• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Covid Form League

mostlynorwegian

Tosser with plastic
& our governor has announced we get till May 30th to sit around and not go crazy. The good part is. We get to look like ninjas now whenever we do have to go outside.
Field throwing is going to look a little more official wearing a face mask, or maybe a little more ridiculous.
I've been addicted to disc golf for around 4, maybe 5 years. I'm close to 49, but am still reasonably active. Been working through bad form in those years, and strong arming discs that throwing a regular frisbee learned into you and the soreness that came with not taking the time to let motion, and form handle the distance part of throwing instead.
Over the years I've used field throwing as the primary outlet and way I throw disc golf discs. My city of Chicago is a desert for courses. Being carless, a Metra train to Dellwood for me is a 3.23 hour trip, and I'm not particularly interested in public forms of transport during the Covid punishment.
So, the field work has improved my distance from barely 200' bh strong arming it with discs ending up all over the place, to about 300', and I can get my discs midrange and up to mostly within circle 2 range and my forehand / sidearm has also improved since I started incorporating it more into field throwing so that I can get about the same distance with speed 6 and up discs for about a third of them.
My field throwing presently is basketless, so I go out and follow Nate Sextons sage wisdom, and ask. Why Are Tree's, and find one to throw at off in the distance, and has a range of angles to attack it from, and pick out 10 discs from my bag to work with and see if I can find those lines the discs I picked out are supposedly good for, and try and hit them.
I leave my Traveler basket at home, and it's set up for my Covid putting league, which I will ramble about in another post.
I do this for about an hour, maybe two. Cycle through my bag with ten discs out at a time.
I'm trying to really learn about all those discs I pick up for whatever urge but never really throw much. So, that really means I have multiples of quite a few molds. So, that's where my field work is at. Getting the molds sorted out, and to learn about them.
Yesterday, it was small diameter midranges and fairway drivers.
i.e. 3x Cro's, 3x s line GM's, 1 Panther.
2 Eagle, L and 2 X, and 4x Panther.
It's sort of fun having multiples so I'll write about the Cro a bit.
I'm digging on the Cro a lot. I got the R-Pro a long time ago, and found a DX, and a first run grippy star plastic one at PIAS last year. R-pro always felt strange, so I didn't really fall hard to the Cro. It's also domier. Personal quirk. But, the flat grippy Star one is, a wow disc. As a 1, 2, 3, punch. It's a great set to have. It sort of reminds me of a Rat for its flight. Or a Shark. Which are two discs I also have. It's not going to turn over too much. But, it will go exactly where you think to throw it if your release timing is off. It's also a lot more comfortable in the hand overall as a forehand disc than the Rat, and I have better distance control with it as that disc and the Rat kind of is only good for me in the same range as my Aviarx3 as a forehand disc. SO, I guess this is also an excuse to beat up on the Rat a bit.

Out of coffee.
I'll get to posting some videos at some point.

Covid putting league: The porch side.
I have my Traveler basket set up on my porch. We are on the third floor, which provides some wicked wind play. I have marked off 5' increments back to about 35'. I also have a couple stairwells to mess around with. I have a thirteen foot stairwell i putt up to, or over the gap to.

I'm working on figuring out the better place to start my putt from. The belly, or below the gooch. They booth serve their purpose and ideal range. The main issue I'm trying to work on from the belly is putt height. It feels like which muscle group I am using to push from is the key
If I'm fighting stance: either foot as a lead, I'm putting from the belly. If I straddle. It's a gooch putt.
If I putt from one position. I use ten discs. If I putt from multiple positions, I go three to five discs per, or just a random dispersal if it's a stairwell.
My putters, / approach, and pray to make it discs.
Aviar P&A, 3 ring dx 1x 148, 2x 171. Star 1, 163 gram. I take the Star out, and the DX's stick around the house. The Star is the understable, (mostly) one as an approach.
Regular DX 165, R-Pro 175
Aviar Classic DX 171
Rhyno 3x, DX 167, Champ 176, G Star 176. I could, and do use this as a primary putter. I also use it for approach to about 200', and windy day putt discs.
Discs I will use to putt that are also approach, etc.
Dart, G-Star 172, I'm really digging this disc an awful lot. A go where you throw it disc. Just find a line, and it will abide by that it to the end.
Pig R-Pro, 171, I like the Pig. It's that disc I wish were in more plastics. So here I am with one Pig, and three Rhino's on hand, and one that has hopefully made it's way up to the lost bin up at Sandy Point.
Aviar 3, Star 175, If I bag this. It's what the Rhino would be. The star plastic isn't quite there for me. Not nearly supple enough (yet). Nice disc for windy putting.
AviarX3 Star 167. I love this disc. It's so comfortable as a forehand approach type disc. Good softish grippy star plastic. If I need to forehand anywhere near a basket and be content with not banging chains. This is the one. This is where I need to work on my forehands, I guess. For backhand, I will use it as a putter. With how overstable it is. I sort of have to adjust my putt to it.
Out of beer.

Living in a city, and exploring the porch putting exercises:
Living in a 3 story building, I have a back porch that extends the length of the building and is about 10 - 12 feet extended out from the building, and for some reason people are not active users of it. Which leaves me pretty much free rein to do whatever.
It also leaves a lot of room to play with gaps, throw in what is basically a wind tunnel, penetrate narrow weird stuff with height, and drop, and ceilings. And I have to climb stairs and fetch things when they drop, and deal with discs hyzering out into the neighboring lot. It's great for a 49 year old, and probably anyone else to explore the back deck if they need to stay sane and learn more about putting.
It's sort of also amusing to see disc marks on the wooden beams.

Latest posts