• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River gold or opto?? andwhy

walkersfriend-sd

Bogey Member
Hey guys im gonna pick up a river here soon and i was wondering should i get it in gold or opto plastic?? and why

I would go with a GL River... They seem to be flatter on top and more understable. I believe the GL River is more of a compliment to the Striker when it's in GL plastic.

Also, on a side note, I think the GL plastic gives me more control or more "touch" on my drives.

id go GL first, because it will beat up quicker and is slightly less stable than opto. if you end up liking the river, you can later buy an opto and have a more stable and less stable one - instead of getting an opto, liking it, getting a GL, and having a bunch more overlap.

I keep both in the bag. As already mentioned, GL is a great straight thrower with endless glide. The Opto gets a nice fade on the end with the exact same throwing motion, and works a little better for those "tunnel left" shots. But the GL is the one that everybody talks about when discussing the "fly forever" charactistics of the River, so I'd say go there first.

Regardless of plastic, get a domey one.

really? i have a few of each in both plastics (no uber domey ones), but currently am throwing a flat GL and a mild domed opto. poppy top is the way to go?

I agree with the both comment. I carry a lighter GL for most duties, and a heavier Opto for some wind and a little more fade. But, I've never thrown a bad River either way. But I have thrown a River bad.

I throw GL Rivers and Opto Strikers..a deadly fairway combo.

Same with me. I have a flatter GL River(173g) and it is just the right amount of understable. I've been beating the hell out of it for a while now, it it's flight hasn't changed much-just pure money off the shelf.

Regardless of plastic, get a domey one.

This is the truth. The domey ones seem to have a longer glide IMO versus the flat ones.

Going back on topic, I carry both a GL and Opto, but mine are used in almost opposite of most people. My Opto is a 172g domey one that is beat just right where it's straight or annys only, where my GL is a 179g that is straight to hyzer with just a touch of fade on it.

Basically what everyone said. It really depends on what you plan to use it for and how you throw. If you like a more finesse type disc, go with GL. If you want something a bit more stable for more powerful drives, go Opto.

I have 2,both gl. One is flat and pretty understable( about 4 months older than the other) and one that is domey. The domey one seemed more stable out of the box but beat in to a nice straight flyer with glide for days.

Whatever you pick,I know you will enjoy

Gold line and for the sole reason they are easier to find, optos are often quite clear.

This. GL is prettier, easier to find, and most people say has better grip than Opto in inclement weather.
"GL beats in faster" is a relative arguement too- Mine is beat pretty well, but still flies the same as new. I think it's 100% worth the extra $1-2 for GL over Opto in the River mold.

Same as most I suppose, but I throw both. I started with GL, and bought a few opto for stability. If I had to keep just one in my bag, it'd be the 167g white GL. That things works magic.

Opto for the durability. I throw a lighter 172g that I can overpower and it acts like a beat heavier GL. At the lighter weight I can also power down on it and work it like a mid. I also have a 178g Opto that has a little more stability because of the added weight. At the heavier weight I can really pound it and not have to be so clean with my form and know that it will hold its line. But......seek out the domey ones like everyone says.

Latest posts