• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

St. Louis to Waterloo IA next week

jdawg24

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Taking a work road trip Tues-Fri next week and need some beta on courses for my route. Starting in St. Louis, MO...then heading to Decatur, IL...then to Iowa where I'll be visiting Davenport, Cedar Rapids & Waterloo.

What are the must play courses?

in/near st. louis:

jefferson barracks- busiest course in the area for a reason; a good test of golf
sioux passage- a must play course with several truly memorable holes and plenty of challenge for any level of skill
rocksprings- a newer course still getting upgraded/updated; if you can do without concrete tees and some amenities give it a shot- it shouldn't disappoint
woodland- enjoyable course in a somewhat busy multi-use park with multiple tees that offer different looks and variable challenge to keep the improving golfer coming back. some water comes in to play (seasonally), particularly from the blues
west city- under-played and under-appreciated championship caliber course south of st. louis proper; well worth the effort to play

from st. louis to decatur:
foundation park dgc (centralia, il)- a no doubt, must play course
lincoln park (springfeld, il)- recently expanded to 36 holes
douglas park (springfield, il)- on the short side, but i remember it having a few really enjoyable holes

Last edited:
Cedar Rapids courses are not the same as nearby Iowa City courses if you could stop there instead that would be awesome. However in CR there is Jones Park, which is played on the side of a giant hill, mainly open with a few trees scattered throughout. Fun and easy. Legion Park in Marion is 21 hole course that has some unique and challenging holes, definate elevation changes and multiple trees, but the course just doesn't have a good "flow" to it. Shaver Park in CR is probably my favorite of the area, good mix of long, short, left, right shots. Moderately wooded with definate elevation changes on some holes.

If you are near Peoria, Northwoods Park was my personal favorite. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than McNaughton Park in Pekin.