• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rosedale Course - Kansas City, KS

mcgrathpa21

Greetings All,

To say that I am new to Disc Golf would be quite the understatement. I am seeking advice on a possible event that I would like to schedule. Living only three blocks from the Rosedale DG Course in Kansas City, KS, I would like to schedule a first ever DG event on April 26, 2014. Though I cannot project the turnout quite yet, this would be a loosely organized event for quite a few friends; simply to get out, enjoy the weather, and have a good time.

Not knowing the formalities in trying to reserve time on the course, I am hoping that many of you may have suggestions. Keep in mind, I have only played twice in my life, so the level of talent will be very limited.

What would be a respectful way to organize a friendly, one round "tournament" for friends to come out, have fun, and not interrupt any existing events, or the relaxing atmosphere for others who will be enjoying the course that day? Let's say that I am able to get approximately 50-70 individuals to come out. Would I need to reserve the course with set tee-times? Would organizing teams of - say - four be an ideal set-up? This would not be a serious completion - more like a way to get various groups of friends to come out and have fun.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. As much as I would like to make this a reality, I know that organizing the logistics of such an event could be quite challenging. If it helps, I have played traditional golf for the past 19 years, so I certainly know course etiquette (allow faster groups to play through, no littering, family friendly, etc...). I will seek additional information for Wyandotte Co., but any advice that you are willing to share would be a great help.

Please feel free to respond to this thread, or e-mail at [email protected]. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts soon.

Sincerely,

Pete McGrath
[email protected]
(816) 805-9020

Peter, the best way to ensure a good turnout would be to start promoting the event using your local clubs forums and social media outlets, if you haven't already.

kcfdc.org/

Flyers at all of the area courses would help too.

For the sort of thing you are planning, I think reserving the course may be going a bit overboard, especially when you're talking about the busiest course in the metro, and the event being only 30 days out. Most traditional event TD's have all their ducks in a row well before this point.

He's right you're pushing the time frame to really get organized and I think it's very cool you want to do this but sounds like you're just wanting to jump right in the deep end.

There's a tournament up that way the weekend before.

http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/disc-golf-tournaments/2014/city-of-fountains.html

Have you played any pdga events or club doubles? I'd probably start there and just go play one and see how disc golf tournaments are ran. Scott Reek and the DD crew up there are pros at it. Then you'll get a basic idea of how to host events even if it's just a laid back round of random flip doubles with a bunch of buddies.

If you still want to jump right in I would suggest going out to the course as much as possible. Talking to the people who play it often and handing out a flyer. Posting to local forums and the club up there like he said. I'm sure you'll get some people to turn up but if you are brand new to the scene and haven't hosted any event like this before you might get a few questions that you aren't prepared to answer. I suggest starting slow. Show up to some events and join the KC club. Get your face known and then get planning way in advance when you feel ready to be a tournament director.

Rosedale Park is a KCFDC (Kansas City Flying Disc Club) course. The city and club have a contractual agreement. All advertised tournaments need to be approved by the KCFDC.

Now, if it is just a bunch of people getting together for a party and you are happening to playing DG, then that is no biggie.

It depends on your scope. Party with some DG action. Just do it.

Organized tournament - you must go through the club.

I can see it now, Loomis signs up for a tournie at Rosedale being ran by a guy who has played two times in his life and then goes ape @#$ on him because it's not managed properly.

I can't wait.

This thread is fascinating, especially because of what Rob said.

Pete,
You should play in a couple disc golf tournaments before hosting one.

Then when you do, be sure all players get something with their entry fee. There are a lot of disc golf companies that will help you make sure all players get at least a disc with their entry fee... otherwise, you'll struggle to get people.

Latest posts