• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

stong arming denail

The best part of learning to throw with the body instead of the arm... you get to play all day. Your arm never gets tired. As long as you can walk the course, you can keep playing. This ability alone has made me better at my short game, because I can get in more practice. The additional distance on drives didn't hurt either.

It also reduces the possibility of injury. That's a big deal as you get older.

yes yes yes yes yes yes.

I played 2 rounds yesterday at Memorial. Holes generally over 400'. My arm wasn't tired at all. Just that I walked 4 miles to finish two rounds :hfive:

Coulda played another.

Haha, for real thts crazy. I had a feeling that was you. It was an esp surge btw. I need to change my name. I hate flx plastic for one reason or another. Well definatly have to play again sometime. Maybe well play on the same card at highland on saturday. What division you playing in?

im going to be playing novice, just gunna play my rating. im going to have to keep an eye on the thread for now on!

Strong arming is something I have been working on, and has been a hot topic lately; another thread we talk about that rag doll type arm.

I've had a few throws where I think I've got it right and my discs have gone a long way, but its so easy after not getting the distance you want to throw "harder" and then go even shorter and get into a cycle; or, if thinking about something else and have it slip. Like yesterday, I was playing with the idea of gripping hard right when I would come into the chest and was getting some great snap, but then my shoulder popped (common with my bad shoulder) because while I wasn't paying attention, I was jerking my arm.

I was playing with the idea of gripping hard right when I would come into the chest

Very bad. Flexing as hard as you can then trying to extend is a great way to cause serious damage to the tendons in your arm. You don't grip hard until the disc is pivoting around your lock point which happens like, right at the very last second.

I have a hard enough time making that pivot happen at the right time. lol No, but I get what you are saying. I just figured I'd start it there and by the time it got to that point I would have grip pressure. Timing any of it is difficult. Think maybe I can try getting the feel for it doing some hammer drills.

I'm not a big snap thrower, but the way I understand it gripping hard isn't necessarily important when learning the timing. Gripping too early can cause you to tense up too much and limit the amount of wrist extension you get and prevent snap.

Latest posts