• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sickest turbo putt ever??? John McCray, #18 Renny Gold

Spinthrift

Eagle Member
John McCray's shot at World's last year across Lake Mullet at Renny #18.

watch

Well, so much for trying to figure out how to insert the video player. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wW1k5cWr3RY

The most epic part of this video is Barry's bucket hat.

Why did he turbo putt in that situation? Granted he made it, but I don't get it.

Because he can?

Yes, because he can.

If I could hit touch shots over perilous OB ravines with a turbo "putt," you're damm skippy I would do it!

Description - The downhill shot, he'd hit the same tree two or three times already so decided to TURBO PUTT a Demon into the right side gap! He later approached with another turbo putt and canned the par.

he also has nice TP in clash at Kenny's home course.

Because he can?

Yes, because he can.

If I could hit touch shots over perilous OB ravines with a turbo "putt," you're damm skippy I would do it!

Also (mabye) if he missed, there's less chance falling off the green from there if you miss fading right than fading left.

(I can't see the vid at work. If JohnE is lefty, then ignore above, which won't make a lick of sense.)

I asked him a few years ago when / why he turbo putts. I figured it dealt with wind, distance, danger, etc as people have speculated ITT.

His answer was...

"I just randomly get the feeling I should turbo this shot"

So, I just fwded the link to my phone to check this out, and wow.

He throws it so hard here, amazing to control a TP with that hard of a motion. Never mind making it, just getting it even close is blowing my mind a little.

I'd say definitely the deciding factor, besides 'randomly feeling it,' was that a normal put from there, if it hyzered early say and missed, would likey be in the Lake Mullet.

And, yeah, Barry and the bucket hat, and his deadpan response to the shot, are priceless.

I had the pleasure of shooting a couple of rounds with JohnE at the Southwest Florida Open this year. We were putting before the round and were talking about that shot and he says "Watch this"

He proceeds to hit a 70ft turbo putt throwing discs with both hands at the same time. Double turbo from 70ft. It was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen.

Now that is how you turbo putt. Who has time to practice making ambidextrous 70 footer turbo putts other than a man possessed with the love of disc golf.

I watched his whole round when he shot a 40 at Lovers Lane and he didn't turbo once. bummer

he was a real cool guy. doesn't surprise me at all that he is a world class turbo putter