• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee pad markers

How are you wanting to physically build the markers/signs? Are you going to a marketing/sign shop to have something built? If so, something as simple as Paint would probably work. You can whip up circles for trees and curved lines for fairways real fast. Although, I really like the idea of a disc golf sign design app. Something with a grid pattern that you can just snap various shapes of different sizes to. Kind of like Mario Maker but for tee signs. Quick, someone with programming knowledge!

Here's an example of one done with Excel. You can make a screen print of the hole using Google Earth, paste it into Excel, then add Excel objects (lines, circles, squares, text boxes, etc) on top. When you're done, remove the screen print and the map for your hole should be pretty accurate. This is a simple example, but Excel can provide as much detail as you will need.

a90212a37567304187a818f2720a04e3_zpsoqhkh1zy.jpg

I used Inkscape - freeware and great for creating objects and resizing them as it's vector graphics (gimp is in raster, doesn't resize without looking pixely) Same, grab a google earth image, draw the stuff on top, then remove. I did this for a 9 hole course with it.

Attachments

• Hole 6.jpg
    Hole 6.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 68
I used Inkscape - freeware and great for creating objects and resizing them as it's vector graphics (gimp is in raster, doesn't resize without looking pixely) Same, grab a google earth image, draw the stuff on top, then remove. I did this for a 9 hole course with it.

I did it the same way with OpenOffice Draw. Vector is the way to go so your results can resize without getting grainy. Grab a screenshot from Google Earth, draw stuff on a new layer above it, and then delete the screenshot layer. You could probably do the same with Visio, but you'd have to shell out M$ for a Visio license, and Draw or Inkscape will get the job done just as well. :thmbup:

I used photoshop to make these. Put a Google Earth image down and simply painted over the different elements (trees, water, jogging paths, etc). Then I replace the basic color with a texture. Eventually the original GE image is covered up. If you have illustrator that would work as well, arguably better. But you don't have to have it in vector. Just make it a really big file and you'll be fine. Our signs are 18" x 12", so I did it at 300 dpi, or 5400 x 3600 pixels. You know what you're sign dimensions are, so make the file big enough that you never have to upscale.
9e17a5c0c5272f7c4eff668719ac4bbc.jpg

Latest posts