• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tampa / Clearwater — road trip report & my course rankings

McCready

Eagle Member
Just returned from an epic trip over the holidays and played 11 courses in 8 days. Thought I'd share the experience here and my tiered rankings of the area courses. Please note my tiers are my own personal preferences only — I favor moderately wooded courses and I include physical aesthetics (to a certain extent) along with the challenge & playability merits. That said, my rankings are probably not far off from the consensus anyway (with the possible exception of Oldsmar which I didn't like).

Note: Already played Cliff Stephens, Coachman & Cypress Point on a previous trip, and I still need to check off a few like Medard, Holloway and Hidden Oaks when I go back. And maybe Floral Park which is a longer drive, then maybe some around Sarasota.....:D

Saturday: Youth Park, Taylor Park
Sunday: 22nd St., Azalea Park
Monday: Tocobaga
Tuesday: Oldsmar, Hammock Park
Wednesday: Showmen's
Thursday: Picnic Island
Friday: Limona
Saturday: Trinity College

So my rankings thus far:
Top tier (best of the best): Cliff Stephens, Coachman, Picnic Island, Taylor Park, 22nd St., Showmen's
Middle Tier (good, not great): Cypress Point, Limona, Tocobaga, Youth Park, Trinity
Bottom Tier (never again): Oldsmar, Hammock Park, Azalea Park

A lot of these impressions surprised me based on reviews I had read. I thought 22nd St. was fantastic even though it's a double loop with only 9 baskets. And Taylor Park was a blast and a nice setting (and packed with rec level players too FYI). Showmen's just cracks the top tier because of the uniqueness with the carnival theme but it definitely has good variety and challenge too. Cypress Point and Limona are just good, solid courses though maybe a bit monotonous. Tocobaga was ridiculously crowded and not well designed in many places (roads & paths in the way, bad fairways). Oldsmar is just not fun. Some really long and narrow fairways with heavy rough, then some really boring holes across open fields. I've played a lot worse but I expected more.

Overall it's my top disc golf destination by far and I can't wait until March when we'll be back. It's crazy how the scene has exploded since I was there last March. I like getting to the popular courses right at sunrise because I play fast and they fill up quickly.

PKOKWjp_d.webp

These cranes at Showmen's were there for the whole round and just chilled as I walked right up to them. They mate for life, and these two were inseparable. As if Florida wasn't awesome enough for disc golf, there's wildlife like this everywhere.

What did you not like about Oldsmar?

Oldsmar is just not fun. Some really long and narrow fairways with heavy rough, then some really boring holes across open fields. I've played a lot worse but I expected more.

Again, just my opinion based on courses I enjoy playing. I don't think it's a "bad" course per se, as in poorly maintained or lack of navigation. I don't like having to power down with mids & putters to avoid losing a disc in the jungle/water and play for par. I can hit tight gaps with a driver pretty well, and I can scramble if I miss my line. I like to throw drivers at full power. The back 9 had plenty of that, but a lot of the holes are monotonous.

I just moved here last year, and I think you nailed the rankings. Nice work!

I played Holloway last summer (probably August), and it was seriously one of the most miserable rounds I have played in my life. Soggy/muddy spots, riddled with mosquitoes, sweltering heat and humidity so severe I had a non-stop drip from my nose if leaned over! I swore not to go back until better conditions.

Just went back a couple weeks ago with ideal weather ... 70, sunny, and little wind. I have to say this is probably the best championship layout in the entire bay area (Haven't played TDTM yet as I just moved here last year). It really has a complete test of your game: open holes, left and right shots, woods, elevation, par 4s/5s. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much that I played it twice. Cliff & Picnic are probably my two faves in the area and I think are more scenic, but Holloway is better from a challenge perspective.

I also played Hidden Oaks and was disappointed. Maybe I expected too much coming from Holloway, but it felt like a pitch and putt course, like I could shoot close to my full bag score with just some mids and putters.

I just moved here last year, and I think you nailed the rankings. Nice work!

I played Holloway last summer (probably August), and it was seriously one of the most miserable rounds I have played in my life. Soggy/muddy spots, riddled with mosquitoes, sweltering heat and humidity so severe I had a non-stop drip from my nose if leaned over! I swore not to go back until better conditions.

Just went back a couple weeks ago with ideal weather ... 70, sunny, and little wind. I have to say this is probably the best championship layout in the entire bay area (Haven't played TDTM yet as I just moved here last year). It really has a complete test of your game: open holes, left and right shots, woods, elevation, par 4s/5s. I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much that I played it twice. Cliff & Picnic are probably my two faves in the area and I think are more scenic, but Holloway is better from a challenge perspective.

I also played Hidden Oaks and was disappointed. Maybe I expected too much coming from Holloway, but it felt like a pitch and putt course, like I could shoot close to my full bag score with just some mids and putters.
Awesome, I'll keep all this in mind when I come back in March. Definitely going to play Floral Park too, and probably any others rated 4+ stars within a couple hour drive.

Latest posts