• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rollers

"That was an Aviar?" KC is king.

while playing a game of ript revenge my buddy hands me his putter & takes my driver. It was a Star Aviar & I thought about the hole for a minute and proceeded to take ctp on that hole with a backhand Aviar roller :) Missed my birdie putt, butt so did everyone else.

This video has some great backhand roller shots in it. I wish I could do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9ydUgd4W6g&feature=related

How the heck did you run across that video? I'm sure glad that I checked your post out before I posted? I thought that it would be cool to post a vid and that's the exact one that I was going to post.

I actually followed the final group on their last full round at the 2007 WV Open in Paw Paw, WV that the vid is from. I didn't get to stay for the final ten holes that this video series shows. Boy do I wish that I had, though.

Paw Paw has two of the best courses that I've played and they're also the closest courses to me (an hour away) along with Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg, PA.

The final group the I followed included Moser, Ellis, Schick and Soleng who are all in the final group in the video. It was pretty impressive to watch these guys traverse the course.

"usually if i get a good roll its by accident. when i try to roll its almost always a terrible outcome."

X3

If I could only find a way to dial these up when needed. I've had a Ch Eagle do a FH roll well beyond the basket on holes that I struggle to reach with a normal FH. A good roller for me is like winning the Lotto...random and highly unlikely. I'm sure that it takes time and committment to master just like any other shot.

Rollers are awesome, how says they are ahrd to controll, here you can see Kenny Climo rock out a 'grind' roller, thats some serious controll!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaEXqkJoQE&feature=related

however to help the origional poster. I doesnt matter what disc you use, over stable discs will roll with a slower curve, much like a tomahawk. Understable discs are popular for backhand rollers as you can send them out about 200ft air time and keep them turned over to hit the ground running more easily. Also for distance the roller air time should not exceede 20ft in height, anyhigher and the disc comes down too verticle to carry much foward momentum.

Forehand flick rollers are the best way to start learning the rolling behaviour. I have found z Trackers and champ Sidewinders to be good for forehand/backhand rollers respectivly, without the need for 'special' roller discs.

How the heck did you run across that video? I'm sure glad that I checked your post out before I posted? I thought that it would be cool to post a vid and that's the exact one that I was going to post.

I actually followed the final group on their last full round at the 2007 WV Open in Paw Paw, WV that the vid is from. I didn't get to stay for the final ten holes that this video series shows. Boy do I wish that I had, though.

Paw Paw has two of the best courses that I've played and they're also the closest courses to me (an hour away) along with Shawnee State Park in Schellsburg, PA.

The final group the I followed included Moser, Ellis, Schick and Soleng who are all in the final group in the video. It was pretty impressive to watch these guys traverse the course.

Haha this is funny because I just ran across it for the first time yesterday and loved it because it is super hard to find videos of good rollers so I wanted to post it on here. I think the first guy kinda got lucky though:)......but both shots were well executed and ended up perfect.

I started throwing rollers alot lately and once you get the hang of it it seems to be pretty effective more often than not. Pros have started to rely on this shot alot lately. Best way to help you out is my friend told me that a roller is supposed to add around 30% distance to your throws. I throw a roadrunnder or a valkyre and on your backhand roller when you release the disc your arm should be around ten r eleven o'clock in a downward rip you rip the snot out of it like throwning your arm towrds the ground. Once you get the hang of it you will learn when to release it alot better hope i could help

Rollers are awesome, how says they are ahrd to controll, here you can see Kenny Climo rock out a 'grind' roller, thats some serious controll!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaEXqkJoQE&feature=related
Also for distance the roller air time should not exceede 20ft in height, anyhigher and the disc comes down too verticle to carry much foward momentum.

I have tried throwing them backhand using a champion starfire(160g), so it is pretty understable which is good; but I think the 20 ft. in the air thing might have been my problem. Thanks for the good advice! I will try to keep it lower next time to get more roll when it lands. It only makes since that the disc shouldn't be coming even close to straight down when you think about it.

Also for distance the roller air time should not exceede 20ft in height, anyhigher and the disc comes down too verticle to carry much foward momentum.

I have tried throwing them backhand using a champion starfire(160g), so it is pretty understable which is good; but I think the 20 ft. in the air thing might have been my problem. Thanks for the good advice! I will try to keep it lower next time to get more roll when it lands. It only makes since that the disc shouldn't be coming even close to straight down when you think about it.

jungle tim is using his opinion like we all do...you caN THROW A ROLLER HIGHER THAN 20 FEET...IVE THROWN ROLLERS THAT DIDNT EVEN HIT THE GROUND FOR 300 FEET...ALL DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION AND YOUR ABILITIES...THERE IS NO SPECIAL DISC TO ROLL WITH...JUST PRACTICE AND EXECUTION

jungle tim is using his opinion like we all do...you caN THROW A ROLLER HIGHER THAN 20 FEET...IVE THROWN ROLLERS THAT DIDNT EVEN HIT THE GROUND FOR 300 FEET...ALL DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION AND YOUR ABILITIES...THERE IS NO SPECIAL DISC TO ROLL WITH...JUST PRACTICE AND EXECUTION
I realize that rollers can land far away like you mentioned up to 300ft even before the hit and take off. I also realize that not everybody executes them exactly the same way with the same disc. I just simply mentioned that keeping them lower to the ground (around 20ft high) might help me because I've never thought about it before.

I learned today that a roller is not a good choice when throwing with a good cross wind. It hit right were I was aiming then wind took it and pushed my disc about 150 ft left across the street & OB. erfect distance though.

Haha this is funny because I just ran across it for the first time yesterday and loved it because it is super hard to find videos of good rollers so I wanted to post it on here. I think the first guy kinda got lucky though:)......but both shots were well executed and ended up perfect.

If you look at more of the WV Open videos from 2007 there are some more rollers too... especially Soleng on the open holes. And then I think just about everyone has to use a couple on Moser Alley in deep in the woods.

Latest posts