• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Talk to me about a Roadrunner

bcr123psu

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I need a new understable distance driver. I'm thinking about getting a Roadrunner as a more understable replacement for my dearly departed Sidewinders (RIP).

Pros? Cons? Give me an earful.

I have found the Roadrunner more controllable. Sidewinder is easier for me to sedn sailing about 100 too far to the right.

You should also consider a Vision by Latitude64. There are a few threads on here citing its virtues.

Nifty, but usually I use a beat in Valk or a TL for those shots, depending on the course. Good rollers though. I have a buddy that only flicks RRs, it's the only disc he drives with and that's what he does, wild, all over the fairway hyzer flips.

I really like the Roadrunner, the Champion is very flippy when played with for a while, the star is much straighter and will not hold an anhyzer line as well. I think that if I was to use it has a driver I would have to throw it lightly so it wouldn't turn over. I don't know how you threw the sidewinder, but if you liked that and felt like you were growing out of it, I really recommend a monarch.

I have a Star Roadrunner that I have had for over 2 years, and I love it. The more beat it becomes the better it turns over and flies great for me.

My Red Bull disc is a Star Roadrunner. Very straight, easy to throw GOLF shots, i.e. put it on a tight fairway with less effort, straight and long with a 75% drive and little if no fade.
A great switch from the sidewinder. In fact, that's what I did. I had a dx sidewinder, wanted to jump up, got the Star RR, and never looked back.

I got one for my brother, who is a righty forehand guy. (The Jager disc) He has a real problem with fade, so this is great for him. It goes straight forever, and he barely gets it three feet off the ground. A real worm-burner!

I literally just walked in from throwing a round, and used this as my driver on the final hole at Timmons. I'm a lefty backhand thrower, creek is to the right. I want to throw straight and long, but don't want to fade right into the creek. Perfect for this! Scored a 2.

picture.php
picture.php

I should also say that the flight hasn't changed much for me either, two years in. It's already understable out of the box, so no surprise there.

i use a roadrunner as a roller and i love it, its very predictable. i used to use it for RHBH anny shots and it worked well for that too. if you wanna try one out i have an extra sitting around. its a light blue 174.5g champ roadrunner w/ a shiny silver stamp that has been used once or twice but is easily 9/10 condition, hardly any marks or anything that i would be willing to part with. here is a pic, PM me if you are interested...
DSC06215.jpg

Talk to you about the Roadrunner? How about a joke:

The Roadrunner was feeling very amorous one day, and since there were no other female roadrunners around, he decided to look around.

He happened to spot a lovely dove. Bzzzzzz... down he goes and feathers are flying, lots of dust in the air and the dazed dove is lying there with a smile and says, "I'm a dove and I've been loved!"

The Roadrunner is still not satisfied. He spots a Lark flying around and zooms down on her. Again, feathers are flying around and dust is in the air and the dazed Lark is lying there and said, "I'm a Lark and I've been sparked"

The Roadrunner is still not satisfied and spots a Duck. He zooms down and again feathers are flying and a lot of squawkings and dust flying in the air, and the roadrunner takes off.

The Duck is lying there really pissed off, and says "I'm a Drake and there's been a mistake!"

I have found the Roadrunner more controllable. Sidewinder is easier for me to sedn sailing about 100 too far to the right.

You should also consider a Vision by Latitude64. There are a few threads on here citing its virtues.

GOO Vision! YEAHH!

Its the best understable disc ive ever thrown.

I throw Roadrunners for anhyzer shots outside the distance of my leopard. I'd give one a shot, i was surprised at my consistency with it. It's now a go to disc in my bag.

I use the RR as my main anhyzer disc for distance. It also works great for rollers.

A star Roadrunner is my go to driver for long turnover shots and hyzer flips. If you have a good touch with your hyzer flips it will do practically anything. from almost flipping up and making that extra long slight hyzer to Flipping up and going long and straight to Flipping up and turning right without fading back left. If you aquire the touch it is amazing. I also use it for rollers.

I am a Roadrunner fan. Three in my bag alone. I also throw two Sidewinders and find the RR more consistant and better on distance.

I throw Roadrunners for anhyzer shots outside the distance of my leopard. I'd give one a shot, i was surprised at my consistency with it. It's now a go to disc in my bag.

This ^ and

A star Roadrunner is my go to driver for long turnover shots and hyzer flips. If you have a good touch with your hyzer flips it will do practically anything. from almost flipping up and making that extra long slight hyzer to Flipping up and going long and straight to Flipping up and turning right without fading back left. If you aquire the touch it is amazing. I also use it for rollers.

This^____ The Runner is beyond a doubt the most fun disc for me to throw. What kirven said about finding the touch is a lot of the fun of this disc. Its very sensitive to power and release angle. Once you get into that exploratory zone with the Roadrunner all sorts of of left to right (RHBH) lines emerge. It helps me find the "sleeve" on windy days...that space in a wind thats neither too low to get knocked down or too high to sail. I have one in Champion and one in Star. The champ ( as someone above mentioned) flips and runs out right easier. The Star more prone to stalling out and fading back to the left. Along with release angle adjustments, I vary my search for the right touch by increasing or decreasing the speed of my xstep. And, cuz its not superfast, even my noodle arm can get it to cruise speed and fly a runner 350.

I love my roadrunner. It's a champion and it's my main driver. Even on those straight holes. It has started to turn on me though. I used to be able to throw it perfectly straight, but now it has a little turn in it. I had a dream last night that I got an ace with it. And I haven't gotten an ace before. Hopefully it will come true.
Oh and p.s. don't throw it into the wind. It will dive bomb.