• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tell me how bad I am...

I if able to a angle from the back would be prefer able but to the video ur arm is way to hit try to lower it to ur chest area and ur body falls right and that will turn ur disc over for you. If u wanna fast fix get a couple of midranges like a roc or buzz and only throw those it will teach you how to throw. Barry schultz told me that and I improved a bunch

whats overemphasized is perfect form.....I spent too much time trying to perfect the perfect flat release etc.....Problem is this shot does not really exist on many of the courses I play......I spent a full round yesterday throwing a lightweight dx leopard and trying to line shape, anhyzer, flex, hyzer, hyzer flip, slow down speed, roll it, etc....off the tee and on approaches. I think I have spent worthless hours in a field trying to get big D but there are not that many soccer field holes where I play. I guess my advice is learn to flat release and get big D but not at the detriment of other more useful shots.

also everyone is different.....I am a bigger guy with knee problems....I will never have the flexibility of the skinner guys who can get a full rotation and really uncoil a hard whip like snap.....big guys have to generate their power from other means.....just my opinion.

also everyone is different.....I am a bigger guy with knee problems....I will never have the flexibility of the skinner guys who can get a full rotation and really uncoil a hard whip like snap.....big guys have to generate their power from other means.....just my opinion.

Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, the hyzer flip is a great technique, but I don't think he's looking for that kind of advanced stuff at this point.
Hyzer flips only seem like an advanced technique because people spend all this time janking up their form trying to throw flat then have to go back and fix it all when they realize they want to throw hyzer flips instead.

Picking slower, easy to control discs and learning to throw them on all angles from the beginning will make it way easier in the long run. Hyzer flips are actaully easier to consistantly perform than flat shots, assuming you're choosing the right discs, which few people do on their own.

I agree that the high pull through and lack of shoulder rotation are big issues. This article might help both of those:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

The point of the reack back isn't to allow your arm more room to pick up speed. The point is to get your hips and shoulders primed to uncoil. Without getting your shoulders rotated away from the target you're not harnessing much, if any, power from your legs, hips or torso.

Also, it looks like you're coming into the "power zone" (from just after the right pec to the hit) with too much speed. You don't need to accelerate until after the disc gets to your right pec. It will feel weird and really late at first, but once you get it you'll be getting more distance with less effort.

Watch your body position right after the hit. Your upper body is leaning over real far. I'd slow down quite a bit and take a shorter plant step. Get more of your lower body weight over your plant foot so you don't need to lean forward like that. It will help make the rest of this stuff easier. My guess is your fast runup is how you're getting your weight forward (it's coming from momentum rather than correct body position).

Doing the drills outlined in the video sidewinder22 posted. It will take some time and you won't see extra D right away, but once you get good at all of it you'll be getting more controlled D and more accuracy with less effort. Your run up is probably twice as fast as it needs to be and there's a lot of movement that's not really contributing to your power.

Your pivot is good. Remember the feel of that. You just need to find a more effective way to get to that point. Dispite all the shortcomings we listed you have a solid foundation on which to build. It will take some work but throwing slower drivers, mids and putters will help speed it up a lot. It's much easier to feel the hit and improve snap with them than faster drivers.

Hyzer flips only seem like an advanced technique because people spend all this time janking up their form trying to throw flat then have to go back and fix it all when they realize they want to throw hyzer flips instead.

Yup...learned that one the hard way...:wall:

Picking slower, easy to control discs and learning to throw them on all angles from the beginning will make it way easier in the long run. Hyzer flips are actaully easier to consistantly perform than flat shots, assuming you're choosing the right discs, which few people do on their own...

...throwing slower drivers, mids and putters will help speed it up a lot. It's much easier to feel the hit and improve snap with them than faster drivers.

Best advice I ever got...My Gazelles are going as far as my Valks and Starfires did 3 months ago...with more consistency.:)

Oh, and Suprnva, I don't think you're all that bad...thanks for posting the vid and taking all the critiquing...I learned alot just by watching and then reading the feedback.

You are 1 bad mother SHUT YO MOUTH:D

Just kiddin', follow the advice already posted, and keep practicing!

Picking slower, easy to control discs and learning to throw them on all angles from the beginning will make it way easier in the long run. Hyzer flips are actaully easier to consistantly perform than flat shots, assuming you're choosing the right discs, which few people do on their own.

I agree that the high pull through and lack of shoulder rotation are big issues. This article might help both of those:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/telegraphing.shtml

The point of the reack back isn't to allow your arm more room to pick up speed. The point is to get your hips and shoulders primed to uncoil. Without getting your shoulders rotated away from the target you're not harnessing much, if any, power from your legs, hips or torso.

Also, it looks like you're coming into the "power zone" (from just after the right pec to the hit) with too much speed. You don't need to accelerate until after the disc gets to your right pec. It will feel weird and really late at first, but once you get it you'll be getting more distance with less effort.

Watch your body position right after the hit. Your upper body is leaning over real far. I'd slow down quite a bit and take a shorter plant step. Get more of your lower body weight over your plant foot so you don't need to lean forward like that. It will help make the rest of this stuff easier. My guess is your fast runup is how you're getting your weight forward (it's coming from momentum rather than correct body position).

Doing the drills outlined in the video sidewinder22 posted. It will take some time and you won't see extra D right away, but once you get good at all of it you'll be getting more controlled D and more accuracy with less effort. Your run up is probably twice as fast as it needs to be and there's a lot of movement that's not really contributing to your power.

Your pivot is good. Remember the feel of that. You just need to find a more effective way to get to that point. Dispite all the shortcomings we listed you have a solid foundation on which to build. It will take some work but throwing slower drivers, mids and putters will help speed it up a lot. It's much easier to feel the hit and improve snap with them than faster drivers.

Great advice, thanks!

To tell the truth I think moving away from an x step would work better. If you really did only just start this year(according to your profile). I started doing run ups now i only take one step forward and have been for a while. I still get very decent drives likely with better accuracy.

You actually dont look that bad, other than what others have mentioned with how high you bring the disc back, which looks like how you are getting your reach back. Get it lower, but you will also have to reach back a little further down low like that, and that will cause you to get a little more uncoiling.

Really not bad for how long you been playing.