• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH on dogleg left/ RHBH dog leg right

turkey67

Bogey Member
Imagine for a moment.... Your on the course crushing it... Rattling bird's out of chains.. You walk up through the woods to the next tee and there it is, that 340' hole that bends the opposite way you throw.

You take a deep breath, and think about possibly throwing that... sigh... other way to throw.... But there is dense brush on either side of a 20-25' wide fairway and more than 5 ft in your wasting an overhand stoke just to get back on track. Muti bogey potential imminent, THE SHIPS BEEN HIT ALARMS sound in your head and you slap yourself lightly to awaken from your delusion.

You know better. You know that you can overpower a mid or fairway and have it track towards the baskets location before lightly fading into the middle of open non-dense vegetation. So you drive. Cleanly avoiding all of paragraph 2 and shoot another rare flag worthy bird.

So as you've gather'd my opposite throwing style is poor to say the least. With work, family life, and other responsibilities it makes it really tough to do all the field work to improve such said laughable "other throwing style", however, my main throwing style is quite good for drives and approaches, both long and short.

This leaves me with questions. Out of desperation, I disc'd down to fairways and was shocked by how well it turned out, so much so that the little bit of backhand I was practicing and using is all but a thing of the past except on putts and short approach's. Now for those questions.

For those of you that are very dominant in one stroke or the other:

What is your go-to for these types of holes? How do you throw it?

How much power are you able to put out and still keep your discs from turning too much? (How do you control the turn)

How does being dominant in one stroke-type affect your bag? Do you throw few or many?

... and save the "Learn the throw backhand". Its coming... just not well enough to shave strokes just yet.

I have a 150 DX Shark that is just getting into it's "sweet spot" as far as being worn in. And I can turn that thing over and make it go pretty much wherever I want. My technique is just make sure my shoulders are a little more squared off to the left of my typical throws (RHBH), and rip the hell out of it and watch it glide :D

This is the exact reason I learned backhand & forehand. But b/c you don't wanna hear that, for this shot I'd probably throw a turnover/hyzer flip with a beat in DX Roc backhand. The reason I'd choose a turnover/hyzer flip over a anhyzer is I feel that it is easier to throw a shot flat or with hyzer than it is to throw with anhyzer. If it was windy though I'd be more likely to throw an anhyzer/sidearm shot. If I was feeling really adventurous I would throw an Aviar.

Learn to get at least proficient enough backhand to hit the easy fairways with it and/or buy the most under-stable disc you can find in cheap plastic and learn to flip it around corners.

For a shots like that, I like to use the somewhat longer kind of sweeping anny shot. It's pretty difficult to throw a shot dead straight and have it flip exaclty when you need it FH, so I find it easier to have it start on the right edge of the fairway/treeline with a pretty strong turn so it sweeps across to the left.

IMO it's a much easier shot to throw with an easier 'window' to hit and still end up ok and where you want to vs trying to play the thread the needle game and throw a perfect dogleg left from RHFH.

I am RHBH dominate. I don't have much of a FH. I can use it to get out of trouble, but cant get much distance out of it, and cant control it well enough for touch shots, so I'd say I am in a similar boat as you.

It's all about the anhyzer throws for me. In the situation proposed, a tight lane bending the opposite way of your natural throw, I have found trying to get a US disc to "turn over" in the desired way can be a lot more difficult to control than putting a more stable disc on a forced anhyzer line. I have found especially that if you choose a disc with good forward penetrating fade, when it fights out of the anhyzer it doesn't die too badly, but rather straightens out and glides a bit before coming to a stop. It is a very beautiful thing to watch when you hit it right.

I don't really understand the question. If you are only good at throwing FH hyzer shots, then anything turning the other way will be tough. Whether it is an anny, a turnover, or a BH. It's all a different shot with a learning curve to get to work well. I would still say learning a BH would be the greatest benefit.

Learning to throw a FH has done more for my game than learning to work my BH shots better by a longshot(anny's, turnovers, hyzer flips, etc.) Learning BH would do the same for you.

I throw about 60% as far FH as BH, but the times I am able to use it on course definitely saves shots every single round.

I throw 100% left hand backhand off the tee. I have understable discs in all of my distance ranges.
For a 340' dogleg to the left, it would depend at what point it turns. If it's only 200-250 when it turns and I can't risk going long, I'll throw an ESP Comet flat and low at 70% power. If it's 250-300+, I'll throw a Champ Leopard flat, low and at 70% power or so.

Learn to get at least proficient enough backhand to hit the easy fairways with it and/or buy the most under-stable disc you can find in cheap plastic and learn to flip it around corners.

This will happen in time. But im only accurate up to 175-200 an need a lot of space. In the scenario mentioned in the original post, using rhbh I'm usually double bogey, using rhfh I'm birdie or par. It kills my score.

I work 50 hr weeks so when I do play its more putting practice, and approach practice. I occasionally throw a 2nd or 3rd shot rhbh on the open holes.

The thread is more intended to find band-aid and skill shot solutions from players like myself until the rhbh is strong enough to be trusted.

I am RHBH dominate. I don't have much of a FH. I can use it to get out of trouble, but cant get much distance out of it, and cant control it well enough for touch shots, so I'd say I am in a similar boat as you.

It's all about the anhyzer throws for me. In the situation proposed, a tight lane bending the opposite way of your natural throw, I have found trying to get a US disc to "turn over" in the desired way can be a lot more difficult to control than putting a more stable disc on a forced anhyzer line. I have found especially that if you choose a disc with good forward penetrating fade, when it fights out of the anhyzer it doesn't die too badly, but rather straightens out and glides a bit before coming to a stop. It is a very beautiful thing to watch when you hit it right.

I'll have to try this. I've been successful with hyzer flipping my leopard and warship to track left, but they can be a tad too touchy, at times flipping over too much sending them a bit off course.

The anny line with OS disc sounds like a pretty good idea. What are you throwing on those shots?

I'll have to try this. I've been successful with hyzer flipping my leopard and warship to track left, but they can be a tad too touchy, at times flipping over too much sending them a bit off course.

The anny line with OS disc sounds like a pretty good idea. What are you throwing on those shots?

I think you've answered your own question. Keep practicing this until you can control it better. Find a field with tree, goal or other obstacle and work on trying to turning the disc into and/or around it. Maybe get another slightly heavier Leo or Warship to help stabilize it.

If you are only accurate to 175 or 200, I would not recommend the anny line with OS disc option. Since it takes more power to get an OS to ride a turnover line, accuracy definitely has the potential to suffer.
Getting more US discs to make a smooth turn, however is best achieved by throwing with less power, which ideally results in better accuracy.

This will happen in time. But im only accurate up to 175-200 an need a lot of space. In the scenario mentioned in the original post, using rhbh I'm usually double bogey, using rhfh I'm birdie or par. It kills my score.

I work 50 hr weeks so when I do play its more putting practice, and approach practice. I occasionally throw a 2nd or 3rd shot rhbh on the open holes.

The thread is more intended to find band-aid and skill shot solutions from players like myself until the rhbh is strong enough to be trusted.

It really depends on the line I want. The more OS the quicker it will fight back and give you a nice S curve, so for more OS disc from putter up to driver, I will throw an ion/tensor/predator/boss. If I want to it hold the anny line for a while, and fight back at the end to land flat I will use my newish star teebird, a volt, and a newer Z-comet. I have to say, the comet is the most fun to throw for this shot because of its glide.

the OP describes about half the holes in North and South Carolina. the shot he describes calls for either a Leopard or a Fuse depending on how I feel. but that's me.

The OP should tackle this by sectioning the hole. Just throw a straight easy no fading shot right down the gut and then throw the approach close enough for a tap in par. Next hole. If you really can throw a FH 340 with accuracy then what are you asking us for advice for?

the OP describes about half the holes in North and South Carolina. the shot he describes calls for either a Leopard or a Fuse depending on how I feel. but that's me.

The OP should tackle this by sectioning the hole. Just throw a straight easy no fading shot right down the gut and then throw the approach close enough for a tap in par. Next hole. If you really can throw a FH 340 with accuracy then what are you asking us for advice for?

This kills me: OP asks for advice, and someone comes in here and makes a snarky reply. Granted, you gave some advice, but the whole "If you really can throw a FH 340 with accuracy then what are you asking us for advice for?" is completely and totally unnecessary. Adds nothing to the conversation at all, just reflects poorly on you.

Sorry, that set me off. /threadjack

On topic, I would suggest learning to throw understable plastic at different power levels and with different amounts of hyzer. Switch out some putting practice for a field day. You will never learn how your discs fly if you never throw them in the air a million different ways on a million different lines (stated as such for hyperbole). But seriously, going to the field and throwing every disc in your bag over and over will let you see what discs do what when thrown certain ways, as well as it will help clean up your form.

First, look up. Maybe a spike hyzer available up top. Second, some holes set up for a par. Midrange to the bend, upshot to the pin. Take your three and live to birdie another hole. I can't throw 340 anyway. Good luck.

First, look up. Maybe a spike hyzer available up top. Second, some holes set up for a par. Midrange to the bend, upshot to the pin. Take your three and live to birdie another hole. I can't throw 340 anyway. Good luck.

This is good. I used this while I was feeling out rhbh. I still ended up in deep woods lol. It does work well an comes into play time to time with my rhfh.

On topic, I would suggest learning to throw understable plastic at different power levels and with different amounts of hyzer. Switch out some putting practice for a field day. You will never learn how your discs fly if you never throw them in the air a million different ways on a million different lines (stated as such for hyperbole). But seriously, going to the field and throwing every disc in your bag over and over will let you see what discs do what when thrown certain ways, as well as it will help clean up your form.

For rhbh:I have done this quite a number of times. I need major work on: footwork, timing, pull through, and follow through. Essentially my entire rhbh needs complete overhaul. Everything seems ok in the wide open field, but as soon as there is something in the form of an obsticle or it gets tight I hit it and end up settling for no distance and an extremely poor lye. Hence the thread.

For rhfh: I do field work with this as well, I'm currently working with my leopard, warships, and tangent.

I'm gonna start playing league soon and see where that takes me as for as rhbh goes.

I'm assuming you mean having to throw an anny where you're more comfortable throwing hyzers. For me, it's a case for a Champion Mamba thrown with a little anny. Will do an amazing left to right long curve and will fade back with a little hyzer at the end. Bird! :) lol.. And if that won't work, like others have said, throw a safe drive and work on an even better approach shot for par!

Rollering your strong shot will get you there till you practiced the ( weak side ) airshot enugh to make it work.

But long term ( as you certinal yknow ) it is good to have both shots.

I'm assuming you mean having to throw an anny where you're more comfortable throwing hyzers. For me, it's a case for a Champion Mamba thrown with a little anny. Will do an amazing left to right long curve and will fade back with a little hyzer at the end. Bird! :) lol.. And if that won't work, like others have said, throw a safe drive and work on an even better approach shot for par!

Since I improved my rhfh form I very rarely throw anny's. I threw the ships and tangents last night for about 15 min (field next to my house) mostly hyzer flipping the tangent and going gentle hyzer/anny with varrying power (more for hyzer and less for anny's) on the ships. I also messed with varying grips, and more vs less air.

That long left to right is so so sexy when it hits just right.