• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sub-section for "local" places to eat?

Is there any interest for a subsection for state by state local delicacies when traveling to play di

• Yes

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

Vonbeezy1

Banned
Would there be any interest in a state by state subsection that would tell you the best places to eat in the larger cities where there are hole in the wall places and local treats you can't find anywhere else?
For example, in Illinois we have what's called a horseshoe. It's essentialy a piece of bread covered in hamburger (can be substituted for bacon, chicken, buffalo chicken, ribeye, philly cheese etc) and that covered in fries and drizzled in cheese.
Top to bottom- Drizzled cheese
Fries
Meat (usually hamburger)
Bread
I think it would be a cool thing to have a thread for local delicacies when you travel to dg, what say you?
I know you can google options but sometimes you miss the real winners and the secret menu items.

As someone who NEVER ventures into travel&meets (unfortunately never get to travel ATM) I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Sure you can Google stuff but so what? South Park actually just covered internet reviews [Yelp] perfectly on Wednesday. Sure they exaggerate in SP but the point is relevant - some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life was from word of mouth and/or hole in the wall places. Reviews lie...same goes for movies and other "rankable" things.

Maybe list the places that support local disc golf so out of town travelers can bring their business there.

I usually list exceptional local restaurants in my reviews, if the course is close to an interstate. Just trying to help out fellow weary travelers! I don't know if we need a separate subsection though.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what disc golfer's like to eat. I know I ate some damn good Mexican food in Apex once thanks to advice from I think a New013 review.

I'd be interested to see what disc golfer's like to eat. .

Herein lies the problem. We can't agree on what a 5-star course is, or the best midrange, or whether roped O.B. is good or bad. Who's food tastes do you want to trust?

Maybe list the places that support local disc golf so out of town travelers can bring their business there.

This^^^^

And I voted yes.
Never would have found Sonny's landing in Rochester had I not heard about it here. Weird cheap burgers and discs to browse while waiting!

I think this would be a better option for directory listings (especially if it comes up in the app) than a sub-area of the forums, but it's a great idea regardless.

I think with my stomach when I'm not thinking with my pants, so yeah...I'd be down for something along those lines...:D

Would there be any interest in a state by state subsection that would tell you the best places to eat in the larger cities where there are hole in the wall places and local treats you can't find anywhere else?
For example, in Illinois we have what's called a horseshoe. It's essentialy a piece of bread covered in hamburger (can be substituted for bacon, chicken, buffalo chicken, ribeye, philly cheese etc) and that covered in fries and drizzled in cheese.
Top to bottom- Drizzled cheese
Fries
Meat (usually hamburger)
Bread
I think it would be a cool thing to have a thread for local delicacies when you travel to dg, what say you?
I know you can google options but sometimes you miss the real winners and the secret menu items.

I've lived in Chicago for over a decade now and have never heard of this horseshoe thing...

anywhoo... there is yelp and google and etc... might be overkill for DGCR to chime in on that
maybe stick it in your review if you found an amazing place close to the course...

we have italian beef sammiches too... I tried to get some out of towners into it but they couldn't get down with a wet sammich... even though it is amazing dipped and with giardinieria (did I get enough "i" in that? :p)

hmmm horseshoe

I recommended some local food joints in my "other thoughts" section of a review recently. I don't normally do that sort of thing, but the course was sort of remote and I knew the area well.

Herein lies the problem. We can't agree on what a 5-star course is, or the best midrange, or whether roped O.B. is good or bad. Who's food tastes do you want to trust?

It's not about trust, it's about options. Do I opt for the dimly lit deli in the corner of the rundown strip mall or do I opt for the shiny McDonalds I just saw? I know what McD's will bring me but if a golfer tried the deli and liked it I'm going that route.

I've lived in Chicago for over a decade now and have never heard of this horseshoe thing...

anywhoo... there is yelp and google and etc... might be overkill for DGCR to chime in on that
maybe stick it in your review if you found an amazing place close to the course...

we have italian beef sammiches too... I tried to get some out of towners into it but they couldn't get down with a wet sammich... even though it is amazing dipped and with giardinieria (did I get enough "i" in that? :p)

hmmm horseshoe

Had a killer Italian Beef sandwich when I was in Wisconsin recently. The rest of my party thought it was weird that my sandwich was wet when it showed up, I just couldn't stop cramming it down my food hole.

Latest posts