• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] TeeBird: Which plastic?

A year or so of consistent abuse ... maybe less if you are field throwing and putting it to work often. The beauty of the worn-in-star is that it will hold lines for a long time instead of fighting out and fading or having 'new' level Star HSS and not being able to hold a straight or left-to-right line as long. If I wanted a beaten Star Teebird I'd go for a 168-173 G* Teebird which will fly those lines easier when new.

I throw the Star and G* Teebirds; don't really care for Champ.

How long does it take before it reaches that point?

How old is that one? Has it hit a lot of trees etc.?

One year old. I used it on all my wooded shots, and it has seen a fair amount of trees. Only has some scuffs, but has definately lost some stability...it was stated earlier, and I definately agree: a perfectly beat star teebird is worth its weight in gold...which means I have 170g of gold. Lol

i would recommend you buy a leopard or something similar to throw while you are breaking in that bird

frankly given the recent options that have become available, i would say you cannot go wrong with a beefy champ, a g* and a lightly seasoned dx teebird. i could very easily play a round almost anywhere comfortably with those three discs. hell, i could do it with just the g* and the champ. the g* holds any line i want it to; just give it some anny.

OR, you could go with a beefy champ, a g* and something like an icon patriot. i haven't thrown a leopard.

i use my dx teebird for standstill fairway shots that need to go a long way downhill in tunnels but i could also use the patriot for that role and sometimes do.

if you want it to beat flippy, use the dx teebird but keep in mind that the flip is a completely different kind of flip than the patriot. it is not smooth; the wing turns down and it won't pull out if it's too steep or not high enough. it is not as forgiving.

Last edited:
I would bring the teebirds u have to the store and try to find a star or champion teebird with a low plh and a big dome.. I threw a brand new teebird with a big dome and it could be hyzer flipped and would just go straight.. so u might be able to find one that is pretty straight to slightly understable new and that would beat in a little quicker

How long for a 12x Champion teebird to get straight?

12x are along the more beefier side of teebirds. Between a new star and a Brinster. I've had mine for a year and it's still very much the same...straight for 315' without any turn on a hard rip before it starts its fade, then at about 340' fades out to finish. Not as far as my star (which I throw to 360' on the course), but super predictable, even in a headwind, after a year of use.

How long for a 12x Champion teebird to get straight?

Completely depends on the plastic as sad as it sounds. I had a 12x that was more OS than a Star Firebird even after using it for months.

If you can find a non Jolly Launcher TB it should beat in within a month or two depending on how often you play.

If you like teebirds and don't want to wait a long time for one to break in, may I suggest trying the teebirds little brother the TL. I have one in champ and one in star. Champ is 168, and flies straight with a nice forward fade, not dumpy, but forward and left. Easy to range, powers down great, and handles wind well.

The star TL I have is 166 and slightly domey. It is just straight with the most minimal fade of any of my discs. If I throw max with a lot of snap it will start moving right about 1/4 of the way into its flight. It will hold that turn to the ground landing perfectly flat.

I like my teebirds, mostly in dx. I need one in star. For now though the TL is my go to fairway.

My flippy Teebird is an old Star. It beats in perfectly, but it takes awhile. DX beat in fairly quick to flip, but they also don't hold the sweet spot as long as Star. I haven't had my GStar long enough to to say if it beats in like regular Star.

But no Teebird will really be a total turnover, no-fade disc. Even DX has fade until it goes uncontrollably flippy. Others will likely disagree with me, but they are also better players and can manipulate the disc better than I can, haha. I'd reccomend a Leopard or, better yet, an Icon Patriot for a flippy fairway.

I have a star Teebird that is amazing, but I keep a DX around for those lovely right turning shots they can do.

Star birds can take some real punishment before they flip
Haha I sure hope so because today I threw my Star TB right into a telephone pole about 30 feet off the tee. My Bird has a bit of a bend in the rim now but it seems fine otherwise.

Teebird love! I can't believe I never had a Teebird until a couple years ago. It's my go-to driver and I love the Star plastic :thmbup:

If looking for a teebird that wears in, the echo star blend moves through the cycle faster than any other premium plastic (no comment on g* longevity). Add to that, they typically have the most glide too.
Its really too bad about DX plastic, that stuff is just crap right now.

If looking for a teebird that wears in, the echo star blend moves through the cycle faster than any other premium plastic (no comment on g* longevity). Add to that, they typically have the most glide too.
Its really too bad about DX plastic, that stuff is just crap right now.

I'm not getting an echo, with my luck it's gone in a few months. I play in some really tall grass during the summer!

well you could always try a less stable driver. leopard, sidewinder, roadrunner, Valkyrie, eagle... MVP switch? lol

I'm not getting an echo, with my luck it's gone in a few months. I play in some really tall grass during the summer!

Wouldn't you lose the regular Star Teebird you're trying to beat in in the grass too then? I'm not sure what being Echo has to do with losing it. They don't only come in green.

Latest posts