• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Dakota, Diamond X, and Yellowstone

^^ Perhaps I'm off a bit because last year, there was some MAJOR road work going on in that area. Chip seal projects in Yellowstone, resurfacing in the Tetons, and some kind of one lane craziness in that little section between the parks. If they are not doing construction it can be done in 2 hours each way. Still a commitment though.

There is a fun course in custer, sd as well. I would recommend jackson park in rapid. Have fun, I lived in the black hills for a few years, it is beautiful there!

OK... so it looks like we are going to leave Custer State Park on Friday morning and head straight to Diamond X (6+ hours)... play DX and then head down to the Lamar Valley. See what we can of the valley before heading out of the park and down to Cody. Re-enter the Park on Saturday and go see the geysers and play a round of DG on the Lake course and then back to Cody. Drive back to Rapid City on Sunday for a 6am flight on Monday morning back home.
DSCJNKY

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone... Here's how it worked out:
CusterRoadTripMap.jpg

A) The conference I was attending was at Custer State Park. Since I was only presenting on one day, I got to roam almost the park the first day. If in Custer State Park, don't miss the needles drive and wildlife loop. While at the conference, there was a field trip to Mount Rushmore where we got to be in the park for a special lighting ceremony of the monument at dark. Do this if you have the chance - very proud to be an American while there.

B) Pageant Hill DGC is Custer SD. I got to play with Russel Schwartz and Mark Molan of Innova because they were at the conference too! Pretty neat networking opportunity for me because of my work.

D) Diamond X DGC. You're going to have to read my review for more info... I'll try to get it up within the next few days. Let's just say I puked my brains out on the tee-pad of Hole 18 - heat + physical exertion + taco bell = food for the chipmunks. Also went to Carter's Brewery... great beer considering I also puked my brains out in their parking lot (still jacked up from DX... or was it the taco bell?).

F) Yellowstone Lake DGC (Geroge Anderson). No map at the hotel. Impossible to figure out without one and no local to help. Found a couple holes... but was forced to give up in the interest of seeing the sites in the park!!!

G) Old Faithful and other geothermal features. To be honest Old Faithful is a bust... not that impressive. The other features nearby are far more impressive. But, at least I can say that I've seen it. The Grand Prismatic Pool was awesome.

H) Hayden Valley is gorgeous at sunset under a full moon. It didn't hurt that there was a pack of wolves in the meadow on the other side of the river... along with elk and bison.

Drive between I-J) Bighorn National Forest might have been the most impressive thing I saw along the whole trip. The canyon, the 9666' mountain pass and the views of the 12000'+ mountains in the near distance was phenomenal.

J) Energy Rotary Club DGC in Gillette. Again... check the review for complete detail. Let's just say that it was a great course to break up a road trip with, but not a great course. Airways as opposed to fairways. But, I played with some really great people, including Tom the designer, and Wayne who gave me one of their custom stamped course discs as a souveigner (sp?).

K) Devils Tower National Monument was awesome. I've always seen pictures of it in my Geology books and never thought I'd get to see it in person. The mile and a half loop around the rock is beautiful... and it's cool to see the rock from all angles.

I'll try to post reviews as soon as I can... (I've been lagging on my reviews as of late).
And, will add some pics of awesome stuff to this thread soon.

Thanks again for the help... that's what DGCR is all about.
DSCJNKY

devils tower was a crazy experience, as was harney peak, and the volksmarch up to crazy horse memorial. did all these over the past few summers. not gonna get to go next week with my dad and little brother because of work, even though i'm tempted to call in sick from next thursday to sunday just to get to go along. haha.

G) Old Faithful and other geothermal features. To be honest Old Faithful is a bust... not that impressive. The other features nearby are far more impressive. But, at least I can say that I've seen it. The Grand Prismatic Pool was awesome.

Having just been there exactly 1 month ago, I have the same sentiments. My general feeling about pretty much all the big YS attractions is that although it is great that the infirm among us has such good accessibility to them, the crowds of Griswolds detract a lot.

Glad you had a great time! The puking will lock those memories of DX in forever! :D