• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stamp artists: Your Software?

What software do you use for stamp creation?

• Photoshop CS4 or below

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Photoshop CS5 or greater

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • GIMP

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Illustrator

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Inkscape

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Corel

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Photoshop/Illustrator tandem

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • other (please post it!)

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters

ZAMson

^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry
I'm looking to get an idea of the software usage of stamp artists. Sorry, my reason for asking doesn't really apply to dyers yet.

I've been thinking about publishing a tool for Photoshop that other artists could use. It's basically a Configurator Panel and a Set of Actions. They do common but useful things. I already use Configurator/Actions extensively at work, and I'm gonna be building an updated panel for myself and stamp creation.

If there's a huge response I might build it with a mind toward other people using it. There's no telling when this would materialize as I'm in no hurry to get this for myself, it's really just a hobby project to get more experience for work. This ONLY WORKS WITH PHOTOSHOP CS5 or greater.

So -- the Poll: what software do you use for stamp creation?
Thanks y'all.

For reference, Configurator: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/configurator/
and see an example of custom panels: http://www.zspline.net/blog/my-photoshop-panels-cs5/

inb4 Photoshop's no good for stamps. It's the best!

Last edited:
Never designed a stamp but have been a graphic designer for 20 years. Been using PS/AI since the beginning. I voted for the tandem because I use the tool that suits the design. I prefer vector artwork but there are times when raster is better.

As for your reason for the question, any type of automation can greatly improve any given workflow. However, the automation needs to suit the designer's workflow and not something that will hinder someone's creative process. While I surely benefit using actions, scripts etc., most of the pre-built actions/workflows I have used have needed to be tweaked in order to fit my process. While this hasn't necessarily been a problem, it can be disruptive if it isn't used more than once or twice. I guess what I'm getting to is that it really depends on what the actions actually do. If they are simple, yes it could be worth it but if they are complex, they might not work in someone else's environment.

Either way, I think it's a good idea to help others simplify things that can be repetitive. Let me know if there is anything I can help with this. (One thing that I've noticed in training people in the use of PS/AI is that automation really only helps the people that have a firm grasp on what the software does or those that don't want to really learn the software. For those that want to learn but are not experienced with the software, shortcuts (automation) doesn't really benefit the user until they have a firm grasp on the capabilities of the software.)

D

PS. I use CS6

Last edited:
This might be a DGCR record -- one post, and my idea is fully reversed. I think a set of template files would be far more useful -- even some JPGs for use with any program. No good reason to overcomplicate things.

Great points, Fraser. I started with PS 4.0 and use PS/AI in tandem.

Still chugging along with Photoshop CS3.
Like the template idea.

bamboo.
CTH470_1.jpg

ZAMson,

I'm sorry if I "burst your bubble". That was not my intention. I think your idea of templates is a great one. I would also suggest common-use images (logos, nice clip-art, etc.) would also be helpful. A lot of problems with pre-press is that DTP software has made it easy for the non-experienced designer to design and submit artwork. A lot of the time, this artwork needs to be redone for high-quality output. Templates (especially raster templates) can help mitigate a lot of these pre-press issues.

The number one thing that I run across in my work is that the raster images are too low in resolution to be reproduced in my publications. A lot of people will say that you really only need 200dpi images but that really depends on the line-screen that the printer uses. Most of the presses that I work with have a line-screen of 175+ making that 200dpi image more blurry than a press that has a 100 line-screen.

Sorry for the rant, but I run into this almost daily, especially with logos. (Example, a client sends me the image of their logo from their website. I can't use that and it's like pulling teeth to ask the client for a high-resolution image of their logo. If it simple enough, I just redraw the thing with vectors so I don't have to worry about it ever again.)

D

Ha, no I appreciated the burst. Yesterday I got myself all excited about downloading a newer Configurator and really taking a crack at some updates to my panels. I got to thinking, "damn this would brighten the world!"

But in my over-eager thinking, I ignored your later well-stated logic that anyone interested in using custom panels already knows how to use the hell out of PS. That's not the type of user I'd run to and say "look! you've got a Threshold button now!"

I considered what all this panel would do, and you're right -- it's specific to my workflow, and that's the way it should stay. I could upload some handy templates and tutorial steps and be more of a help to others.

So yeah, no sarcasm, no tears, and you probably saved me a lot of work :thmbup:

ZAMson,

I'm sorry if I "burst your bubble". That was not my intention. I think your idea of templates is a great one. I would also suggest common-use images (logos, nice clip-art, etc.) would also be helpful. A lot of problems with pre-press is that DTP software has made it easy for the non-experienced designer to design and submit artwork. A lot of the time, this artwork needs to be redone for high-quality output. Templates (especially raster templates) can help mitigate a lot of these pre-press issues.

The number one thing that I run across in my work is that the raster images are too low in resolution to be reproduced in my publications. A lot of people will say that you really only need 200dpi images but that really depends on the line-screen that the printer uses. Most of the presses that I work with have a line-screen of 175+ making that 200dpi image more blurry than a press that has a 100 line-screen.

Sorry for the rant, but I run into this almost daily, especially with logos. (Example, a client sends me the image of their logo from their website. I can't use that and it's like pulling teeth to ask the client for a high-resolution image of their logo. If it simple enough, I just redraw the thing with vectors so I don't have to worry about it ever again.)

D

I feel your pain. I own a small print shop/graphic design company now, and I used to be a prepress manager for a large commercial shop with 400 line-screen stochastic printing. Internet resolution is not good enough, and Adobe software is dangerous in the wrong hands.

ZAMson,

I'm glad that what I wrote was taken in the way that I meant it. I can relate on having a new toy and seeing all the potential that that new toy could do for you. I've been there many, many times. Going back to the automation thing, I've spent close to 200 hours (and over two years of tweaks) writing an AppleScript that creates a new base project that contains every type of file, template text specific to the project, a website that is specific to the project, uploads said project and a ton of other little things. I do about 60 of these projects a year. The script saves me from forgetting one of the many steps to set up a project. The setup would only take me about twenty minutes to do manually but I would always have to fix things that I forgot to do. The great thing about this script is that it can be used by anyone that needs to setup a project on my server. It won't work anywhere else, though.
I could upload some handy templates and tutorial steps and be more of a help to others.
This is the best thing that anyone of us could do for the benefit of others.
So yeah, no sarcasm, no tears, and you probably saved me a lot of work
That's good to hear. I'm glad I could help. ;)

jimbosprint,

I too am a SBO but since I'm the only employee as well, I have to do everything. :rolleyes: I got my first art director position at age 24. At the time, we were transitioning from traditional boards (paste-up/stripping) to a digital workflow. I've seen a lot of the changes in our industry over the last two decades and I must say it is much easier and harder now than it ever was. Sometimes I miss the old camera/negative/flat work. It made our work look more magical back then.
...Adobe software is dangerous in the wrong hands.
At least most of the artwork submitted in Adobe's formats are easy to fix. Unlike Word or Publisher...(shudders)

The ONLY reason to desire any version above CS3: Rotate Canvas... turns your screen into paper. I even use this to simulate a spinning disc.
OK... that is way cool.
Now I gotta have it, thanks a lot.

Interesting discussion. I was wondering about the vector files and what to use to turn in files for stamps. Good thread.

Is that what you use when I can't center a stamp?

Unfortunately, the only way to center a stamp properly is to do it by sight. Sometimes stamps need to look right more than be dead center (especially on non-circle based designs).

Interesting discussion. I was wondering about the vector files and what to use to turn in files for stamps. Good thread.

The benefit to an all vector design is that the files are resolution independent. The same file can be used for a business card or a billboard. I feel that the learning curve for vector art is much steeper than learning how to push pixels around. PS and AI are really two totally different beasts. The power of PS is in photography and the power of AI is in the true meaning of graphics. Each have their place and should be used in tandem in the design industry. Each of them do their specialty much better than the other.

As for submitting artwork, any good prepress/press house can work with the common file formats. Typically they will be rasterized anyway through a RIP (raster image processor) station. In my experience, having PDF/X compliant files drastically reduces problems in the RIP. However, the initial setup has to be done right. Is it 1 color, 2 or 3 color (spot), full color (4-color process) or full color with another spot color (foil as an example). You really need to understand these things in order to save the prepress people from headache. As a designer, if you have never worked with a specific prepress/press house, it is best to find out from them the preferred file type/format and find out any specific guidelines that they might request.
Unfortunately, the only way to center a stamp properly is to do it by sight. Sometimes stamps need to look right more than be dead center (especially on non-circle based designs).
I would agree with this statement. Things like composition and balance need to be taken into consideration for placement on any substrate.

I definitely use both PS and AI in tandem. PS for roughing out the ideas into a concrete solution. AI for clean up if needed. I tried using PS straight up but I found using AI that it forces me to "trim the fat" and square everything up from the PS design.

Latest posts