• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Plastic

Yes. Champion is far superior in durability to Star. Star's not that good, IMO. Lat 64 Gold line and Westside Tournament kill it in appearance, feel, flight, and durability. Star also has the least glide of Innova's plastics, and most anyone else's for that matter.

Very interesting....

Thanks, that's the kind of opinion I'm looking for.

Honestly I really don't notice a flight difference between star and champ. The durability is pretty much the same, only that Star scrapes more than Champ, while Champ has more chunkage.

Some people really dislike Star because it feels slick. I prefer it, even when its a bit wet. I use Star for my Destroyers, Teebirds, PDs (though I sometimes bag pro PDs) Wraiths and Makos. So I use it for a variety of shots. But Star puttees are pretty much garbage IMO.

But Star putters are pretty much garbage IMO.

I don't use very much Innova anymore, but I disagree on this. Star Aviar P&As and star Rhynos are nice putters because they keep their flight characteristics for a longer period of time. I still occasionally bring star Rhynos to the course on windy days for approach duties. I personally prefer them to champ and they fly different than the pro and r-pro (more stable). It's been a long time since I threw DX plastic. The last couple of DX discs that I bought had big gouges in them after just one throw.

CE will never come back because it is to hard to destroy. Disc sales go down with the product doesn't break so the customer has to buy another.

Discraft Ti is as durable as any CE disc I have. Since it doesn't seem to break in Discraft decided to make it only in hard to find colors so people would buy more after losing them.

I like Star plastic. My bag is full of Star and Sirius.

Not a fan of the Champ. stuff really. I have an old CE Xout JLS and it's more like Star than modern Champ.

^^^:D

Star is my most common plastic, with some Champ/Elite Z and a bit of Pro, R-Pro, ESP, and Vibram. Its not the best plastic for wet but that's why I have others. It flips up nicely, I can get 350' regularly and is almost as durable as Champ, if you keep it off the asphalt.
I never throw DX or similar, it dings and warps too easily.

Last edited:
Honestly I really don't notice a flight difference between star and champ. The durability is pretty much the same, only that Star scrapes more than Champ, while Champ has more chunkage.

Some people really dislike Star because it feels slick. I prefer it, even when its a bit wet. I use Star for my Destroyers, Teebirds, PDs (though I sometimes bag pro PDs) Wraiths and Makos. So I use it for a variety of shots. But Star puttees are pretty much garbage IMO.

Star is the hardest of their plastics, and it flies like it. I see mostly just cosmetic scuffing to the surface of Champion plastic. Champion also retains it's original flight better than any other Innova plastic.

^^^:D

Star is my most common plastic, with some Champ/Elite Z and a bit of Pro, R-Pro, ESP, and Vibram. Its not the best plastic for wet but that's why I have others. It flips up nicely, I can get 350' regularly and is almost as durable as Champ, if you keep it off the asphalt.
I never throw DX or similar, it dings and warps too easily.

So true. My star firebird got destroyed today playing in rocky arkansas. In four rounds went from beefy to flippy (flippy for a firebird anyway). Ti Buzzz got it's first nick too.

150 champ teebirds and leopard? Not a scratch.

Thew main things I notice about the different plastics are the general feel and durability. i'm not good enough to notice the difference in the flight. I'm still so sporadic that I can't really nail down the differences much. Star feels a little slicker to me than champ. Star does make a putter stay awesome looking. It doesn't ding and scratch up like the other plastics. It also seems to take sliding across pavement better than the others.

DX and Pro counterparts don't have better glide than Star? Even Innova says so. And I'll add Champion to that too.

It's my opinion that Star has much better glide than Champ. I'll agree that Pro and DX have better glide than Star. If I remember correctly, Innova lists Pro with the most glide followed by DX then Star, with Champ bringing up the rear. I tend to agree with this. As for durability, not so much nicks and scratches, but maintaining flight qualities, Champ seems the most durable to me, with Star a close second.

I use champ in the summer months but switch to star in the winter. The softer feel of star is great when the weather is cold.

It's my opinion that Star has much better glide than Champ. I'll agree that Pro and DX have better glide than Star. If I remember correctly, Innova lists Pro with the most glide followed by DX then Star, with Champ bringing up the rear. I tend to agree with this. As for durability, not so much nicks and scratches, but maintaining flight qualities, Champ seems the most durable to me, with Star a close second.

Mirrors my observations exactly, at least in Wraiths, where I've thrown each of the plastics. Harder to gauge durability in my Gators, where I've thrown champ, star and DX, only because the blunt nose resists damage well even in DX.

I have a 175 Champ Boss and a 175 Star Boss. I have thrown them both on the same hole many times. They almost always end up within about 10-15 feet of each other (as long as i didn't screw up the toss of course) I have noticed zero difference in flight path, Stability, Distance, Glide, Speed between the 2. Just different tackiness of material. I use the Star when it's colder out, and the champ for my main driving.

Latest posts