• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Sword Help!

I think they excel on wooded courses. It glides really well so that helps a lot in tight fairways. If you get a jolly launcher and a star then you will have a lot of shots covered. Jolly launcher might do better in the woods, its quite a bit more stable.

I don't have consistency problems. Try to release the sword flat. Think of the sword as a long range Striker... It'll do pretty much what ever you tell it to do. So watch your form. Also, if you want to manipulate your throw just use a trespass or riot. Depending on the distance you want to throw.

I only have one sword. It is a bit overstable in the VIP plastic I got it in. I use it on flicks much better than on backhand throws. On a good flick it just flies straight as an arrow. If released flat on a backhand throw it has a noticeable gliding fade to the left out. Almost a meathook fade. This isn't just me throwing it either. It also likes to pop up on me with any little bit of wind. I have seen it go from level release height at my chest, fly straight for about 40 feet, and then a little wind makes it step straight up. Literally looks like it is climbing stairs when it is doing it as the nose doesn't rise up. Ive seen it climb really high when it does this. None of my other discs ever do this at all. That climbing behavior has been useful though in some situations, and less than useful in others.

Today I went out and focused on my release with the two 172g VIPs and found the consistency but I cannot seam to get the distance I was wanting. To compare, I was also throwing my Teebirds and hitting my normal 360'ish but the sword was only getting... maybe 15' more? Am I just asking too much out of either the disc or my throw? Is 15' a big enough gain and I should be happy with the results?

On a side note, I did get my hands on a friends Trespass in Lucid (Red First Run) and the thing felt like a nice stable destroyer. Fun disc, just not the glove feeling I get from the sword, but not out of the running for my bag yet.

Latest posts