• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sacramento Courses and leagues

efuss27

Hey peoples. I'm visiting family in Elk grove and i'm looking for some challenging courses and maybe even some leagues. I don't have a car so if anyone is willing to give me a ride i'd appreciate it, but i might be able to borrow a car on the weekends. so far i've got shady oaks and rocklin on my list of courses to play. I'll be in town for atleast a month so i've got plenty of time to schedule a round or few haha.

come on. someone in the sac town around has gotta be willing to meet up for a round.

I'm only here for another few weeks, but the courses that I've enjoyed in the area are the following:

Shady Oaks
Hanging Oaks (Penn Valley)
Auburn Regional Park
Splat Hill (private and only open on select weekends/days)
Rocklin
Condon Park (Grass Valley)

Rocklin and Shady Oaks are definitely the closest ones to you, but all the others I've listed are within an hour drive or so and are well worth it. Auburn Regional Park is my favorite in the area. Rocklin would be my least favorite of the above listed courses.

I have no information regarding leagues.

Thanks dude. Auburn park looks awesome. I see they have leagues at noon on saturday. since shady oaks is in the same area i'll play that one in the evening. if it wasn't for your advice i probably would have missed out on auburn.

Also, when talking to fellow dg'ers in the area, you'll notice that none of them refer to the course by the name, but rather by the city the course is in.

Grass Valley = Condon Park
Penn Valley = Hanging Oaks
Orangevale = Shady Oaks (I've also heard this called "Hazel", which is the street it's on.)
Oroville = Riverbend Park
Browns Valley = Hammon Grove Park

I've gotten some really quizzical looks when referring to the course by name. Instead of saying, "You want to play Hanging Oaks?", they'll say "You want to play Penn Valley?".

InnocentCreek is correct about all of the courses he has recommended. Stockton also has a good course its called Oak Grove Park. It would be a 30 min drive.

splat hill is almost too far for me to travel but i'll keep in mind playing on 5/22. i see the course closes at 5pm but i didn't notice an open time. if i'm gonna travel that far i'd like to have enough time to visit a second course on my way back to elk grove. also innocentcrook thanks for the heads up on the local lingo.

Send a message to yrnmbrsup. He plays Shady just about every day, and I'm sure he would meet up with you for a round.

There are some great courses up here too (see the ones in my sig below).

aw man, because of you guys i looked at pics of toney's mountain, grass valley and penn valley and now i realize that i have a lot of traveling to do while i'm here. haha i might have to stay here for the meet at toney's.

yrnmbrsup already PMed me. on another note, has anyone played the saturday doubles at auburn? i'm wondering if they're super busy cuz i'm trying to plan out my day. Some of the st louis leagues are like mini-tournaments with almost 70 players on the field.

If you play Shady Oaks, get there early (1000) or it's a traffic jam. They tend to have daily doubles that the regs put on. It's nothing offical, but fun. Plus Final 9 is on the course. They have a pretty good sellection of discs (alot of CFR's and Cryztal stuff). Rocklin is OK, it's hyzer heaven and kinda long. My fav's are Grass Valley and Penn Valley. Penn Valley was one of the 1st "thinking" courses I've played. What I mean is that you might be better off throwing a mid to set up your 2nd shot. Very fun course. Grass Valley starts off kinda ho hum, but it's becomes very technical and fun! Auburn is fun, but my third fav.
The trick is to get up the hill early and then play the courses backward...Penn Valley, Grass Valley, and then Auburn.
If your not from the area, Nevada City is a cool place to check out if you have time. It's only a few minutes away from Grass Valley.
Oh, one other note. There has been some trouble with the locals that live around Shady Oaks (Orangevale). So they have security gaurds and undercover cops (sometimes) there, NO drinking or smoking permited on the course. I must say, it hasn't been quite as busy as it tends to be since the security gaurds have been there.

If you play Shady Oaks, get there early (1000) or it's a traffic jam. They tend to have daily doubles that the regs put on. It's nothing offical, but fun. Plus Final 9 is on the course. They have a pretty good sellection of discs (alot of CFR's and Cryztal stuff). Rocklin is OK, it's hyzer heaven and kinda long. My fav's are Grass Valley and Penn Valley. Penn Valley was one of the 1st "thinking" courses I've played. What I mean is that you might be better off throwing a mid to set up your 2nd shot. Very fun course. Grass Valley starts off kinda ho hum, but it's becomes very technical and fun! Auburn is fun, but my third fav.
The trick is to get up the hill early and then play the courses backward...Penn Valley, Grass Valley, and then Auburn.
If your not from the area, Nevada City is a cool place to check out if you have time. It's only a few minutes away from Grass Valley.
Oh, one other note. There has been some trouble with the locals that live around Shady Oaks (Orangevale). So they have security gaurds and undercover cops (sometimes) there, NO drinking or smoking permited on the course. I must say, it hasn't been quite as busy as it tends to be since the security gaurds have been there.

From your description i'd like penn valley. i love the challenge of finding odd routes to take from the tee. it makes for an interesting round. :thmbup: that really sucks about the security guards at shady oaks. i'm not really a smoker but at times i enjoy puffing on a black n mild. what time do they're doubles start on saturday? i'd love to play some doubles to get a feel for the course, meet some fellow DGers and see where i stack up with the competition:p.

Don't know the times on weekends. I come up to Sac for work or to visit fam. So I play only during the weekdays. So I know about the 10:00 doubles during the week. You could call Final 9, it's on the course and they would have all the info for leagues.
Ya it's a bummer about the course issues, becuase it's a fun course. Talk is, when they had the St. Patricks tourney. A few of the people who live around there were taking tons of photo's and really want the course gone. So this was a small price to pay. Good thing the city/county like us!

If you are here for a bit and can do it. Napa (Skyline Wilderness Park), Novato (Stafford Lake), and S.F. (Golden Gate Park) are some of the best courses in the state if not the country. They are sweeeeeet! true gems.
Well enjoy! you can't go wrong with any of these course!

Don't know the times on weekends. I come up to Sac for work or to visit fam. So I play only during the weekdays. So I know about the 10:00 doubles during the week. You could call Final 9, it's on the course and they would have all the info for leagues.
Ya it's a bummer about the course issues, becuase it's a fun course. Talk is, when they had the St. Patricks tourney. A few of the people who live around there were taking tons of photo's and really want the course gone. So this was a small price to pay. Good thing the city/county like us!

If you are here for a bit and can do it. Napa (Skyline Wilderness Park), Novato (Stafford Lake), and S.F. (Golden Gate Park) are some of the best courses in the state if not the country. They are sweeeeeet! true gems.
Well enjoy! you can't go wrong with any of these course!

i called final 9 and the saturday doubles start at 10. I'll hit the doubles up and afterwards probably go to rocklin if anyone's interested. I was going to go to auburn's doubles but i'll save that course for another day.

i just wanted to update you all. I had a blast at orangevale last saturday. I played doubles in the morning then drove to rocklin for a round. there was still plenty of daylight so i went back to orangevale and played 27 holes with a few people. It was great. They recommended that i play john mackey and auburn. i guess that's what i'll do this upcoming weekend. Also want to say orangevale's pro shop (final 9) is awesome. i picked up a 148g star classic roc in ontario config. it will go well with the 5 other cr's i own haha.

i just wanted to update you all. I had a blast at orangevale last saturday. I played doubles in the morning then drove to rocklin for a round. there was still plenty of daylight so i went back to orangevale and played 27 holes with a few people. It was great. They recommended that i play john mackey and auburn. i guess that's what i'll do this upcoming weekend. Also want to say orangevale's pro shop (final 9) is awesome. i picked up a 148g star classic roc in ontario config. it will go well with the 5 other cr's i own haha.
Glad to hear. The OV crowd is pretty cool and Jim Oats (owner of Final 9) is always helpfull. If you are going to play Auburn. Penn Valley and Grass Valley are only about 20 or so min. further. If you can, just play them backwards. So, Penn, Grass and then Auburn. They are sooo worth the extra drive, but if you can't and want to take a breather. You should check out Old Town Auburn. It's just on the other side of I80. For a cold brew or some Grub you can't beat the Shanghi. It's been around since the gold mining days. Also, traffic on 49 can be a pain. So take Bell Rd or Dry Creek Rd. to 49. Dry Creek almost dumps you off at the park. Finally, if you are going up there on a Sunday. The traffic (coming down from Tahoe) can be off the hook! So stay late or leave early.

Well enjoy!

Last edited:
Glad to hear. The OV crowd is pretty cool and Jim Oats (owner of Final 9) is always helpfull. If you are going to play Auburn. Penn Valley and Grass Valley are only about 20 or so min. further. If you can, just play them backwards. So, Penn, Grass and then Auburn. They are sooo worth the extra drive, but if you can't and want to take a breather. You should check out Old Town Auburn. It's just on the other side of I80. For a cold brew or some Grub you can't beat the Shanghi. It's been around since the gold mining days. Also, traffic on 49 can be a pain. So take Bell Rd or Dry Creek Rd. to 49. Dry Creek almost dumps you off at the park. Finally, if you are going up there on a Sunday. The traffic (coming down from Tahoe) can be off the hook! So stay late or leave early.

Well enjoy!

Thanks for the great advice dude. I think i'll pack 3 or 4 courses into a day. Warm up at john mackey then head to Grass valley/Penn Valley/Auburn.:p afterwards i'll definitely need a brew and some good food.

Latest posts