• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc-Like Driver?

I think the Eagle is the driver version of a Roc, and the Firebird is the beefy distance driver version of the Eagle. So Roc, Eagle, and Firebird are all cousins.

I think the Eagle is the driver version of a Roc, and the Firebird is the beefy distance driver version of the Eagle. So Roc, Eagle, and Firebird are all cousins.

I feel this way too. And Big Bead Aviars feel like a Roc's bigger, slower brother.

champ eagle is a money disc. not warp speed, but great glide and super straight. I feel that it would be a good beginner disc. I would also recomend a lat64 river. just my 2 cents.

I have a domey opto river that feels a lot like a beadless roc to me. Mostly because of the dome and shape of the disc.

I've heard a ton about Opto Rivers. Those may find their way in someday, but right now I'm going to be getting a Cyclone and a new, more stable Roc. But, if I ever have the opportunity, I will go check them out.
The only reason I'm not sure yet is I don't want to over-stuff my bag. I would like 1 or 2 more discs, but any more is pushing how much I'd like to carry.

Last edited:
Finally...the Eagle is getting some love. Get that Roc out to 300' and then "graduate" to some fairway drivers - Eagle, TL, Teebird are all good options. Personally, I recently picked up an Eagle and this thing is a solid straight bomber.

The Rivers are sweet discs and Lat 64's plastic feels awesome. But the colors just seem to blend into the surroundings so easily.

I am thinking I have the same distance as you do, and I am going to say you don't have the power to throw an eagle or cyclone straight. It all has to do with high speed stability/low speed stability. Barry Schultz calls the leopard a longer roc, if you believe him. Also I think a star tl should fly dead straight for you. I have thrown many eagles and cyclones, and yes they are great discs, but if you are going 220 with a roc and 300 with a roadrunner, You are not going to get a "dead straight" flight path with a eagle or cyclone.

So, I would strongly recommend teebird/tl/leopard.

Right now, I do throw a Champion TeeBird, and it goes straight for me, but this will sound silly but, I got a super-super domey one at 168. My Roc is at 180. My particular TeeBird is not exactly what I was hoping for, because it flies kind of odd, and the grip odd as well.(I bought that early on, and never got attatched to that one. I liked my friends flat, heavier one though) I did bump my Roc up to 250-275 at max. I definitely believe you and Barry Schultz. My Stalker gets around to 300' and the Roadrunner makes it to just over 300, but that's on an anhyzer. So I feel I'm ready for a Cyclone at least. I know Eagles are a little more stable.

I love my leopard, and I love my teebird. But, I can't say it enough, you should really check out a tl. They fly dead straight when new, but have wicked glide. It is the best in the woods disc in my bag. I bought my first one 5 years ago, and got an ace with it after 3 months. I retired it shortly after. I bought a new one 2 weeks ago, and it quickly became my number one driver. It gave me the best drives at my home course on some of the tightest holes there. I even let my friend throw it 3 or 4 times, and she was just blown away at how it goes on any line you put it on.

I have thrown many eagles and cyclones, and you just aren't going to get the glide of a tl with those, they are just going to throw like a more stable teebird.

I agree about the TL, but from the sound of things I'm not sure you'll see much more distance from it. That roadrunner should give you 300' on a fairly straight hyzer flip line or a slight s-curve. If you're only getting 300' out of it on an anhyzer then it makes me wonder if the TL will be what you want or not. It's a great disc, versatile, floaty, and straight. I'm thinking that the Eagle won't be straight enough for you, if I'm understanding you correctly. If you've bumped up your Roc to 250' with good flight, then I'm just confused why that roadrunner isn't going further for ya. At any rate, pick up a disc or two...they're cheap and fun to have. :) Don't sell those Leopards short, though. I'd bet that disc will impress you with what it can do and the distance that it can get.

I've now very recently lost my favorite disc. My good old Roc is now MIA due to while practicing with it, I threw a very soft throw to demonstrate something, and shanked it right into my neighbors electric fence surrounded horse farm. I haven't seen it since. It has been my favorite, and now it's gone. =( So my last round I used my Star Skeeter to pinch hit. I had to put it on super hyzer flips, but it was actually an okay substitute for then. I'm going back for a new Roc. And I can't get the other back. Long story. My Roadrunner keeps going farther and farther, I just flip it and it rides well. Not sure exactly how far though.

And for my 3rd consecutive post, I've decided a couple weeks ago that I needed to really perfect my midrange disc drives before I choose drivers all the time. Well my Star Skeeter is a great turnover, and it's crazy when I put it on a huge angle, yet it flips up, while gliding so far, so slow, and anhyzers until it hits ground at the end. My Roc WAS able to flip up and go perfectly straight. Until I lost it. So now, I'm going to go back for a new Roc, and try out some fairways. A TL and Leopard are going to be my first prospects. Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

Latest posts