• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Share Your Quick Tips

this is what I came here to say

I see a lot of new player very herkyjerky trying to kill it on every throw. I say to them you don't need to try to kill it every throw. You just need to be fast at the hit. Walk up to throw and draw back and then gradually increase you speed as you pull the disc. If you try to be real fast from the reach back you can't maintain that arm speed through the hit. Work on the timing and as you get your form down you can speed up your throws.

Missing putts low? Keep your chin up.

Don't say, "don't hit the tree." All your brain hears is, "hit the tree."

Say, " hit the gap."

I recently saw a video (which I can't find now) with a kid who was practicing putting. He tied a rope to the basket and tied the other end to a pole in the ground so that the rope was a few feet high. He then straddled the rope and practiced putting using the rope as a guide. I've not tried it yet, but I am going to.

Don't try to pull the disc sideways or back. Adding to the hit is a push and can't be done without perfect timing. Pulling won't get you there.

Load your hips and shoulders. Do not reachback! Arm is there just to hold the disc. There is no pulling either. Use your loaded hips to bring the arm in. Working around the disc is the right way to say it.

500ft drive doesn't mean you got it, sadly

I think I follow you....or, maybe not.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pretzel.jpg
    Pretzel.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
It was about the pull wasn't it?
I can't explain it 100% because all i have is a feel to it and results. When timing is correct you can push forward, flick your wrist forward. Arm is still loose, it's all wrist. This will add propably 10mph and it's really hard to throw anything less than 275ft with a powergrip. You just can't throw slow without slipping it.

When you pull it's done with the arm and it will slow you down. Also you can't flick your wrist forward because your timing doesn't allow it.
Use your arm and it will never happen. I'll stand by that until proven wrong. To me it's adding vs. forcing

You won't feel like you have a firm grasp of the game for years so don't rush it. Disc golf is about the small details and the only way to pick them up is over time.

Learn to manage your expectations.

All of those little AH HA moments mean something.

Putting: Have a putting routine that is quick and repeatable; practice using it so that it becomes dependable.

Approach: Hyzer is your friend. Good scrambling improves every round.

Driving: Throw to a target, disc down and stay in the fairway.

Always aim at a target on every shot. It sounds simple, but you may be surprised how many times you find yourself just throwing at a fairway or gap. I like to use long distance targets (usually trees), and rely on disc selection to get the distance and flight I need.

Putting: Have a putting routine that is quick and repeatable; practice using it so that it becomes dependable.

Quick should be a requirement. 30 pump-fakes followed by an air-ball drives me nuts :wall:

As for tips, working around the disc is the one that seems to help me most. If I consciously reach back, bad things happen...

Quick should be a requirement. 30 pump-fakes followed by an air-ball drives me nuts :wall:

As for tips, working around the disc is the one that seems to help me most. If I consciously reach back, bad things happen...

Especially on 10 footers. Any more than 3 practice swings on a putt and my mind will wander.

Field practice tip:
1. Count the discs you have with you
2. Practice
3. Just before leaving count the number of discs you have
4. If the number of discs counted in step 3 is less than the number of discs counted in step 1 go looking for discs until the number counted in 3 is equal or greater than the number counted in 1.

Throw putter-only rounds frequently.

This is great for form. I usually do one round a week this way, or field work with putters. Short to medium courses are most fun, and your score may surprise you!

Latest posts