• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sword Help!

Disc_Golf

I picked up the Westside Sword at the beginning of the season as I loved the way the disc fit into my hand. Completely committed to the disc, I picked up a total of 7 swords (2 VIP, 4 TP, and 1 blend "glopto" - all ranging from 170-175g) for field work. But the only thing I have found from this disc is I cannot trust it enough to put it in the bag. With very little wind, I find this thing gets squirly. I have been throwing the swords both flat and on hyzer in nearly all conditions, but either way, I cannot find any consistency to the disc.

RHBH the discs will sometimes flip and kinda come back, turn and burn, or finish super stable. All thrown and released relatively the same.

I am trying to chalk up my issue to technique, but I cannot figure out how to throw this thing. In the past, I have have found consistency and even accuracy with Destroyers pushing them out to 395' +/-, but have always thought the rim was a hair too big for me and kind of uncomfortable.

I know there are a few Sword threads, but they are a tad dated and I wanted a fresher perspective.

Am I the only one having inconsistency issues with the Sword?

Please help!

westside discs reward clean form, if you're turn and burning anything you have form issues period.

westside discs reward clean form, if you're turn and burning anything you have form issues period.

This is probably true, but I absolutely love the Underworld, and have had good luck with the warship when I pull it out.

I think the problem is probably more a disc speed issue. The trespass is easier to throw than it's speed, while the sword probably is rated accurately on speed, and therefore a little touchy to form/speed issues.

It anny flexes really nice, though.

I also have since seen Swords leave my bag, but I can tell you one thing for sure... I too, experimented with trying to hyzer it, and when I released it on a hyzer, is where I had pretty much all of my problems.

Even if you think because of wind or the shot, whenever you release the disc hyzer, awkward flights & lines starts to happen.

I hate to be one of those "Lat64/Westside/Dynamic" discs reward really clean form guys, but it seems the sword just wants a nice, flat release (even if your form sucks, just pull it hard and flat as you can), because even if you have a perfect form hyzer, it still might do something unusual on you.

I say, that if you have that many Swords, you should just stick with the disc, and get it to work for you. Feel the wind, and if it's a coming straight at you headwind, only throw your 175g VIP sword(s), if you have a tasty tailwind, go for lighter swords, or swords in Tournament.

I have only been working on form and distance with the sword in the fields and the basket pushed out 400'

I do however find myself slowing down my routine and getting some stable accuracy with the sword but only pushing distances that I can hit all day with my Teebirds. I am looking for the max d when my teebirds aren't likely to hit the needed distance, but I cannot seam to find it in with the sword.

I am not giving up on the disc, as I do have a stack and I love the way the thing feels too much.

I disagree with discblaster. I believe the sword needs a smooth hyzer release or else it will turn and burn with a vengeance! I do agree however with the OP about it's finicky nature. Its loves to hold the anny when you want it to go straight and it goes straight when you want it to anny. Even with that said, I'll take your sword stack off your hands if it comes to it because like the OP, the thing feels great in the hand.

im laughin over here, swords are quite stable. as in, should never turn and burn stable.

might be time to take a break from the double digit discs bros.

I think you may need to trade your lightest Sword to me so I can finally try one of these. :\

(preferably VIP)
(preferably bright color)

I've been using an Opto Saint and can kind of relate to the "loves clean form" issue. If I don't rip with at least a little hyzer there is no telling when my Saint will fade back. But boy is it pretty to watch when you do it right.

im laughin over here, swords are quite stable. as in, should never turn and burn stable.

That's pretty much my experience too.

Though I will say, the Tournament ones, especially in the 160-169gram scale get slapped out of the air by a strong wind like a little bitch. (maybe that's what people mean by turning and burning)

But I disagree with nolan, unless you're only throwing the sword 200 feet or something, don't take a break from double digit discs, just keep at them and learn how to master them.

New enough to the game (only 2 years under my belt) that my sweet zone is in the single digit discs. But I have nearly hit the ceiling on their potential for distance (out of me at least for the time being). I have no problem getting accurate 360' with my Teebirds. I know there are those that can push out the fairways to 500+, but that's not me, yet. I am looking to not have to muscle out a disc and just let it do its thing.

So, again, I am hoping that the sword can replace the destroyer, as it fits better in my hand.

As to westside rewarding form, I get that, and even eluded to that in the OP as I was chalking up my issues to technique. But I am more or less trying to see if I might wanna stick to the field work with the Sword and fit another more forgiving "double digit disc" in my bag when the Teebird might not be enough.

Tried a trespass yet? A flat lucid or biofusion/fusion might get you some big d and be more accurate for you.

Tried a trespass yet? A flat lucid or biofusion/fusion might get you some big d and be more accurate for you.

I have not. Being the second vote for the Trespass, I will look to toss a friends as I believe there are a few floating around my circle.

I have a vip 167 sword and it flies way os for me. Hyzers off to the left RHBH every time. My form? Maybe, but I have a blizzard boss that I can throw perfectly flat and far every time, so I just don't use the sword!

I love swords! Trespasses just didn't do it for me. I've been throwing 3 TP swords these days. I've beaten a purple one of em to be really flippy. I have to release it on some pretty hard hyzer but it flips up to flat, turns an little then fades back further than anything else I have. My fresh gold one is very overstable though and my slightly seasoned orange one is a laser beam. Perhaps the colors have something to do with stability?

I think you should consider a Tern as well. I picked up a star Tern and it flies like my light beat TP Sword did.

Exactly what I was hoping for.

In my experience, Swords fly very predictably, but each Sword may do something a little different from the others.

I have one that is very understable, one that has a little turn to it and a nice, stable finish, and one that is a tick more stable than that.

Great disc with a great feel. I am concerned about replacing my understable one, though, if I lose it.

Perhaps the colors have something to do with stability?

In my experience, Swords fly very predictably, but each Sword may do something a little different from the others.

I have heard the colors on the Swords make difference, but I have been trying to block that thought out as I didn't think it could make that big of a difference. But I think I will try focusing on each specific discs flight pattern rather than grouping all of them in together and expecting nearly identical flight patterns.

I think you should consider a Tern as well.

I have looked at the Terns, but was discouraged when I read that they need a bit of room to work and I play mostly wooded courses. How do the Terns fly on tighter, low lines?