• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Rhyno versus Gator?

chowee21

Par Member
Looking for a mid range approach and head wind disc. I've heard good thing about both... Thoughts on which one I should go with, why? And plastic/ weight suggestions?

Gator is a brick of a mid that you can absolutely mash on. Fades every time. The Rhino is a Putt & Approach disc that is more of an overstable floater. Not really in the same class of disc except for that that are both overstable. For an OS mid, it's the Gator. The Westside Harp is more like a shorter Gator than the Rhino is.

Yeah they fill the role you're looking at in different ways. Gator is faster and more overstable, and a little more prone to skips. Rhynos are straighter and slower, and stay put better. There's room for both really.

If I were going to choose one as a dedicated windy upshot disc I'd choose the Rhyno. I carry an Envy for that slot over an OS mid for similar reasons. Putters like that are very easy to throw controlled shots with.

what worldwide said,

I carry both, gator is a utility disc while a rhyno is a workhorse.

for rhynos I like the "flat top DX" runs for putting, and the firm pro rhynos for upshots.

I would carry a champ gator and use it for gator shots.. it's the firebird of midrages.

I'll posit something unique...why not have the best of both worlds, or as close as you can get in disc golf? I suggest trying the Scale from Reptilian Disc Golf. I know it's not really what you're asking, but I love this disc. It has a similar feel to a Rhyno and is a bit longer and more beefy. It has more glide but less distance potential than a Gator.

So if you want to carry one mold to cover both duties, that's what I would go with.

A big difference between the g* Gator and Dx and Champ Gators is the lack of a bead. The g* and * Gator does not have a bead which gives it a different feel in the hand. Not better or worse, just different. I go back and forth between a Dx Gator and a Champ Glow Gator. The Dx has a mild dome, the glow is FAF and is mega OS. The Dx remains OS (but a bit more compliant) even after a considerable amount of wear. I like it.

Would a DX version of these ever beat into a somewhat straight flier?

I'll posit something unique...why not have the best of both worlds, or as close as you can get in disc golf? I suggest trying the Scale from Reptilian Disc Golf. I know it's not really what you're asking, but I love this disc. It has a similar feel to a Rhyno and is a bit longer and more beefy. It has more glide but less distance potential than a Gator.

So if you want to carry one mold to cover both duties, that's what I would go with.

Or you could stay on topic and just bag a rhyno and gator. Or just a rhyno. Or just a gator.

A big difference between the g* Gator and Dx and Champ Gators is the lack of a bead. The g* and * Gator does not have a bead which gives it a different feel in the hand. Not better or worse, just different. I go back and forth between a Dx Gator and a Champ Glow Gator. The Dx has a mild dome, the glow is FAF and is mega OS. The Dx remains OS (but a bit more compliant) even after a considerable amount of wear. I like it.

Wow. Now I have to try a gstar gator. I have a tourney stamped metal flake champ gator that I don't bag even though I love the flight because it hurts to throw forehand.

To the OP: try a pig. A little faster than a rhyno, less skippy than a gator. Feels great in the hand.

Pro Rhynos from the Innova factory store are what you want for throwing, and my preference in Gator are the jolly launcher ring of gators also from the factory store. As others have said they are pretty different discs. I use Rhynos for almost every throw 250ft and in. My gator gets maybe 1 or 2 throws a round since it is really overstable and glideless, but when you need it you need it.

Grab one of each and enjoy.

I carry a metal flake champ and a glow champion gator, both are FAF. The gators are great discs because they do have a distance limit (for me around 250ft on flat land) so you can crush it and know you won't overshoot the target.

What I noticed about the gator is that you always have to throw it with a little more oomph than you expect (its a brick). The gator is also the newbie friendly sidearm disc because you can release it with lots of anhyzer and it'll still fight out and fade back.

You can be off with the release with forehand/backhand but as long as you put the disc 15ft of where you want it to start fading it fades hard towards the target and in that circle.

It really opens up a ton of lines: such as huge sexy S-Curves, spike hyzers, huge skip shots off hyzers and curves. Its also a pretty good putter in those huge gusts of winds when you have no confidence from even 15ft.

for me...the negatives for the gator are if you're using them too much its like using firebirds/PD2/X Calibers and overstable bricks too much.. it affects your form and can throw your regular driving/upshot form out of whack. Also it can skip HUGE (the champion versions) so you think you put a good shot in it hits 15ft away from the basket then takes a huge skip sidewards putting out out of the circle (so you really have to factor in the skip).

the jolly launcher champion FAF gators are currently available again at the innova factory store at retail pricing. for some reason those end up shooting up in price a ton when they eventually get sold out. A lot of them go for $30+

I've used the rhyno and really liked it. its like a gator-lite in putt and approach form. its another great disc to do those touchy flicks with to get out of trouble, windy approaches, and putts.

I did eventually switch it out with a P2 though. I like my putters and approach discs to be the same shape (i putt with aviars and novas) so I was curious about the P2 (they say its the very OS version of an Aviar) and its just that.

Wow. Now I have to try a gstar gator. I have a tourney stamped metal flake champ gator that I don't bag even though I love the flight because it hurts to throw forehand.

Sorry I was wrong about the g* Gator not having a bead. It does have a bead. :doh: My bad.

I bag both a gator and rhyno. I have the gator in CFR metal flake champion and the rhyno is a slightly gummy champion. They are both overstable but have different uses. The rhyno is great for upshots out to 200ft dependable fade and really easy to judge. I also use it to putt (I like champion) I am more of a spin putter and have not had any issues with it, its my goto putter. It hits and sticks very few problems with skipping or roll aways. The gator is my mid range meat hook and can pull off some really cool flex shots to get around obstacles, easy to range just like the rhyno, easy to sidearm, watch out for the skip or use to your advantage. Like said earlier its the firebird of mid ranges.

To the OP: try a pig. A little faster than a rhyno, less skippy than a gator. Feels great in the hand.

Less skippy then a gator? I thought gators were skipless?

I guess the objective of the post was to find a good headwind putter and an approach disc that sticks the landing.

Would a DX version of these ever beat into a somewhat straight flier?
Both discs will season into straight flyers and even flippy, if not damaged enough to be retired. A friend of mine uses dx and a MF champ gator. He uses the DX more or less like a putter, it will turnover nice and controlled or thrown a hair nose up will fly straight. The MF is about as beefy a disc as I have ever seen, midrange or not.

Less skippy then a gator? I thought gators were skipless?

I guess the objective of the post was to find a good headwind putter and an approach disc that sticks the landing.

Yeah the gator definitely skips, at least the metal flake one I have does. The rhyno is a great windy day putter, one of the best. I've started using it as my everyday putter because my home course is a mile from the ocean and it made more sense to learn putting with the rhyno on calm days than to get used to two different putting putters.

The pig is the same top as the rhyno with a lower profile, blockier wing. I like it better than the rhyno for longer approaches. The gator is more of a utility disc for me.