• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Removing sharpie from a disc.

I use Goof Off and it takes the ink right off of champion discs or dx discs. However I tried to take the ink off of a star disk and it did nothing.

In the thread that is above someone said that goof off will ruin the plastic, However it did not really affect the discs that I used it on.

The trick is to dissolve the ink, but not dissolve the plastic. Acetone tends to be rather aggressive toward plastics (it depends on the type of plastic, of course). I know from experience that acetone will etch Star plastic, as in the process of stripping off stamps with it it drove some of the stamp down into the plastic (and picked up some of the color of the plastic on the towel I was using). Lacquer thinner did roughly the same thing.

Some of the simple alcohols (ethanol, isopropanol) provide a viable alternative that will dissolve sharpie ink, but are far less harmful to plastics. I'd try one of these first. Rubbing alcohol or gas line antifreeze would be good bets. Only move on to less plastic friendly solvents (like acetone, gasoline, etc) if the alcohol doesn't work. Actually I'd stay away from gasoline for safety reasons. While all of the above are flammable, gasoline is the easiest to accidentally ignite and the most difficult to put out once burning.

removing dye...

umm, no. Starting over is the only thing that works. I bought a first run used skeeter today. I think it is DX but I'm not certain. It has a name in sharpie so I will try some of these methods to remove it. The disc is in perfect shape and I got it for $5. I'll let you know in a couple of days if it worked.

How to get sharpie off of discs?

I have never tried using anything before, but I just wanted to see what works to get your name off the back of disc, etc. Something that most people would have in their house and is not extremely expensive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

What about the expo/dry erase marker trick? Never tried it but I think there is already a thread on here for this question and a lot of people said dry erase marker works well.

permanent marker is permanent for a reason :) it saturates layers deep into what it's wrote onto. You would have to remove plastic from the disc for all of it to be removed. That is in essense whatever extremely strong cleaner or acid you are going to use is doing, removing layers of plastic. This will likely cause weight differences and if not used evenly, the flight pattern.

You ain't getting it off star...I just learned that!!

Its not hard to get off champion plastic but I just tried to remove a name from a disc I found (in the mailbox) and no dice...the dry erase on top actually was harder to erase than normal dry erase.

I think it becomes a part of star plastic but only sits on top of champ.

Last edited:
i pull discs from a lake that the sharpie is still legible after years of sitting there..why not just write over the other name/number?..i have to be wary of threads like this though...there are scumbags who collect lost discs and "erase" info to re-sell them...

I know what you are saying but if everyone was a pedophile I wouldn't let my daughter go outside.

You just can't think that everything everyone does is negative...it will eat you up.

not everyone but just being cautious i guess..i quit putting my phone number in my plastic(just name and pdga number now) because kids find them near bufallo/rochester and call you..they laugh and say, you will never see it again..once i have seen one of my discs with my name and number still legible where someone tried to erase it..ask the guy, where did you get that?... " i bought it for $10 from some kid"..

Goof Off or Brake Clean work very well - Home Depot / Hardware store <$5

How much you can get off is largely dependent on the kind of marker and the kind of plastic.