• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SQUATCH Legend!

I feel the same....I do see the obvious of the Squatch being similar to the Octo BUT I see that everywhere, in almost every product in the U.S.

The Octo was ripe for being undercut charging $500...I mean you have to try hard to find a backpack that costs that much.

Octo is still the Bently of disc golf bags regardless of the Squatch. If Squatch somehow made a bag that is every bit as quality as a Octo, for half the price, it is impressive.

The amount of ppl playing disc golf has tripled....new disc companies, shoe companies, and bag companies are coming to profit off that....there is only so much you can "redesign" in those spaces.

The cream will rise to the top. Pound is sold out and probably has a backup of bags needing to be made...

Gorilla boy couldn't keep up with demand and lost alot of business...I don't even know if they're still making bags?

Delta failed, and then Ridgeroller made a copy with the R3. Hell, Joe was "redesigning" Zuca carts for disc carts, and reselling, before he teamed up with Zuca(then eventually left).

The old top loading square bags(used with quad shocks) were all almost identical, even tho 5-6 companies made them and promoted as "their design".

Ppl take pride in the fact that they have the best bag in the game with the Octo....now another company has come along with a similar bag, promoted with the same quality, for half the price.....I get being upset BUT the core of the outrage is in your feelings....not the actual product. Because this has been happening and will continue to happen indefinitely.

My entire gripe here is that these chuckleheads copied someone else's work and passed it off as their own. It shows a complete lack of integrity.
Saying it happens all the time elsewhere doesn't excuse it.
Phuck these copycats.

My entire gripe here is that these chuckleheads copied someone else's work and passed it off as their own. It shows a complete lack of integrity.
Saying it happens all the time elsewhere doesn't excuse it.
Phuck these copycats.
How is the latest Destroyer, Roc, Aviar ect ...clones any different?

Every gets hard nipples for those releases....this is the same thing

Support the company you want....to choose this specific example for outrage is hypocritical imo.

We have all(including you) supported the exact thing you're mad about in one way or another

Last edited:
How is the latest Destroyer, Roc, Aviar ect ...clones any different?

Every gets hard nipples for those releases....this is the same thing

Support the company you want....to choose this specific example for outrage is hypocritical imo.

We have all(including you) supported the exact thing you're mad about in one way or another

So if you started a business by copying someone else and passing it off as your own creation you'd sleep soundly and look at yourself in the mirror with pride?
No part of you would feel guilt and shame?

So if you started a business by copying someone else and passing it off as your own creation you'd sleep soundly and look at yourself in the mirror with pride?
No part of you would feel guilt and shame?

That is not my point or relevant....morality and business have never gone hand in hand...ever...I'm saying this example has been a regular/normal part of the disc golf market for decades.
A part that we all celebrate and enjoy.

Also, the Squatch is as much of a copy as the Octo, as the Octo is of the Grip, as the ect...ect...

We have 20 disc golf companies that make clones of the original molds.

If the Squatch sucks, the players will decide. If the Squatch is dope, we have another bag option.

If the Squatch wasn't half the price...this wouldn't be a talking point... if the quality of the Squatch isn't as good as the Octo....this isn't a talking point...

What I'm saying is this outrage is hypocritical. I would personally feel like a hypocrite if I got upset about this....I will just buy the bag I want and move along.

Hell, I'm not paying $230 for a bag....I got my Grip knockoff (Voodoo spinal tap 3) for $70.

That is not my point or relevant....morality and business have never gone hand in hand...ever...I'm saying this example has been a regular/normal part of the disc golf market for decades.
A part that we all celebrate and enjoy.

Also, the Squatch is as much of a copy as the Octo, as the Octo is of the Grip, as the ect...ect...

We have 20 disc golf companies that make clones of the original molds.

If the Squatch sucks, the players will decide. If the Squatch is dope, we have another bag option.

If the Squatch wasn't half the price...this wouldn't be a talking point... if the quality of the Squatch isn't as good as the Octo....this isn't a talking point...

What I'm saying is this outrage is hypocritical. I would personally feel like a hypocrite if I got upset about this....I will just buy the bag I want and move along.

Hell, I'm not paying $230 for a bag....I got my Grip knockoff (Voodoo spinal tap 3) for $70.

I don't agree. The Octo is drastically different than a Grip. Completely different designs.
I think you're being disingenuous to support your position.
And it is relevant. I never said the Squatch was a bad bag or poor quality. It probably isn't. But it is a blatant copy, and that reflects on the folks that brought this to market.
Integrity matters.

But it is a blatant copy, and that reflects on the folks that brought this to market.
Integrity matters.

I think the point I find interesting is that there are more blatant examples of this in disc golf with the discs we love and nobody complains.

How many Aviar clones are there? How many companies make their own version of a Roc?

My position isnt one of trying to say these guys are right or wrong, or that I support them or that I don't. I'm just trying to figure out why we choose to die on one hill and not another.

Not new, but a bit different when compared to most backpacks.

3974948194_68c4b1da5a.jpg

Yup. Levi designed that one too.

I think the point I find interesting is that there are more blatant examples of this in disc golf with the discs we love and nobody complains.

How many Aviar clones are there? How many companies make their own version of a Roc?

My position isnt one of trying to say these guys are right or wrong, or that I support them or that I don't. I'm just trying to figure out why we choose to die on one hill and not another.

I've never purchased a Legacy Ghost either.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, they say.
Despite years of experience designing for large companies, these clowns could only come up with a rip off of someone else's unique design.

Okay, sure.

But your not up on the legacy threads bashing them are you? Why not?

*Maybe you are. I don't follow legacy.

You seem like a pretty level-headed guy. Is it really cool with you that someone blatantly copies someone's design and passes it off astheir own?
If your kid did this for a school project, would you defend them and look the other way?

You seem like a pretty level-headed guy. Is it really cool with you that someone blatantly copies someone's design and passes it off astheir own?
If your kid did this for a school project, would you defend them and look the other way?

Ive never said that I agree with it or would support a company blatantly doing this.

But I absolutely recognize that there is rampant "copying" all over in this sport. I just don't understand why we are getting all up in arms over this bag.

Ive never said that I agree with it or would support a company blatantly doing this.

But I absolutely recognize that there is rampant "copying" all over in this sport. I just don't understand why we are getting all up in arms over this bag.

Honestly, it's mostly not this egregious.

I agree. Nobody put out a statement saying after 20 years in the disc golf business we have decided to put our efforts into making a great disc for the disc golf community… And then they bring out a Teebird clone

They just make a Teebird clone and put it in there stable Fairway Driver slot. No taking credit for the design

Last edited:

It's the Pound cult following! When you drop >$300 on a disc golf bag, you're buying into the whole deal...literally, and I guess emotionally in some cases.

The Octothorpe is worth that much to people, not only for the excellent design, but also for the top-notch materials/craftsmanship. And knowing that it's made in the US by workers who are compensated fairly and work in clean and safe environments.

When you take that same highly valued design and cheap out on the rest of it, feelings get hurt, bro. We can't have The Poors being able to afford a bag that kinda looks like mine!

That's different from a Teebird that is made in California and costs $15-20 getting copied as the Rival...which is made in California and costs $15-20.

Latest posts