• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Small Hands Needing Big Distance

I did try to stat something factual about the River at the end of my post...give me some credit! :)

Your account has been credited. Please use accumulated points before they expire on 12/31/12.

Yes and no. As someone pointed out earlier, the biggest problem with the wider rims is that people just don't have the grip strength to hold on to them through the hit, causing a lot of early releases due to the disc slipping out. Lighter weight discs actually help with that because you don't need as much grip strength at the release. This is why women and kids have better luck throwing light weight plastic. So if you get a wide rimmed driver like a Boss in blizzard plastic, you'll probably get a more consistent and cleaner release with it than with a max weight Boss. I think that's part of the reason so many people started reporting "grip lock" with the blizzard discs when they started throwing them. They just stopped slipping the disc out super early :)

Well you're comparing grip/width with overall throw/form/flight qualities. I agree with what you said somewhat, but disagree with parts. Don't want to derail this thread by replying to some of it, but I'll say that the lighter weight allows the disc to get moving faster and maybe reach its rated speed - that doesn't mean that it's easier for people to get the spin on it that is necessary to keep them from petering out early in the flight. If someone can't handle the wing width well, and thus can't get a good rip with spin, then blizzard isn't going to help that and the blizzard disc thrown that way will not perform as well as it should/could...and then what's the point of trying blizzard, y'know? I'd rather put those throwers into light discs with rims that they can handle comfortably. But there are many ways to reach the same point in distance, if that's the main factor.

Are you using a 4 or 3 finger grip? When I switched to a 3 finger grip all of sudden the warp speed drivers were much easier to grip and throw.
this^^^ i switched to a 3 finger grip and the big rim didnt bother me as much. with that said though, the fastest thing in my bag right now is a firebird. still dont really care for warp speeders.

Teedbird and River is all I throw for distance. You should easily be able to grip those and if you learn to throw them well, they can be cranked out pretty far.

Don't go with wider than you are comfortable with. I have tiny hands, and have had very little success with the fatter rims. I have tried many discs. Orc or Wraith sound like they would be workable for you. I do better with Valks,TL's. Orc is about as wide as I feel comfortable with.

Orcs,beasts and Valk's should still get you plenty of distance. If you can't grip a wider rim well, it's not going to do you much good.

PD.. small rim big distance.

I'll throw in another vote for the PD

I do have hands capable of gripping the bigger rims and I carry a legacy cannon but that's just for fun. If I'm playing a round with any concern at all for my score then its all about the PD.
I cant throw it as far as New but I'm smart enough to realize that its potential as a Distance driver is only limited by my poor form.

I have small hands as well. I use a star archon as my main driver. seeing all the votes for the pd makes me want to try one of those though. I carry an esp nuke, but only throw it in non serious rounds.

Wow who knew rim width was such a hot topic. Thanks guys. The more I read here the more I miss my river and orc. Going to be looking into a flow/havoc

I dont understand this.
I mean, how small are we talkin' here ?
Like doll arms, with baby hands ?

I have small hands, but I LOVE big rims. I'm using a full 4 finger driver grip, and I can smash my Vulcans, Kings, Nukes and Katanas.
They rip out of my hand just like a Valk does, making a very satisfying sound. (Sidenote: why does a disc rip better when I trim my fingernails?)

My biggest problem is trying to get a driver grip on a narrow rim, like a putter, the disc always tries to flop over, so I'm really stuck with a fan grip for putt and approach.

I dont understand this.
I mean, how small are we talkin' here ?
Like doll arms, with baby hands ?

I have small hands, but I LOVE big rims. I'm using a full 4 finger driver grip, and I can smash my Vulcans, Kings, Nukes and Katanas.
They rip out of my hand just like a Valk does, making a very satisfying sound. (Sidenote: why does a disc rip better when I trim my fingernails?)

My biggest problem is trying to get a driver grip on a narrow rim, like a putter, the disc always tries to flop over, so I'm really stuck with a fan grip for putt and approach.

Either you have a different concept of "small hands" than the rest of us, or some weird monkey-sized gap between your index finger and thumb so the wide rims sit in there deeper.

And fingertips make the snap. Trimmed fingernails cut down on the chance of the nails dragging on the rim and ruining that satisfying sound.

One more vote for the PD. I have ridiculously short fingers (my thumb is as long or longer than every finger but the middle one) and the PD is super comfy for me. The OLFs, Orcs and the like are about as wide as I'm comfortable with although I'm not having too much trouble with a Blizzard Wraith so far.

Check out Latitude 64 and Westside. Their rims are not as wide as the "big two". Some to look at....King, Sword, Havoc, Bolt just to name a few.

Try the Innova SL. My hands aren't very large either. The SL is a speed 10, and most are very flat so they are easy for me to wrap my shorter fingers around. They have great distance potential, but they are easy to control. My longest and most accurate disc.

The havoc is on the verge of too wide for me (2.3cm), but I still like it for some things. But the Sword, at 2.2, is great. I'd totally give it a shot. The Flow is also 2.2, btw. I look to them for different shots though...

PD, OLF, Wraith, Surge, Orc for stable
Beast, Valk, Sidewinder, Flash for understable
Teebird, Leopard, River, Eagle, XL for sneaky long fairway drivers

Latest posts