• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Sapphire

So what's this chameleon? Just a pretty looking opto? I picked up a VIP-X glimmer Underworld. It's gorgeous. VIP-X is stiffer and should hold it's stability a bit longer I'm hoping. Not sure about chameleon though?

So what's this chameleon? Just a pretty looking opto? I picked up a VIP-X glimmer Underworld. It's gorgeous. VIP-X is stiffer and should hold it's stability a bit longer I'm hoping. Not sure about chameleon though?

Chameleon plastic has some kind of holographic stuff added to it that causes it to change color depending on what angle you look at it. I've only tried it with an Opto-X Chameleon River. The -X plastic in general is stiffer and more durable, and quite a bit more stable than regular Opto. But these aren't the -X plastic, it sounds like it's regular Opto with the Chameleon additive. So yeah, my guess is it's just a cool looking Opto.

They're available at infinite and otbdiscs as well I believe. I am waiting for a different more affordable plastic blend. Preferably gold line

Threw this during two practice rounds this morning. For reference, I throw putters ~230-240, mids 250-260', and fairways ~280-290'. I've tried throwing my wife's Diamond before and it's very flippy for me, so I think that makes me pretty much the target market for these. I threw a 157g Sapphire alongside a worked-in 155g Plasma Insanity, which flies like a -2/2 and can be pushed out to a max of 330' (average 300-310' or so) for my noodle arm, and is my current longest driver. I was auditioning the Sapphire today hoping it would be a more glidey replacement.

The Sapphire is noticeably more stable than the Insanity for me. I wasn't getting any turn out of it at all unless I threw it into a headwind. Was entirely straight to fade at my power. Very glidey fade on this thing. Temperature was only in the low 40's F, so I'd imagine it will have even more glide in warmer weather.

Where this thing really shined for me was as a hyzerflip forehand disc. I was getting effortless distance on my forehand by releasing the Sapphire with on a hyzer and letting it flip up flat, then getting that glidey fade at the end.

Bottom line, it's not replacing my Insanity, but it's going in the bag as my new distance forehand driver.

How does it do when you Force the Anny on a forehand?
How soon or late does it start S turning?

Threw this during two practice rounds this morning. For reference, I throw putters ~230-240, mids 250-260', and fairways ~280-290'. I've tried throwing my wife's Diamond before and it's very flippy for me, so I think that makes me pretty much the target market for these. I threw a 157g Sapphire alongside a worked-in 155g Plasma Insanity, which flies like a -2/2 and can be pushed out to a max of 330' (average 300-310' or so) for my noodle arm, and is my current longest driver. I was auditioning the Sapphire today hoping it would be a more glidey replacement.

The Sapphire is noticeably more stable than the Insanity for me. I wasn't getting any turn out of it at all unless I threw it into a headwind. Was entirely straight to fade at my power. Very glidey fade on this thing. Temperature was only in the low 40's F, so I'd imagine it will have even more glide in warmer weather.

Where this thing really shined for me was as a hyzerflip forehand disc. I was getting effortless distance on my forehand by releasing the Sapphire with on a hyzer and letting it flip up flat, then getting that glidey fade at the end.

Bottom line, it's not replacing my Insanity, but it's going in the bag as my new distance forehand driver.

How does it do when you Force the Anny on a forehand?
How soon or late does it start S turning?

I didn't try a flex forehand with it. That's not a shot I really have in my arsenal. But for my OATy forehand, I'm guessing it would pan to flat late. Probably earlier if you gave it some height. Here's a YouTube video of a guy with a much better sidearm than me throwing it on a few different forehand lines, including a forced over flex line.

From the videos so far, this is looking more OS than I expected. Going to pass until maybe another plastic or run that's got more turn and less fade.

From the videos so far, this is looking more OS than I expected. Going to pass until maybe another plastic or run that's got more turn and less fade.

Honestly I wouldn't blame you. For something that's marketed as easy-to-use, it's very stable. It seems like you'd need 350' or so of backhand power to get the intended flight out of it. I don't know that players with that much power are going to want to throw something from this line. This was supposedly designed as a step up from the Diamond, but that's an awfully big gap between the two. That said, IME Opto beats in very quickly. I love it for my forehand, and I suspect it will fly as intended for backhand after a season in the bag.

I heard March 5 for production runs. My gut tells me that Opto will be first but certainly not sure. It will be interesting to see if regular opto flies the same as chameleon.

Honestly I wouldn't blame you. For something that's marketed as easy-to-use, it's very stable. It seems like you'd need 350' or so of backhand power to get the intended flight out of it. I don't know that players with that much power are going to want to throw something from this line. This was supposedly designed as a step up from the Diamond, but that's an awfully big gap between the two. That said, IME Opto beats in very quickly. I love it for my forehand, and I suspect it will fly as intended for backhand after a season in the bag.

Sounds like they were trying to replace the Jade and failed. :wall:

Sounds like they were trying to replace the Jade and failed. :wall:

If they really were trying to make a longer Diamond, it didn't happen with the Sapphire. At least not with this first run. But it definitely works for me as a stable complement to my Insanity. I went back and bought a second one.

Latest posts