• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Saint, River, or..

Ted Bratton

Double Eagle Member
I have a beat up domey 170 Champ TeeBird that I love because if I throw it with a little hyzer hard enough to fly 350 I can depend on it to turn over and travel a good distance to the right rhbh and come back just a hair at the end or land flat (it is more stable than an Avenger SS and Roadrunner). If you had to choose a Saint, River, or another disc for a shot like this which would you choose? What weight, plastic, etc.?

Saint would probably be better. You can make them S when thrown hard enough. A river is much more flippy and to me seems to be a longer innova leopard

I don't think a s PD would work, even with some use to it. I guess it depends... maybe one with a real low plh... anyway, a p PD would be faster, but probably as good. Another good option I use is the River. I have a TM2 (kind of base plastic) and it flies as you describe you teebird's flight. No experience with the Saint.

I have a 173ish opto saint that I can make fly pretty similar. I have a river also, but prefer my saint to it for most shots in that category.

I've been digging the Underworld. but it sounds like a river would do it around 170 maybe

I too am a huge fan of the Underworld for turnover drives. Way more consistent and effortless than Rivers for me, both for the turnover aspect and in general, while still having that massive distance potential. VIP is a notch more stable than Tournament plastic, so it's much easier to get those to fade back a tad at the end of their flight.

Over the course of the last week I've taken possession of an Underworld and an Amp. I haven't had a chance to throw the Underworld yet, but the Amp can hold a turn nicely. I'd throw it in your list.

If you are talking about a hyzerflip that flips up glides a little right then fades back. I use an Escape. Biofuzion preferably.

I am talking about a disc that you throw with a little hyzer and it flips and turns far to the right but does not really come too close to rolling. Not a straight-ish S flight, a strong hyzer-flip-turnover.

This is pretty much an underworld shot. VIP plastic in the 170's sounds like what you're describing

I haven't thrown them yet, but the new runs of Visions are supposed to be more stable than the old, which likely rules it out.

I am talking about a disc that you throw with a little hyzer and it flips and turns far to the right but does not really come too close to rolling. Not a straight-ish S flight, a strong hyzer-flip-turnover.

my buddy throws and loves his teebirds (400'+). he threw my saint the other day and it was essentially the same flight. he actually bought it off me. better glide same flight. I personally would put it somewhere between an eagle and a teebird.
River may be a lil flippier then you desire for the shot. you can't really put alot of power behind it. the saint you can rip on without worry.
If you like teebirds you should definitely like the Saint. I doubt you would be upset with the purchase.

My suggestion for that shot is an Opto River, not as much turn as the Goldline and always fades back a little at the end.

I guess maybe I'm a lower power player, but i have a 7/10 177g GL river that I can throw on a hyzer full power and, in no/little wind, it doesnt turn that much. Flips up from the hyzer and turns about 10 feet then just goes straight as an arrow. but still goes 350 EASY. a tiny amount of fade if it has room by the end of the flight

I threw Rivers for a little while, and eventually gave up on them. I just had a really tough time dialing in the stability/flip on them. For every perfect hyzer flip I had two that would hold their release angle or flip over more than expected. I think it's a nose-angle sensitive disc, is the issue.

For the shot you're describing, I use a max weight Star Roadrunner. I think it's one of the more underrated control drivers out there. I'm in the 375'-400' power range, and a new Star RR is almost dead straight for me. As they wear, they become a phenomenal turnover driver. They're much easier to throw than the River, IMO.

Avenger SSs..s can be a great disc for that role as well in Z plastic. But the inconsistency between runs was bad enough that I quit throwing them.

my buddy throws and loves his teebirds (400'+). he threw my saint the other day and it was essentially the same flight. he actually bought it off me. better glide same flight. I personally would put it somewhere between an eagle and a teebird.
River may be a lil flippier then you desire for the shot. you can't really put alot of power behind it. the saint you can rip on without worry.
If you like teebirds you should definitely like the Saint. I doubt you would be upset with the purchase.

^^^This

I am not a powerful thrower...yet.
I throw an Air Saint 148. It's a great gliding, soft turning disc that goes far! It is my "go to" disc on most tees under 350 feet.I also throw a GL River 169. It flies straight with minimum fade. I use it in narrow fairways inside 350 feet. Throw hardest, it does turn ever so lightly, but straightens out and fade little.
These are my two favorite discs. If I had to choose just 1 disc to play golf, it would be the Saint 1st, River 2nd!

Latest posts