• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River

matrix2113

Double Eagle Member
Been looking into one of these. What's the best type of plastic to buy it in? I'm not familiar with any of Lat 64's products.

Noill Golf was wowing us all with a River in the Gold Line plastic. Barely anything on it, and it just gliiiiides and gllliiiiiiiides and then glides some more! :thmbup:

Edit: I believe it's called "Gold Line"

Jukeshoe: <---Not up on all these fancy-schmacy plastics and foreign disc makers...

been hearing a fair bit of buzz about these myself.

now the stupid question everyone is afraid to ask: what's the innova equivalent?

now the stupid question everyone is afraid to ask: what's the innova equivalent?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing hahaha. But i've just heard great things about the gold line

Some real good dope about the river in here.

The consensus is Opto/GL doesn't make much of a different on these discs. However, the weight of the disc does.
  • For a flippy river with minor final flight fade stay between 160 and 168 (think Leopard).
  • For a mild a mild turn with a bit more final flight fade stay 168-173 (think shorter valkyrie).
  • For a stable flier with moderate fade stay 173+ (think Teebird).

I dont know if its actually shorter than a Valk but what they seem to me is to fly like an already beat DX teebird, and put those weights JRawk has to flight stability for how beat of a DX Teebird you'd be thinking of but with more glide, and its not actually beat and in better plastic.

I use Goldline because it was offered in lower weights for my 161 gram first one and got a 2nd in 171 and didnt want to change the plastic.

Great disc!

The consensus is Opto/GL doesn't make much of a different on these discs. However, the weight of the disc does.
  • For a flippy river with minor final flight fade stay between 160 and 168 (think Leopard).
  • For a mild a mild turn with a bit more final flight fade stay 168-173 (think shorter valkyrie).
I think you're giving it more stability than it really is. I use a 175 GL River and brand new it was way less stable than my teebird. The river is honestly replacing my XL for long turnovers and annys. I'm thinking about picking up an Opto for rolling duties.

I agree with Techno, Rivers have the potential to go as far and farther than valkyries with their massive glide. I hesitated when putting in "shorter" valkyrie but did it because somebody would have said "Valk holds the distance record, noob" or something.

I think you're giving it more stability than it really is. I use a 175 GL River and brand new it was way less stable than my teebird. The river is honestly replacing my XL for long turnovers and annys. I'm thinking about picking up an Opto for rolling duties.

There were a bunch of initial GL rivers that were understable. Could be one of those. Or my weenie arm can't generate enough mustard to flip a 175+.

I have some thoughts in that other thread, but I'd like to add that I've been using my GL River for a few months as my primary driver now and it has noticeably beaten in. It started out pretty straight with a hint of understability, and now it will turn over if I'm not super careful. So I'm carrying a new GL and the beat one. I'm considering trying one in Opto to see if it holds the stability for longer.

IMO, this disc goes in the control driver slot. You need something more stable to complement it with, as I do not feel comfortable throwing the River with much wind or if I'm worried about movement to the right. I use an S-PD for the more stable complement currently. I think a Teebird-like disc would also work well for that, I just don't have one atm.

I have some thoughts in that other thread, but I'd like to add that I've been using my GL River for a few months as my primary driver now and it has noticeably beaten in. It started out pretty straight with a hint of understability, and now it will turn over if I'm not super careful. So I'm carrying a new GL and the beat one. I'm considering trying one in Opto to see if it holds the stability for longer.

IMO, this disc goes in the control driver slot. You need something more stable to complement it with, as I do not feel comfortable throwing the River with much wind or if I'm worried about movement to the right. I use an S-PD for the more stable complement currently. I think a Teebird-like disc would also work well for that, I just don't have one atm.

I had a problem with carrying a Teebird with mine because I would find I would just throw whichever disc I threw the last hole and make it work. Just a little too close with both being control discs, and I carry an ESP Pred so that kind of covers the wind and need to stay left.

Been debating on my P-PD or Viking as a somewhat faster disc for a "distance" driver to compliment it though.

I haven't thrown a River...

So... I use a Leopard for my understable driver... or a Sidewinder if I have some room to work.

Is the River something I already have covered in my bag? Is it that much better than what I'm very comfortable with?

My Leopard glides really well, as does my Sidewinder and Roadrunner... (I already have understable driver overkill)... What's the case for trying this disc out? (Note: I liked the Vision, but it didn't push anything out of my bag... so it's gone).

If it's like a Teebird... I carry a couple of them in different weights...

Your right about head winds. The river doesn't like them at all. In a moderate headwind she will turn and burn where the teebird just sails on. My 171g GL handles it slightly better than my 161g but I usually just stick with the teebird to be safe.

The River is similar to a Leopard. You owe it to yourself to try one, unless you have stacks of Leopards in your house, though. It's a fantastic disc. It is not as fast or flippy as a Vision.

Techno-I've been wondering if River/Striker is the Lat64 equivalent of Eagle/Teebird. Traded for a few Strikers and I'll be trying them soon.

yay thats from mine!

I haven't thrown a River...

So... I use a Leopard for my understable driver... or a Sidewinder if I have some room to work.

Is the River something I already have covered in my bag? Is it that much better than what I'm very comfortable with?

My Leopard glides really well, as does my Sidewinder and Roadrunner... (I already have understable driver overkill)... What's the case for trying this disc out? (Note: I liked the Vision, but it didn't push anything out of my bag... so it's gone).

If it's like a Teebird... I carry a couple of them in different weights...

Compared to your Leopard, a little more glide than Pro, slighlty less turn than pro, slightly more turn than champ or star and longer.

Not as understable as a Vision, slower, but seems to have enough glide to make up for it.

Might be able to somewhat cover what your Leopard, Roadrunner and Sidewinder combined do, probably just not as well in some aspects of it.

Well, you've all convinced me. I've been less than happy with my XL lately for turnover/anny duty, and I've really fallen in love with my very glidey, vaguely understable comet, so this sounds like it should be a nice compliment.

Latest posts