• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standstill & Figure 8 Motion Pattern

This is your best work yet. Seriously. This should be linked as the first video for all beginners to watch. That counter clockwise/clockwise shift makes so much sense! I like that you showed it from a more neutral stance and diagonal battering ram. You can see this same motion in all the pros

Barsby neutral

Anthon more diagonal

MJ really emphasizes this motion on everything from short putt to long upshots

Putt

Long putt /upshot

Basically every pro does some version of this figure 8

Bradley Williams

Sexton

Really easy to see with Philo

Also interesting - from the originator of the squash the bug/spin and throw craze. You can see that he's trying to do this same motion in the closed shoulder snap drill, but that back leg spins out. And thus the "spin and throw" is born…

Ah so this is essentially what I was doing in the field the other day when I made my dingle arm post.

I got comfortable enough with the feeling yesterday that I changed it up a bit and was doing a bit of a windmill with the throwing arm and actually taking a small step forward to throw. Previously I was just letting the throwing arm hang limp and without taking any steps forward shifting my heels up and down to generate the hip movement and then gripping down tight on the disc as my arm was swinging forward to throw.

I could really feel the whip at the end of the throw keeping my feet stationary. I feel it with the small baby step forward, but it's not as noticeable. I'd like to get some video of this, because I'm not sure if the reduced whip sensation is because the footwork timing is just a bit off, or potentially something else. If you're stationary and just shifting the heel up and down you can feel the difference in a great dingle arm swing and an ok one. In my experience it seems like the great ones occur when the lead heel gets a firm plant after the toe lands first…aka crushing the can.

That stationary swing forces the legs to compress in order for the hips to rotate. Part of me thinks that my adding the baby step into the equation I might not be compressing as much either because I'm focusing on getting that bit of forward slide with my lead leg.

Distance between the two throws is identical but I don't feel the whip effect as much adding the baby step. Been getting 250-270 with mids and 270-300 with fairways with no run up. Haven't had any nose angle issues either.

On a standstill throw like in the video, does my lead foot and release point still need to be aimed at that 10:00 or 11:00 position? I've gotten a lot better at timing the throws so the go straight ahead of where I'm lined up, but still get a few that grip lock 45 degrees to the right.

On a standstill throw like in the video, does my lead foot and release point still need to be aimed at that 10:00 or 11:00 position? I've gotten a lot better at timing the throws so the go straight ahead of where I'm lined up, but still get a few that grip lock 45 degrees to the right.
I don't think about clock positions, focus is on feeling the weight of the disc wanting to eject to the apex of the trajectory, kind of like tossing horseshoes. Adjust your stance to allow that full release to the target/apex.

Some of the descriptions could use updating but this and SW's to down of KY from earlier show it in action - https://imgur.com/Alq70Di

Alq70Di.jpg

Just going to drop this here... so I can find it faster next time haha.

Thanks so much for this video, it really helps put a bunch of individual concepts like the battering ram together with everything else! It's worth watching over and over..

Figure 8 is a very helpful idea. I was playing with it tossing putters in the yard,. Seemed to help get solid power into standstill throws, and it pretty much eliminated my tendency to yank right. Can't wait to test it on the course. Thanks!

Tried this on some upshots and it felt great at league night the past couple weeks, my issue is usually getting a consistent release point on standstills and this kind of loose wind-up with the knees/legs seems to get that correct more often. Just have to choose the correct disc now.

While I haven't gone to the field and fully tried it out, the diagonal swing (battering ram) that you talk about and demonstrate in the video feels more intuitive, powerful, and simple than the out-in-out swing. Instead of out-in-out, it is more of an in-in-out (kind of what the stand-still video looks like). It seems to help me focus on keeping my elbow out and focus on the 10 o'clock ejection.

My question is, is it wrong to throw this way?

I think it might cause issues with rounding. Other than that, I'm not sure.

As always, good stuff.

While I haven't gone to the field and fully tried it out, the diagonal swing (battering ram) that you talk about and demonstrate in the video feels more intuitive, powerful, and simple than the out-in-out swing. Instead of out-in-out, it is more of an in-in-out (kind of what the stand-still video looks like). It seems to help me focus on keeping my elbow out and focus on the 10 o'clock ejection.

My question is, is it wrong to throw this way?

I think it might cause issues with rounding. Other than that, I'm not sure.

As always, good stuff.
I think a lot of people get confused on this.

Out-in-out or wide-narrow-wide is all relative to your body/CoG, not necessarily the target or line although it could be. It is about the inertial confrontation between two masses.

You can reachback across the line as far as you want and not round, so long as your upper arm/humerus remains wide away from your chest and you turn your shoulders/chest back enough to not collapse the angle or hug yourself. This is why 360's and Olympic Hammer throws and some really flexible people are not rounding.

I think a lot of people get confused on this.

Out-in-out or wide-narrow-wide is all relative to your body/CoG, not necessarily the target or line although it could be. It is about the inertial confrontation between two masses.

You can reachback across the line as far as you want and not round, so long as your upper arm/humerus remains wide away from your chest and you turn your shoulders/chest back enough to not collapse the angle or hug yourself. This is why 360's and Olympic Hammer throws and some really flexible people are not rounding.

Would you think someone like Seppo Paju fits that description?

It's nice to see a question answered that I didn't know needed to be asked. It's funny how some of things don't click until later.

Would you think someone like Seppo Paju fits that description?

It's nice to see a question answered that I didn't know needed to be asked. It's funny how some of things don't click until later.
Seppo is more inside-out or narrow-wide. Although he tends to widen back out more when throwing longer.

So that's how you really do the OLD?
There is figure 8 motion pattern in One Leg Drill and Elephant Walk.

Even in the extremist version of OLD with rear foot airborne(which I don't really recommend actually throwing from, but do it without throwing or without disc), it is still doing the figure 8 motion pattern. In OLD I talk about letting the rear foot pressure down on the ground some for more leverage which is the version I recommend doing and you see me throwing in the vid.

The main variable in these drills is how much pressure and mass you let shift back. The constant is the pressure and mass always move in the same motion pattern. If you shift all pressure(and balance) back to rear foot, then you can then stride front foot forward or even backward like Hershyzer or Kick the Can or sideways into Elephant Walk.

I did an exaggerated figure 8 for my first throw today, bombed the hell out of it, and had to go home because my arm tendons were so sore after the throw. Note to self, warm up before maximum exertion using new techniques.

More continuous movement and rhythm in the swing.

Perpetual Motion drills are so good, yet I rarely see players doing them. Most players try to do the opposite freezing and getting static and tight and rigid. Funny how Ben Hogan was teaching them way back and of course is a staple from Shawn Clement.

Interesting Dr Kwon was basically doing door frame/bow & arrow drill toward the end.

Latest posts