• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Speed vs Spin

Nice, thanks - I wouldn't be shocked if we can't get full info either.

Agree re: selection bias. I'm now also curious about the within/between player variances in the spin/speed ratios even if the range is restricted to top players.

Hard to know what this will tell us without more info about the methods and throw types/discs etc., but I grabbed all the within-player data from the current 20 listed. I'll check later and scrape what I can if the player board updates.

You can sort top 20 by speed or rpm, so you can get few extra players data that way.

Not sure if they fixed the calculations, but I heard that on first day they had a bug in their calculations or something. The more wobble you had on your throw the more speed it showed. There were multiple people getting huge numbers from very wobbly and weak shots.

So I think we should take the measurements with a grain of salt.

Not sure if they fixed the calculations, but I heard that on first day they had a bug in their calculations or something. The more wobble you had on your throw the more speed it showed. There were multiple people getting huge numbers from very wobbly and weak shots.

So I think we should take the measurements with a grain of salt.

Pulled data for 33 available players, but w/ comments like this it'd be helpful if we can learn more about the data source.

Pulled data for 33 available players, but w/ comments like this it'd be helpful if we can learn more about the data source.

Is this data broken down by anything other than...a throw of a disc that occurred? Or is disc type, distance, type of swing, etc all completely random?

You can click on anyone's name to see all of their results. Can get far more data that way. I also think the leaderboard resets every day, but not sure. But I'll save today's data in case so I can compare

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Is this data broken down by anything other than...a throw of a disc that occurred? Or is disc type, distance, type of swing, etc all completely random?

I don't know yet - NoseDownKing is apparently up at the tournament and said he'd see if he can learn more at the tourney, including ways to check validity/methods & access full data. I'm eager to do something with the data but I also would like to get some of this important info, otherwise I'm not quite sure what any analysis would mean.

Based on the other metrics (duration/height), and their website mentioning a demo booth and show competition, I'm guessing a bulk of these throws are at the booth with these 0.5s flights. So a lot of these throws are into some net that is maybe 15 to 20m or so away.

This could tempt players to be fast and loose with the sensor to push the metrics, as opposed to just trying to straight up control their shot on a golf/ or even a distance line.

My feeling is that they source whatever IMU they put on this and they're selling the algorithm and processed results primarily. The raw data may be "locked" away unfortunately.

Based on the other metrics (duration/height), and their website mentioning a demo booth and show competition, I'm guessing a bulk of these throws are at the booth with these 0.5s flights. So a lot of these throws are into some net that is maybe 15 to 20m or so away.

This could tempt players to be fast and loose with the sensor to push the metrics, as opposed to just trying to straight up control their shot on a golf/ or even a distance line.

My feeling is that they source whatever IMU they put on this and they're selling the algorithm and processed results primarily. The raw data may be "locked" away unfortunately.

I lost a distance contest to this one time.
Dude threw it so hard and it went further right than straight. hahahaha.

I was watching some of the highlights from the Sula Open and Semerad's throws looked like they had more spin than maybe any other player I've ever watched. Not sure if it was something visual about the discs he was using or what, but it looked like he was getting some crazy rotations on his throws.

Latest posts