. :D

Nice! Sounds like you have the noob sickness and are figuring it all out pretty well!

#hyzerflips4life

#welcometotheaddictionorsomething?!

Keep having fun and dont be shy to post any questions in thr newbie section. That is the whole point!:hfive:

Welcome! As someone who is new to the sport also, I share your excitement about it. I have been playing 6 months now and my game has improved dramatically in a short period of time due to diligent practice. I've bought a few discs and want to buy more, always searching for that perfect disc! Some discs that I think are useful to new players like myself are Buzzz, Claymore, River in lighter than max weight but not too light; say 160-170. I have found that this weight helps (or at least helped me) to get a few more feet of distance while not being so light as to be super-sensitive to nose angle and stuff. I also bought a basket on Amazon and spend a lot of time putting, which not coincidentally, is the strongest part of my game. I would look into either making/buying for your backyard if you have space. Obviously, seek advice here if you have questions; I have found nothing but a positive atmosphere and a wealth of knowledge on these boards. Anyway, sorry to ramble on. Welcome again!

Thanks for all the kind words and welcomes.

We went out yesterday in the muggy horror and just did practice shots. I worked on trying to get some control of my forehand. I think my angle of release is improving quickly. I can get about 180 feet straight now (fade being disc-depenedent). I had one REALLY good full power forehand with a 160g Blizzard Krait, maybe 250' or so. That might not sound great, but it's the limit of my range backhand, and doing it forehand was thrilling for me.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I simply CAN'T get the x-step down for backhand throws. I always get hyzer bad when I try. Some day I'll just work on ironing that out, but for some reason, the x-step for a forehand throw is natural. That means that to get 250' backhand feels like I'm going to tear my arm off, where the 250' forehand was... meh. Effort, but not trauma.

At 45, I'm too old to get a frickin' sports injury! :D

As a fellow lefty I say, "Don't let righty bring you down!" *head lowered, fist raised(left one)*

As long time player (short term poster) who forhands and backhands, I suggest not throwing higher than 9 speed discs until you are first amazed by your spectacular play and then subsequently are dissapointed that you aren't better...:\ I only carry 2 "high speed drivers" and they only come out when my only goal is to throw far, that is, rarely. Any time I want to throw to somewhere, I throw my firebird, thunderbird, teebird, leopard, on down.

Welcome from Rockland Park

but for some reason, the x-step for a forehand throw is natural. That means that to get 250' backhand feels like I'm going to tear my arm off, where the 250' forehand was... meh. Effort, but not trauma.

At 45, I'm too old to get a frickin' sports injury! :D

The x-step FH is a more natural motion for most of us mortals. For me, it isn't distance, it's control on the flick. I still have some work to do there.

Last edited:
I'm never sure what 'good' is for control. I try to estimate my accuracy by degrees. I think I'm accurate to 3 degrees horizontal normally, backhand. That is, it might go 3 degrees left OR right of my intended aim. I'm frequently (maybe 50% of the time) pretty well dead on, and an occasional grip slip might go 15 degrees off. Vertical accuracy is WAY better, maybe 1 degree normally.

Yesterday, I'd say I was maybe within 5 degrees, forehand. At that level of accuracy, I feel pretty safe starting to use it on the course. That's at something like 60-70% power. If I heaved it, accuracy on the horizontal went down to maybe 10 degrees. And (way) worse, Hyzer/anhyzer angle started going a bit wonky, usually leaning anhyzer.

That 'sports injury at 45' thing... when we started, I overplayed, and would end games with my elbow and shoulder just screaming in pain. Usually that would be over in an hour, but at one point, it got so bad I switched to playing offhand for a week. You want a real challenge? Try throwing with your off hand. Anyway, so now i can heave and rip all I want... backhand, and I get no pain. But it still hurts to throw forehand, so I'm easing into it. I did... I dunno... maybe 60 shots, half long, near full power, and half short with very little power, the other day. A bit of soreness, but nothing I'd actually call pain. I get more pain from the random 'I slept in a weird position' than I did from that.

Picking up a sport when you're older is not awesome. Okay, it's kind of awesome, but the associated aches and pains aren't. :D

Sorry for the double-post...

F.Luke: The two fastest discs I currently bag are a Destroyer and Blizzard Krait. The Destroyer is for two very specific shots on our course where I MUST go left on a long turn. If I could find a slower speed disc that gave me that dependable turn I'd disc down. The Krait is just an experiment on seeing if lighter discs even help. So far... meh. And, I occasionally throw in a (pretty beat-up) Sidewinder. My 'drivers' right now are almost all fairway... a Leopard (speed 6), Witness (speed 8), FD Jackal (speed 7), and a Thief (speed 8). Because, yeah, I got some faster discs early on and was pretty disappointed. I'll almost certainly pull the Krait out of the bag, and give it a rest for a while until I get near to its speed. Right now, I think I'm borderline 6 armspeed. Just starting to get the Leopard to roll. But it's in Champion, so might be a little more overstable than a 'normal' Leopard. That would just leave to Destroyer at speed 12 way out of my range, and like I said, it's for 2 specialty shots.

Fwiw one of my longest throws ever was with a speed 6 disc. Faster stuff is fun but most players truly do not need a 10+speed mold.

Mids/putters are your friend. Specially a little lighter weight.

Play the finesse game vs power. Lot easier on the body to throw lighter wt/understable discs and actually helps understand how the hell to throw well at the same time.

I figured I'd post about my experience yesterday with a new adversary: Wind.

Strong, gusty, swirly wind.

Wow.

So, I said earlier that I am borderline able to get a speed 6 Champion Leopard to roll the way it's supposed to in dead wind. I couldn't throw the Leopard yesterday. It rolled every time I tried. So I stepped up to the Witness, and it rolled in the wind, so I stepped up to a Thief, and IT rolled on a few shots. So... I stepped up to the Destroyer, and it held a slight anhyzer line and rode it to the ground.

On a hundred foot approach, I feared having my disc roll over, and threw my insanely overstable Roc3. It wavered but held. I'm about 80% certain it's more overstable than my Thief.

About 5 holes into the round, at a range of 15 feet, my RFF Wizard putter took a 2 foot air bounce and flew over the goal. It was the most insane thing I've ever seen. After that, I was putting with the Thief. In fact, I threw the Thief for about 70% of my shots that whole game.

On one drive, I threw a Destroyer on what LOOKED like a perfect line, until a tailwind gust just slammed it into the ground about a hundred feet in front of me. I had a 20 foot putt where the disc just dropped like a stone out of the air, missing about nine feet short.

I still ended up scoring really low (for me). And it certainly was... 'interesting'.

Oh yeah, the wind is the most frustrating, and fun obstacle to me. It's a real challenge that is very satisfying to do well in.

Don't give up on your forehand yet. once you get it, you'll find a good forehand to shave a stroke or two from your game. Just remember to keep your palm up and keep your arm relaxed. Palm towards the sky, and I will fly!

Yep. Still working on the forehand. I threw maybe 6 shots forehand yesterday. With the wind, it wasn't a really fair trial.

A problem I'm having with forehand is that, for no good reason, I get 'snap' forehand. NOT backhand. And not a consistent AMOUNT forehand. So, when I throw backhand, I put x amount of force on the shot, it goes X distance. Forehand, I put a MUCH lower y amount of force on the disc, and it goes like X backhand... or sometimes JUST KEEPS GOING. Great for distance. Terrible for accuracy.

But keep in mind, I've thrown way less than 200 forehand shots, ever. Even practicing. I JUST got to the point where my elbow will tolerate throwing more than about 30 forehand shots in practice.

Still working on it, though. Thanks. :thmbup:

Yeah I did that at first too. I have found thinking about follow through, on a nice straight line with the palm up helps a lot. Try to think about pushing the disc on its line more than throwing it if that makes sense. I definitely get significantly more power from forehands, because I struggle badly with backhand form. I can, on a good day, consistently hit 400' forehand, but about 320' backhand.

Oh, I DREAM of the day I can break 300'.

In fact, it's my 'goal'. If I had a 300' drive, I'd be happy. Right now... hovering at or just below 250'.

Well... I don't like to BRAG or anything... but i just shot 9 over par on my local course. 64 on a 55.

I'm sure that sounds like crap to a lot of folks, but it beat my previous best score by TEN STROKES.

So, I'm guessing you can see why I'm so happy. :D

And that includes a triple bogey on one hole and a lost stroke for OB into a water hazard.

I will not see that score again for a long... long time.

Wow, that's great.

I shot two throws better than my all time best today, 62 on a par 54, moderate winds, using only two discs. Same course and conditions on the same day, using a full bag equaled 71. :doh:

Better for you is yet to come soon. Start is the hardest.

Last edited:
Awesome to hear about another all time best.:thmbup:

BTW... what two discs?

We're going to do a 1-disc challenge this weekend with a Condor, and in preparation, we did the course already with just that disc, and I shot (I think) 2 strokes over what I normally play... with ONE disc. And that one disc was a speed 3. :wall:

:D

Sounds like you are diving in head first. If you want a true idea of how far you are throwing it and a good practice environment I would suggest a football field. Go out with almost every disc you have and throw upright to upright.

I used the local middle school's football field until school started back up. Now that it's football season, getting time on a field is near impossible.

But yeah, it's a great idea.