• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocs and Aviars for testing form

I should also mention that I really wasn't elevating the disc much. I think that's something else to work on to add distance, but, one step at a time.

Ok, so I feel like I might have had a breakthrough today. I was finally able to get a lot of drives straight and without OAT. Driving a 170g DX Roc from a stand-still, I was able to get my drives from 250'-270' (estimated based on hole length) with consistency, nice and straight. This is good distance, right? I've read people assert that someone should be able to drive 300' with a Roc, but I assume that's using some sort of glide step or x-step. I'm hoping to build more consistency and accuracy before I add something like that. Is my distance pretty good for my disc and throwing from a stand-still?

Everyone's different with their goals and abilities. I think the distances you're getting are respectable, and to be honest while throwing a Roc 380' is fun they get used a lot more frequently in that <300' range.

You seem to be on the right track. Don't get too hung up on the distances, the consistency and smoothness will matter more, especially as you're building up habits. It's a lot easier to work from a smooth and consistent base and gradually add distance, than to try and come out swinging everything 100% then try to become smooth and consistent later. Spoken from experience :(

With practice and repetition you'll find the "form" comes more easily and more subconsciously, and distance will come over time as your body gets used to the movements. Just focus on being smooth and controlled, and if you can post videos at some point to get feedback.

I dont get this go out and crush putters 300 ft thing to see if you have a problem with O.A.T. Alot of people on here arent going to be able to throw a putter that far. Trying to will create a problem. Just my 10 cents..

I should also mention that I really wasn't elevating the disc much. I think that's something else to work on to add distance, but, one step at a time.

you are absolutely right. putters and mids require more height for distance. throwing them further doesn't require a ton more power, just throwing them clean on a higher line will stretch out the D. for a 300' throw i'd guess you want a putter around 20' and a roc around 15'.

I dont get this go out and crush putters 300 ft thing to see if you have a problem with O.A.T. Alot of people on here arent going to be able to throw a putter that far. Trying to will create a problem. Just my 10 cents..

that's the whole point - if you can throw a putter 300' on something vaguely resembling a golf line then your throwing mechanics are decent. if something is not working properly you probably won't be able to get them much past 200'.

just about everyone starts off not being able to throw them that far. that's the whole point - it's a training tool. it provides feedback on your throw because the disc requires clean power and height to achieve distance. i compare throwing putters to that medicus golf club that has hinges and breaks during the swing if something gets messed up. but if you hit it right - it goes a long way.

I agree completely with people going out and learning with rocs and putters as well as learning O.A.T. from them... Nevermind I'm rarely correct here.

I'm confused here...no one has mentioned this that I've seen, but a Roc can handle a ton of torque and isn't even remotely nose sensitive. I'm all for learning to throw a Roc, but I don't think you'll learn much about your form from throwing one...certainly not when you're still learning how everything works.

watchout Fierce someone might drop the hammer on you. lulz

so...new player...and there are 25 different Roc's available @ DGC, and 6 aviars. One of you disc nuts...Which ones are a good place to start?

170-175 DX Aviar PnA for a straighter flight, KC Pro Aviar for a more overstable finish due to the bead. Either work fine. If you're not sure which you should get, start with a PnA, they're very controllable.

Thanks dudes. Just picked up a DX Roc 170 and a DX Aviar 170 to go along with the Ape and Firebird I was ordering as replacements.

If you're working on form and O.A.T. eradication, I would highly suggest putting the Ape and Firebird in a locked chest buried deep in the backyard until you feel comfortable with some of the goals that have been suggested in aforementioned posts.

If you're working on form and O.A.T. eradication, I would highly suggest putting the Ape and Firebird in a locked chest buried deep in the backyard until you feel comfortable with some of the goals that have been suggested in aforementioned posts.

That's the plan...I just wanted to get them now while the 10% off sale is still going on. I don't plan on throwing them for a while. Thanks for looking out though.

I'm confused here...no one has mentioned this that I've seen, but a Roc can handle a ton of torque and isn't even remotely nose sensitive. I'm all for learning to throw a Roc, but I don't think you'll learn much about your form from throwing one...certainly not when you're still learning how everything works.

a new roc can. but a dx seasons in pretty quick and develops some high speed turn. x comets are also a great disc for that purpose. some people just don't like the feel of the disc.

Or he could just get a Fuse or Comet and bench the Roc until he's got some basics down.

I think you're misunderstanding what people are saying. They're saying that unless you're throwing your beaded Aviar well over 300', then it's turning becasue of OAT, not becasue of power. You can max out at 250' or 200' with a beaded Aviar and still be throwing OAT free.

It originally started with me getting really great anhyzer results out of super beat in DX Valkyries and naturally molding my form using them until my form started destroying shots with an slightly understable disc I had. Last year I realized my understable discs where turning over hard. I naturally started throwing more overstable discs to compensate and my extreme O.A.T was born. I found that my most burned out discs were my Rocs and Aviars. After doing some research on DGCR I finally learned what OAT was and was able to diagnose my problem. I then only through my Roc for three months not only to rid myself of OAT but to achieve recommended distance with it. 3 months sounds excessive because it was but I did it anyway. I now have excellent distance with my Roc and can drive putters extremely well. The best shots in my bag.

I think you're misunderstanding what people are saying. They're saying that unless you're throwing your beaded Aviar well over 300', then it's turning becasue of OAT, not becasue of power. You can max out at 250' or 200' with a beaded Aviar and still be throwing OAT free.

Thats better.