• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHFH vs LHBH?

Rossosaurus

Title pretty much sums it up! I have a pretty good RHBH but throw a ball with my left hand so my natural forehand would be LHFH and have the same spin as my backhand. So I'm curious is there any real reason to learn the RHFH over a LHBH if both are going to take me the same amount if time to learn body movements and muscle memory? I have been trying to learn the RHFH for a while with little success and just threw some LHBH yesterday for fun and I think it will progress much faster than the forehead since I know how to throw the backhand I am just transferring the skills to my other side. I never really hear about anyone throwing backhand on both sides, but I feel it might work for me

Most people aren't ambidextrous. Gowith the back hand. It's easier on the body then a forehand.

I am a RHBH player. Tweaked my elbow last year, and took 4 months off to rest it, and learned LHBH. Got it pretty serviceable. Turnover shots were always difficult though, and I never could get the hang of LHFH.

But I am glad I took the time to learn it, as I will always be able to play as long as I have one good arm. I think learning forehand with your dominant hand is easier than learning on your non-dominant hand, but YMMV. I think its nice to have a good main throwing style from each hand though, especially if you are older and/or prone to injuries.

Good luck!

I throw with both hands. I broke my throwing hand and spent the summer of 17 in a cast for 8 weeks, so I spent all summer throwing left handed. I enjoyed it so much that I just kept doing it.

It was insanely hard at first, but once you get over the initial hump, you'll start to progress fast. I was never ambidextrous naturally at all, I did it through sheer will and determination.

I'm sure it's good for you physically to throw from both sides so you get both torso swings, I would think that should help with flexibility. I do practice off handed quite regularly still to this day.

I vaguely remember another long thread about this. Too lazy to find a link now...

In general, it's good to try both. Backhand will eventually give you more distance potential but takes more work to perfect, but it's certainly good to take advantage of the easier distance that will come with the forehand.

Thanks everyone! I'll give LHBH a try as I think it'll work out better than continuing to force myself to try and learn RHFH

I forgot to mention that forehand definitely has some major advantages, particularly in situations with difficult stances (e.g. where you need to straddle around a tree) or where you need to release the disc farther from your body to get over or around obstacles (in bushes, etc.). Learn the forehand for sure, but don't emphasize the max distance forehand. Instead, focus on the 100', 150', or 200' range. Personally, I also find them a bit more easy for touch shots.

Phil Arthur is the only pro I can remember seeing who had backhands dialed from both sides.

Matt Dollar is pretty dialed throwing with his LHBH for a RHBH/overhand dominant player. Seems he would rather throw a thumber or LHBH for a shot that he wants to fade right.

Latest posts