• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sit and throw?

DiscFifty

Banned
You sit down and extend your legs flat on the ground, your feet is behind your marker, your head is facing right, towards the basket, preparing for a RHBH throw. Is this a legal stance?

As long as all supporting points are behind the lie, yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Supporting point" is the key phrase here. In your scenario isn't both ass cheeks the supporting points?
The foot behind the mini has to support to some extent. Like you are sitting on a steep hill and the mini is below you. The foot behind it is keeping you from sliding down the hill. That might be acceptable.
How about laying down flat under a bush?

In the case I mentioned, what would be considered the supporting points?
Everything that touches the ground at the time of release is a 'supporting point'.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One or both heels are your supporting points on the lie behind your marker and your behind is a supporting "point" legally behind your mark, butt not on the lie.

802.07.a Stance
If the lie has been marked by a marker disc, then when the disc is released, the player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
Have all supporting points in-bounds.

For the question posed, I think the pertinent line is "Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie". To me, that says you can have multiple supporting points (butt cheeks, feet, even the non-throwing hand on the ground) as long as ONE of those points is in contact with the lie.

Then make sure the rest of the rule is abided by....

i have found it is quite hard to lay down with one hand on the lie & throw with the other (to get any sort of distance)

I had to throw a shot once standing below the level of the lie with my hand up on a small shelf on a cliff wall as the supporting point behind the lie after my teeshot had slid back down onto. Even if i wasn't a fat **** with bad balance there would have been no way to stand behind the lie. I probably would have taken a penalty if it wasn't a local unsanctioned event with mixed cards. One of the top local open players was in the group and suggested it.

Threw a decent FH approach and then sunk a 25fter for par.

After some further research, Holly Finley is known for the "sit putt". I saw her do this at the recent Texas States and I immediately realized I could have used this putt in several scenarios, but I didn't think it would be a legal putt.

So in this photo (not from TX States), where would the mini need to be positioned to make it a legal stance? Could you really place it right by her feet? Thanks.

15492534_1259346547445050_3093531369424049016_n.png

The marker could be anywhere along her right leg from hip to heel where it's touching the ground assuming her leg is at a 90 degree angle to the basket.

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply. :thmbup:

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply. :thmbup:

And notice that her right leg is flat to the ground, while her left leg is bent at the knee. If the right knee was bent, then the marker could not be at that point as it wouldn't be a supporting point. That is important...depending on where her marker disc is at, she may have been able to move farther from the tree (she was probably sitting on her lie and couldn't improve it though). For example, if her marker was at her foot, she could have moved so her knee or butt was at the marker.

And notice that her right leg is flat to the ground, while her left leg is bent at the knee. If the right knee was bent, then the marker could not be at that point as it wouldn't be a supporting point. That is important...depending on where her marker disc is at, she may have been able to move farther from the tree (she was probably sitting on her lie and couldn't improve it though). For example, if her marker was at her foot, she could have moved so her knee or butt was at the marker.

Thanks, I could have used this a few times under bushes, etc, where I could sit down and place the marker right in front of my heel, allowing my legs/body to extend out of the brush for a clear shot. Hell...going further, laying flat on my back stretching my arms out, I could extend way further out for a flick, etc. That's about 8-9ft total extension. hmm...

So the taller you are the more distance from the mini/lie/disc you legally have.
Where as Holly gets 4 or more feet Paige only gets 3 feet or less.
It's like Jerm getting 5 feet or more stretch out distance and a vertically challenged individual getting around 3 feet.
Why should height give you an advantage? PGA gives players a one club distance for unplayable lies.
I think every player should have the same throwing area for fairness.

Thanks, I could have used this a few times under bushes, etc, where I could sit down and place the marker right in front of my heel, allowing my legs/body to extend out of the brush for a clear shot. Hell...going further, laying flat on my back stretching my arms out, I could extend way further out for a flick, etc. That's about 8-9ft total extension. hmm...

That is correct but ... have you ever tried this? ;)

I had that scenario once, disc way deep in a huge dense bush. Only way to throw forward was to lie out to the right side of the disc/marker, legs and body under/in the bush. With my arm extended, my swing plane just barely cleared the bush. The throw went forward ... barely.

So the taller you are the more distance from the mini/lie/disc you legally have.
It's like Jerm getting 5 feet or more stretch out distance and a vertically challenged individual getting around 3 feet.
Why should height give you an advantage? PGA gives players a one club distance for unplayable lies.

There was some banter about this on the GK Skins match at Dogwood between Big Jerm and Emerson Keith. Emerson made a good point that there are times in the deep brush that it's more beneficial to be short than tall.

This would be a tough one. What about height? Arm length? I'm 6'1". I could easily put one foot in my lie, stretch my other foot to the side and reach my arm out for a throw getting more distance from the object than others can do.

What do you envision the rule should look like? Stand straight up, both feet together inside the lie, and throw the disc from a height of 4 foot from the ground?

I don't really see an ideal - everyone is equal - solution. Yes, laying on the ground might give one player a better advantage over someone else...but how often does it happen? How often does two players have the same obstructed lie?

Latest posts