• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SQUATCH Legend!

I DID MY RESEARCH ON YOUTUBE!!!

Did you buy one and do a side by side comparison? If not, watching a video on it seems to be a better way to compare than looking at a few pictures and drawing a conclusion.

Not saying you're right or wrong, or that I agree or disagree. Simply making a point.

And besides that, that's where everyone these days does their research! YouTube, Facebooks and the Twittersphere.

If Squatch really violated intellectual property law, Pound will be able to pursue them in court. But that's probably not the case here.

Consumers will benefit from the competition. Now we have more golf bags to choose from!

It's clear you have no idea the time or money involved in prosecuting an intellectual property lawsuit. Six figures and several years, at a minimum.

It isn't competition when 1 team cheats.

Just to sum up the first 4 pages for people, by username and post #:

ODRB 9 panel by panel, stitch by stitch
ME 19 not panel by panel copy per Doth Savek unboxing video
ThrowBot 31 points out ODRB's stitch for stitch claim obviously false
ODRB 32/33 redefines what stitch by stitch means to suit his purposes, claims no one but ThrowBot used that phrase.

I still have 3 more pages to catch up on, but it's been a fun ride so far. heh

It's clear you have no idea the time or money involved in prosecuting an intellectual property lawsuit. Six figures and several years, at a minimum.

It isn't competition when 1 team cheats.

Are you an attorney?

How do you know 1 team is cheating?

We are getting pretty far afield.

I don't know the ultimate quality of a bag that hasn't been released yet. I do know they're cutting corners to get the price down. I do know they bought a Pound bag a few months before their prototype showed up online. I do know their bag looks nearly identical, right down to stitching where the Pound mini pocket is. I do know what IP litigation involves and costs. I do know Levi designed Pound's bags. I do know he's an expert with decades of bag making experience. I do know he calls the Squatch a "panel by panel, stitch by stitch copy".

I also don't think this is healthy competition, for two main reasons:

1. One company stole their design, and it isn't healthy competition when one party cheats; and,

2. I don't suspect there were many (if any) people out there ready to drop $500 for the best bag in DG, who've now decided to get a Squatch. Different target audience, I think.

But here's the thing: there are already tons of good DG citizen companies out there putting in the work, building something from an original idea, snd giving it their all. All of them except Pound have done all that and still managed to prove at or under the Squatch price.

If you don't want to spend $500 for a Pound, at least direct your hard-earned money to a company that put in the work to earn your business. Not these copycat-come-latelies.

Or whatever. No doubt Squatch will sell a bunch of bags. I hope for their next effort, especially since they claim 20+ years of bag design experience, they'll actually come up with an idea of their own.

I do know Levi designed Pound's bags. I do know he's an expert with decades of bag making experience. I do know he calls the Squatch a "panel by panel, stitch by stitch copy".

Except that we have seen an unboxing video and side by side panel by panel comparison, proving Levi's statement (and your own oft repeated claim) as inaccurate. It isn't panel by panel, stitch by stitch.

Caught up on the other 3 pages, at this point just assuming you are trolling and going to ignore what you have to say. FWIW, I did say earlier it screams Octothorpe clone, but it's easy to just not buy it.

I did get to finally use my new Core Pro I've had for a month today tho, enjoyed it quite a bit. Solid bag.

Except that we have seen an unboxing video and side by side panel by panel comparison, proving Levi's statement (and your own oft repeated claim) as inaccurate. It isn't panel by panel, stitch by stitch..

I don't get this. Do you mean if the panels don't match up exactly in every particular, the bag's not a copy? If an angle is shaved here or there, but the bag is built in exactly the same fashion and design, but a corner is nipped or a zipper reversed, it's not copying?

By that metric, which is purely silly, I suppose you're correct.

But if the whole bag works the same, and is constructed in the same way, and it shares identical stylistic elements, even if it's 1" wider or shorter, it's still a copy. Even if they sew a phone pocket into the side. Or add a key clip. Still a copy. In my mind and under US law.

A swoosh of slightly tweaked dimensions still violates Nike's IP. A Gateway Wizard stamped to look like an old Innova CE stamp still violates Innova's IP. A "POLEX" still violates Rolex IP, even with the slight tweak.

Stitch by stitch and panel by panel refers to how it's constructed, not the exact type of thread or shape of one corner.

It's a knockoff, plain and simple. This is dumb. I'm done.

This is dumb. I'm done.

Quitter....

But you do have less and less of a point the more you post. So good call.

By your ridiculous post above, most bags are knockoffs of Grip....including your precious Pound.

Quitter....

But you do have less and less of a point the more you post. So good call.

By your ridiculous post above, most bags are knockoffs of Grip....including your precious Pound.

Pound construction is not even similar to Grip.

Both great bags and companies. Who put in the work.

Your ridiculously big red shoes are showing.

Pound construction is not even similar to Grip.

Both great bags and companies. Who put in the work.

Your ridiculously big red shoes are showing.

That lasted long.

Follow up question. How do you know that this company purchased a Pound bag a few months ago? Did they pay for it with their company card? Was it shipped to the address of their office? Legit curious.

That lasted long.

Follow up question. How do you know that this company purchased a Pound bag a few months ago? Did they pay for it with their company card? Was it shipped to the address of their office? Legit curious.

I second this. Far from a bag expert. I carry a $15 lunch box style most times.

But there are a lot of chains of explicit knowledge of what transpired. That should be validated.

But if the whole bag works the same, and is constructed in the same way, and it shares identical stylistic elements, even if it's 1" wider or shorter, it's still a copy. Even if they sew a phone pocket into the side. Or add a key clip. Still a copy. In my mind and under US law.

A swoosh of slightly tweaked dimensions still violates Nike's IP. A Gateway Wizard stamped to look like an old Innova CE stamp still violates Innova's IP. A "POLEX" still violates Rolex IP, even with the slight tweak.

Stitch by stitch and panel by panel refers to how it's constructed, not the exact type of thread or shape of one corner.

I work in the RV industry. The whole get a competitors product...see how they did something...make our own version of it...profit, is basically how the industry works these days. Unless somebody did something really egregious like make a trailer with silver skin and call it a Waterstream it's just a normal Tuesday.

If anyone is interested, Doth Savek is posting a lot more details about his impressions of the bag in the Disc Golf Podcast Slack group (go to "Throwstufatstuff . com" and join the Slack group, subgroup #bagtalk).

It's interesting because the owner and son of owner of Squatch are active in the conversation thread there. I offer this up not because I think anyone's mind will be changed, but because it's conversation about the details of design and construction by people who have touched the product.

One of the things I noticed in Doth's video was how much the Squatch sags when it's full. I've never noticed that with Octos - but then, I haven't really looked for it either.

Doth commented on in the Slack was how his back could feel the edges of the outside-most discs in the bottom section of the Squatch, much more so than the Octo, and I think he wondered if that would be a long term comfort issue (I think he pointed to the difference in design or padding between the two as the thing that made the difference).

He had really good things to say about the construction of the straps on the Squatch, even in comparison to the Octo.

I realize this doesn't address the main argument here about stealing IP, and that's not my intent. And while Doth has pretty great experience with golf bags, it's just one guy's opinion after all.

Speaking of one guy's opinions, here are my particulars:

I currently alternate between a Revolution Carolina Team bag and a previous version of the UPD Rebel, which now pretty much lives in my Zuca LG cart. I love both these bags because I think they represent top quality in the $200+ category (and I prefer the design of both to Grip bags).

I have an old Fossa Skinny, and I think the new Skinny represents great quality in the $100+ category

I have a Fade Crunchbox and and Innova lunchbox for travel

My first bag was a Wall City lunchbox that rotted away after 10+ years

Latest posts