• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanding Down Gouges On Outer Edges of Disc

From PDGA:

A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal

Ok, "moderate" sanding. I was close.

I give mine a bit of sanding with something 200 grit and 400 grit to smooth it out a bit more. If i need to i used a lighter a little bit to help mold a big ding back in place.

And while the PDGA says light sanding is permissible to eliminate imperfections, small nicks, etc... the rules don't limit you as to the method. I'd think heat, lighters, small torches, whatever method you choose, would all be permissible as long as the repair returns the the disc closer to original condition (provided "original" was PDGA legal to begin with) and don't violate any other specific rules, such as the detectable thickness rule. So for example, you couldn't use clear nail polish to fill a nick - because it would be detectably thicker.

However, let's say you added material to the gouge, and then sanded it flush to the surface (i.e. filling a gouge with putty, bondo, etc. and sandng it so that there was no detectable change in thickness)... I still can't imagine they'd say that's OK, but I wonder...

Last edited:
Sanding off the burrs is one thing, I do it with 200-400 grit, but melting and shaping the disc is another. If you are sitting around melting then pressing, then sanding, then melting, adding nail polish or whatever, and repeating the process again, you are significantly altering your disc and probably in the wrong. Use your discs, love your discs, and maintain them with "moderate sanding" (notice that the word "flame" or "pressing" isn't mentioned there), but be realistic. Smooth your discs, don't alter them, the PDGA has an approval process and that particular set of rules for a reason.

Last edited: