• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

Targetward, is where it goes. But to accentuate the hammering feeling, I am focused on hammering the nail to the right. You can't hold the disc to actually hammer to the right, because it ejects forward.
Maybe it depends on the tilt and shoulder position? I'm hammering a nail to the target just like Climo said.

Maybe were just confusing terminology? The handle would be pointing straight at the target but the head of the hammer would be pointing right? Is that maybe what both or you are saying?

I've added some markings to your drawing.

Exactly!

And SW, I believe that once you've actually dialed in the hammer feeling and are holding to 4:00 - you're brain just develops the feel for hammering it at the target. It's easier to be accurate once it becomes second nature, and your brain probably re-aligns itself for a more optimized thingy.

I don't know how to explain it, it's almost impossible until you've felt it. To me in the big diagram, section 1 and 2 feel like the moments leading up to actually making contact with the nail -- which trigger the palm ejection and disc pivot. From there, it feels like you kick things into hyper-drive by pulling hard with your torso and shoulders (sideways like the markings i made on HUB's drawing) for the final fling. The 2nd part is easier to analogize with cracking a whip. First you set things in motion by getting the momentum moving (the actual hammer pound in section 1 and 2 of the diagram), THEN you pull back to crack the **** out of the whip (section 3 of the diagram, but unlike the whip, you're tugging sideways).

To get all these things working in order properly, is it better to work from the hit backwards to the hips, or the other way around, or maybe a certain order of approach? Seems that if you start working on one thing, you may be instilling bad muscle memory on another step that may be harder to unlearn later on.

It's better to work from the hit backwards. The more you can isolate something, the better. Every inch of variance or degree of rotation you add exponentially decreases your chances of success. The whole thing is really not that complicated, it's pretty intuitive once you feel it. But honing in and finding the feeling for the first time is the hard part.

Regarding speed, I'm a newer player, and when I get amped up or excited and rush, I throw like a new player. When I stop and slow everything down, and really focus on the hit and accelerate from the pec, I can keep pace with a lot of the bigger arms around here and I'm hitting 340-360' on drives.

It's better to work from the hit backwards. The more you can isolate something, the better. Every inch of variance or degree of rotation you add exponentially decreases your chances of success. The whole thing is really not that complicated, it's pretty intuitive once you feel it. But honing in and finding the feeling for the first time is the hard part.

I think for a new player or someone that is stuck below 350 feet, you should work from the feet up but at the same time keep the end goal in mind (accelerate the rear of the disc forward).

Working from the hit backwards is good for those that are half-hitting and trying to full-hit (maxing out at 375-400 feet and looking to get in the 425+ range).

I think for a new player or someone that is stuck below 350 feet, you should work from the feet up but at the same time keep the end goal in mind (accelerate the rear of the disc forward).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. They won't have any bad muscle-memory to work through, but at the same time it would be pretty boring and hard to hold back and paint the fence/wax-on wax-off for a long time before getting to "fight."

Working from the hit backwards is good for those that are half-hitting and trying to full-hit (maxing out at 375-400 feet and looking to get in the 425+ range).

I like to use Blake's numbers because they seem pretty accurate in my experience:

Half*hit*discs with reference points (distances are approximate)
Roc: ~330
Buzzz: ~350
Teebird: ~410
Destroyer: ~430
Nuke: ~450

Full*hit*distances (approximate)
Roc: ~360+
Buzzz: ~380+
Teebird: ~440+
destroyer: ~460+
nuke: ~480+

I'd be hard to argue one way over the other - but for a new player, getting on the feet up approach early will set you on the fast track. Just based on the number of people posting w/ plateau issues that are hamstrung with their feet, hips, bracing - I'd lean that way.

Even once I felt the hit, and knew what I was aiming for, it took me months and months to be able to semi-reliably "crack the whip" at the last second.

Cracking the whip is a great analogy too.

So finally, today I just had to run out to the field again. Yesterday felt so good, I wanted to see if I could get an open field. Friggen volleyball players parked in the middle. Waited.

They finished up, I grabbed a stack of discs and went for it. Warmed up and then got into it.

Slight 4-5mph direct tail wind, 164g Champ Tern. Nose down, raised the trajectory to about 15' off the ground, hammered it hard.

Felt like butter out of the hand, and I started laughing.

Longest throw yet.

XrZLVMY.png

Yeah, there's something wrong with that picture. The line that the disc is being thrown on changes from the top to the bottom.

His arm would have had to have gone backwards for that time frame to make sense.

The lines match up, the top right and bottom left are the same point in time. See the circle and arrow pointing to bottom for enlarged detail.

But the bottom-middle picture, his forearm went backwards.
It's magic, or illustrator error. I think the arm is too far extended to begin with, but you will notice the wrist is going from closed to neutral to slightly open in that series.