• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] SALIENT Discs - Napalm (11|5|-1|2)

If you want to argue about the name send an email. If you want to talk about the disc itself then feel free if you have thrown it.

Your opinion is one of many but it's largely subjective and based off of experience. Felon, Nuke, Crank, Cannon, Panzer, etc...they all do damage of some sort in the "real" world. This is the internet and we are talking about frisbees not weapons or drugs being thrown in family friendly parks.

The mood was shipped here sorry for my choice of words as I was just referring to the comment of how a yikun disc could be molded in the US by saying the molds can be moved around.

We are not trying to offend people with our choice of names. We run our DD line on a fire theme. In no way are we referring that napalm is a great thing. Same goes with the Discraft Nuke. I doubt the guys at discraft love nukes for example.

First off, napalm is something that can be set on fire, not fire. There are many things that can be set on fire. How about the cigarette?

Just because Discraft does it ... oh hell, just look at Aim's comment.

The point being that some uses of nuclear power are beneficial, and maybe, just maybe, the name refers to a beneficial use (though I doubt it). Are there any beneficial uses of napalm? I don't know of any use other than as a weapon.

190446_10150118293038095_1044463_n.jpg

lol.. how dumb can you honestly be? I love when people try to troll me like I haven't been around for a minute'

Never seen a cloud like that coming from any energy plants and then again... they are talking weapons systems I mean come on'

lol.. how dumb can you honestly be? I love when people try to troll me like I haven't been around for a minute'

Never seen a cloud like that coming from any energy plants and then again... they are talking weapons systems I mean come on'

Ya know, I've been around too.

For example, I was stationed in Danang in 69 & 70 and would hump a radio out with a doctor, medics, and a few grunts. We'd go out to the outlying villes and the doc & medics would treat the villagers.

First off, napalm is something that can be set on fire, not fire. There are many things that can be set on fire. How about the cigarette?

Just because Discraft does it ... oh hell, just look at Aim's comment.

The point being that some uses of nuclear power are beneficial, and maybe, just maybe, the name refers to a beneficial use (though I doubt it). Are there any beneficial uses of napalm? I don't know of any use other than as a weapon.

I don't give a sh*t about this disc, but slight variations of napalm are used in firefighting, controlled and prescribed burning all the time. In the winter and early spring the napalm jell is put in the slash piles to keep them burning when the piles are wet or covered in snow. For more general firefighting when trying to control how and which way the controlled burning happens small amounts of napalm are used.

I don't give a sh*t about this disc, but slight variations of napalm are used in firefighting, controlled and prescribed burning all the time. In the winter and early spring the napalm jell is put in the slash piles to keep them burning when the piles are wet or covered in snow. For more general firefighting when trying to control how and which way the controlled burning happens small amounts of napalm are used.

Thanks. Didn't know that (obviously).

So the mold was shipped here but you put Yikun stickers on it?

That makes no sense....

I dont care where your stuff is produced. Just be honest.

It's not a sticker, on te bottom of most Yikun molds there is tooling that's has the website and the disc name. They probably couldn't take that off the mold without ruining it.

If you have ever thrown the old early run Augusta Wraiths from 06 this disc flies very similar. Definitely a winner.

But why would there be yikun stickers on the discs then?

Seriously dude, read. The mold was shipped here. The discs were molded here. The Salient name is in the stamp. The Yikun tooling is on the back. Salient and Yikun are partners. This may be the reason there are Yikun stickers on the disc. In this thread I have seen nothing about stickers but have seen that the discs have Yikun tooling. But seriously if you aren't throwing or gonna throw the disc all you are doing is trolling. So move along little troll.

Seriously dude, read. The mold was shipped here. The discs were molded here. The Salient name is in the stamp. The Yikun tooling is on the back. Salient and Yikun are partners. This may be the reason there are Yikun stickers on the disc. In this thread I have seen nothing about stickers but have seen that the discs have Yikun tooling. But seriously if you aren't throwing or gonna throw the disc all you are doing is trolling. So move along little troll.

Back on track...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 44
I actually got the chance to throw the Napalm today at beautiful Englewood Park in lovely Englewood, OH (Dayton area). Dayton is an area I need to explore more, but this is a wonderful course that I wish was about 30 minutes closer to me. The course has decent elevation and well-defined fairways framed by mature trees, and as much as I tried to avoid them, I didn't. This is the first mold I've thrown that's come from the Salient/Yikun merger. It is tooled with Yikun's tooling and is the "Jun" in Yikun form but was run in Salient's Liquid plastic.

A couple things I noticed last night were that the plastic was incredibly firm but grippy, and the rim is a little unconventional. The plastic seems to be the same as the Suture I posted pictures of last night. It's a little darker than candy apple red in color and quite firm. I didn't encounter any water, but I had zero issues with grip. The flightplate is pliable (more than the Suture, but I suspect it's also thinner), but the rim takes some effort to flex a little. We're talking stiff, pearly Pinnacle Rival firm. I initially thought the rim firmness might be somewhat caused by the shape of the rim, but after throwing it and the Suture in the same plastic today, I think it's more the plastic than rim shape. I think this red Liquid will feel like butter in six months to a year though. I like discs that start a little firmer because of how they season though. I haven't thrown the Jun in Yikun plastic to see whether this is a plastic upgrade or not.

The rim itself, as I mentioned last night, is both concave and convex. From the inside of the rim it starts to curve down somewhat like a Valkyire. There appears to be a very small bead, but I believe it's just flashing. After the rim curves to flat, it enters the convex portion (like a Roadrunner) and eventually terminates at the parting line. This makes the disc thicker by the outside of the wing as a result. I'm generally more attracted to putters and mids so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a wing like this on any other mold. It is definitely unique in the hand but by no means uncomfortable.

In terms of flight, I think the 11/5/-1/2 rating is pretty accurate except with the glide. The Napalm, Suture, and Flatline all have glide ratings of 5, and I would rate this one in the 3.5-4 range. That's not to say it's lacking glide like I found the earliest Proculs to be because it gildes. I just found the Flatline to float like crazy, and the Napalm didn't give me the same feeling. It did love the downhills though. It's no secret I don't have a big arm, but I was able to throw with a little hyzer and see enough turn to flip it up and keep it flying straighter for longer than I was expecting (I throw Patriots for distance, and this is considerably faster). Thrown flat it would turn gently, but it isn't turning enough for me that I would consider it a line shaper. Above 300', I definitely see this being a hyzer flip dream. There was a mild fade that was skewed a little closer to immediate than forward fade. There was also a little wind coming off the "lake" today, and I had no trouble adjusting my throws for however it was blowing.

After my first two rounds, there are some decent-sized surface scratches and a rim blemish from the earlier mentioned tree hitting. I have trouble keeping rims in decent shape, but I'm surprised by this. The Vein and Backdraft I tried in Liquid plastic both finished their rounds without showing damage. They're also a softer blend of Liquid. For me, I would like to see a softer blend. As much as I like firmer plastic, this is just too firm for the rim thickness. I will throw the Napalm in the fun bag to see how much it softens and how much HSS vs LSS it loses.

Latest posts