• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling to decide on a backpack

93EXCivic

Double Eagle Member
I am currently rocking a Magellan Outdoors backpack but I want to upgrade. I am not sure how much longer it will last (straps are starting to fray) and I am planning on attaching it to a cart I am building. The backpack is really the perfect size for me as it will carry my normal load of discs (7 putters, 1 mid, 9 drivers) plus three or four back-ups for tournament rounds or a few discs that I am trying out during casual rounds. My only complaints in terms of space is the side pocket as it will not fit a XL hoodie or jacket. I'd like to stay around the same size bag.

The options I am considering are the Hyzerbomb FlakX or the Voodoo Spinal Tap3 primarily as they seem about the same size. But I was wondering about a bit bigger bags like the Fossa Tanna Pro, Millennium Flak4 or UPD Rebel. I am not sure how much extra these bigger bags weigh. Also with bigger bags, if you don't fill them up do the discs just kind of flop around?

Anyone have any experience with these bags especially in of size comparison to the Magellan.

Any reason you don't have Grips on that list? They're pretty much tanks, and mine attached to a golf cart pretty well for me. Also, you can find them used for pretty cheap these days.

I own a flak and rebel. The flak is like having a suitcase on your back. Can carry a ton of stuff but not comfortable and very heavy when full. I only use mine on a cart now.

Rebel isnt quite as big but can hold nearly as many discs and the bag is very comfortable when full. I find the side pockets to be plenty big enough just have to roll up a thicker sweatshirt to get in there like you would packing any backpack for a hike...

I wouldnt really put the rebel on the level of a "huge" bag. The footprint isn't small but the bag itself wears very well and feels smaller than it is.

Yes discs will flop around in any bag that is not full but UPD has nice dividers in the main compartment and the top putter pockets make it really easy for me to carry a full or slimmed down bag compared to any others i own or have seen used.

I have had good feeback on the MVP bag as well but no personal experience.

Any reason you don't have Grips on that list? They're pretty much tanks, and mine attached to a golf cart pretty well for me. Also, you can find them used for pretty cheap these days.

No good reason really. I guess the AX would be a good fit? I think I was a little nervous on the size. A guy I play with quite often has a B15 I think and it seems a little small (particularly carrying 3 thick Polecats) and the AX15s I have seen looked huge.

I own a flak and rebel. The flak is like having a suitcase on your back. Can carry a ton of stuff but not comfortable and very heavy when full. I only use mine on a cart now.

Rebel isnt quite as big but can hold nearly as many discs and the bag is very comfortable when full. I find the side pockets to be plenty big enough just have to roll up a thicker sweatshirt to get in there like you would packing any backpack for a hike...

I wouldnt really put the rebel on the level of a "huge" bag. The footprint isn't small but the bag itself wears very well and feels smaller than it is.

Yes discs will flop around in any bag that is not full but UPD has nice dividers in the main compartment and the top putter pockets make it really easy for me to carry a full or slimmed down bag compared to any others i own or have seen used.

I have had good feeback on the MVP bag as well but no personal experience.

Which Flak? The 4 or X?

The MVP bag looked good but perhaps too small. The site says a 20 disc setup but I am worried with the number of putters I carry (particularly thick ones like Polecats that it would struggle to fit). Maybe I am wrong.

The Magallen says 21 inside plus two on top. Although the putter pocket kind sucks as I'd like to put two Polecats there but I can only fit a Polecat and Zone.

Last edited:
Older flak3. The X i believe didnt get great feedback when released... Would need to do some DD there. No complaints from customers saying MVP bag is too small. Big putters/discs are a problem for any bag. Specially those with smaller openings or compartments.

Older flak3. The X i believe didnt get great feedback when released... Would need to do some DD there. No complaints from customers saying MVP bag is too small. Big putters/discs are a problem for any bag. Specially those with smaller openings or compartments.

Thanks for the feedback I will probably take the Flaks off the list then.

If you can find an used A series, they kinda fall between the B15 and the AX or whatever the biggest one is.

Good prices on grip bags lately. They're solid, and set the industry standard.
BUT, if you can swing it, ain't no bags out there finer than POUND bags.

The Rebel is one of the lightest and best balanced full sized backpacks I've ever tried on. And I've used almost all of them. I borrowed my buddy's for a round a bit ago as I was trying to decide between the Flak X and Rebel, while I like the look and color of the Flak X better, the comfort and weight of the Rebel sold me.

I had pre-ordered the v4 Rebel at the beginning of November, but shortly after I found out about about the Spinal Tap 3. I ordered both, and plan to return one. The ST3 Ghost Edition got delivered yesterday. Here's a quick review:

The ST3 appears much larger/wider. The overall fit & finish of the ST3 is better, imo. The details and execution seems more thought out on the ST3, and the black-on-black ghost edition is awesome looking. The Rebel is absolutely a quality bag--don't get me wrong, but to me, the material feels slightly cheaper and easier to damage than the ST3. I packed each bag full of discs, and both feel comfortable while worn. I know the Rebel is heralded as one of the most comfortable bags, but it was hard to tell compared to the ST3. Both distributed weight well, albeit, i was only wearing them for a few minutes. Both bags have large enough side pockets to fit Condors or Zephyrs, and still fit a light weight jacket and small gear.

UPD and the Rebel are known for the vertical storage, which is convenient, however the pockets are slightly awkward. They are either too loose with not enough discs, or overflowing with too many discs. In either situation, the discs don't feel secure. It could just be the combo of discs I was trying to use. The ST3 has its own "vertical" storage incorporated as well. The putter pocket holds 3 comfortably, but there are two additional pockets than can hold about 6 discs. This allows the ST3 to pack a similar load to the Rebel. When the bottom vertical pocket of the Rebel is used, the main compartment discs can be difficult to remove. Likewise, when the lower flap pocket on the ST3 has a disc in it, it can also be difficult--more so than on the Rebel.

I was able to fit 31 discs in the ST3, and 30 in the Rebel (with the disc separators removed). Looking back, that last disc would have fit in a side pocket of the Rebel.

-- more photos coming in following post --

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_133733.jpg
    IMG_20161207_133733.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20161207_134114.jpg
    IMG_20161207_134114.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 66
For the images in this post, for comparison sake, I used the exact same disc set up in each bag. It's not a realistic disc set-up, but I used what I had available in multiples to fill the two bags.

I still have not made up my mind, but I am leaning to the ST3. The bags are similar enough that there is not a bad choice really. I was able to get the ST3 Ghost Eddition (all black) on Black Friday with a stool and mini, and all together it comes in cheaper than the Rebel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good prices on grip bags lately. They're solid, and set the industry standard.
BUT, if you can swing it, ain't no bags out there finer than POUND bags.

The extra $100 is a bit rich for my blood honestly.

In my opinion this is the finest disc golf bag out there.
attachment.php

I know it's OOP but you can still get them on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_20160214_131434.jpg
    IMG_20160214_131434.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 160
lots of good options out there, IMO for the price, the Tana Pro is hard to beat.

I like mine a lot.

I was gonna say, I have a Grip, but those Fossa bags are looking nice.

I've got a Grip A-series and love the bag. For whatever reason, it fits me better than anything else and is the most comfortable. Doesn't hurt that it's extremely well made and durable.

Aim has my Rebel. I actually liked that bag a lot, but realized I'd never chose it over my Grip for a normal round, so I let it go. Going to order a Shift for different courses to truly have a reason to carry a different bag.

I think either Grip or UPD would be great options, but one I haven't seen mentioned is the Lat backpack. If you're using a cart the lack of a second bottle holder probably isn't a huge issue, and there's so much storage in that bag you'd barely need any additional cart storage. I know my BIL loves his.