• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Bag of Brodysseus (Spring 2014)

Brodysseus

* Ace Member *
Well, spring is starting to roll in (sort of) and it's time for me to start tweaking the bag again. My fiancee surprised me with a Grip A series for Christmas, so I have plenty of room in it. By the end of last year I was throwing an all Vibram bag but it's time to give some other companies a chance. This year I decided to bring back some molds I liked in the past and give them another shot. I'm starting with a ton of discs and am going to whittle them down over the spring on the course and with help from all of you helpful folks.

Vitals-
Experience: 3-4 years (very casual), 2 Years (serious)

Throwing Style: RHBH dominant, RHFH is getting better and I now trust it off the tee when it's called for, some overhand/flick rollers for recovery/utility, and am slowly working a backhand distance roller into my game

Sex: Male

Injuries: Previous back injuries, doesn't affect game, just easy for me to tighten up

Proficiencies: Baseball, Hockey, Ball Golf

Goals: Building a bag not based solely on brand loyalty, that covers all the shots I need without having too many molds (I am not going to be as strict on mold minimalism as I have been before), and maybe trying to move away from high speed discs I don't have arm for.

The Bag:(* denotes a disc that is en route to me, just added to the bag, or only been in the bag for the last few weeks)
Distance Drivers:(Avg. Distance: 300 BH, 225 FH/Max: 350 BH, 300 FH)
Star Destroyer (170g)- Forehand distance, skip shots
Medium O-Lace (173g)- Forehand distance, headwind distance (FH/BH)
Medium Lace (174g)- Distance hyzer and flexes
Medium Proto-Lace (170g)- Flippy prototype Lace. Max Distance, hyzer flips, tailwind drives, rollers I want to touch down after a longer flight
*Medium unLace (175g)- Tailwind distance, hyzer flips, turnovers, rollers
Medium Proto-unLace (163g)- Super flippy. Massive tailwind drives and main roller disc

Fairway Drivers: (Avg: 250 BH, 200 FH/Max: 300 BH, 250 FH)
Glow Ascent (175g)- Beefy! Overstable fairway. Headwind drives (BH and FH)
Firm Ascent (174g)- Main FH fairway. Slightly OS, straight with fade shots (BH and FH), flex shots.
Medium Ascent (169g)- This guy has been in my bag for two years now and has been pretty abused. It's been beat into neutral range, which really means it doesn't get much use as I have other discs that do that job and go farther. Still, I like having it in the bag as all three aces I have ever hit have been with this disc.
*Medium Trak (175g)- Stable driver.
Medium Trak (170g)- Stable driver, tiny bit of turn to it which adds a pinch of distance and let's me throw from the hyzer release I prefer.
Firm Trak (159g)- This disc is interesting. Has great high speed stability, has a predictable late fade, and still can ride a tailwind like crazy. It's like a nicely seasoned dx freebies that refuses to leave the sweet spot.
*Star TL (163g) x4- Neutral to turnover hopefully. I used to bag 170+ Star TLs and I could bomb them, but they were always a little more stable than I expected (great HSS but more fade than I wanted). So I picked up a stack in a lighter weight hoping they'd have less fade and maybe be even longer.

Midranges: (Avg: 200 BH, ??? FH/Max: 250 BH, ??? FH)
Glow Ibex (178g)- Straight with very healthy fade. Holds up surprisingly well in a mild to semi-strong headwind.
Medium Ibex (171g)- Straight, a little fade, holds an anny well
*Star Shark (179g)- Straight with fade
*DX Shark (170g) x2- Neutral, trying to beat them to turnover

Putters: (Avg: 150 BH, 125 FH/Max: 200 BH, 175 FH)
*Medium VP (175)- Overstable approach, hit and stick shots, flicks
Firm VP (173g)- Primary approach disc (BH and FH), skip shots, flick rollers, upside down skip shots (pancake shot?)
*Organic Wizard (175g) x3- I loved driving HPP Wizards and even putting with them, but just never felt right in the HPP plastic. Decided to give these a shot at putting duties too.
Firm Sole (172g) x2- Primary putter. Decent for driving, decent for approaches.

Discs I'm Considering:
S-Line PDs- Seem to be similar in stability to my O-Lace but more my speed
Star Valkyries- I love Valkyries. They're long and controllable. I'm going to wait to see how the TLs work out and what I do with my other distance drivers (and when I have more in my disc budget!). I have no idea why I took these out of the bag and I definitely am upset I sold my stash off last year.
Star Gator/ESP Zone- I want an OS mid. I liked (not loved) Gators for this slot. I've always wanted to try Zones, but I'm thinking there would be quite a bit of overlap with my GPs.
Overstable Fairway- The Ascent lacks just a tiny bit of beef I'd like for the OS slot of my fairways.
Eagle-Xs- Same thing as the last one. The Ascent is good at a lot of things, but not necessarily great them. In the end, Ascents will probably stay in the bag, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't face some competition.

Wow... lot of text.
If you read it all, thank you! Obviously, a lot of this will be decided as I throw more this spring. However, any and all feedback would be very appreciated!

I can't believe you got rid of the Innova valks, tbirds, rocs and that red pa aviar.

You know innova is still best. Hit me up for a round and I will give you a zone to try, you can throw my mf gator but you can't have it

April Bag Update:
With my sanctioned season starting on the 19th, I decided to trim my bag back to my trusty Vibrams. Still testing some discs, but just throwing the discs I am really comfortable with for my first few (at least) sanctioned tournaments.

Distance Drivers:
O-Lace x1 (173 Medium)
Lace x2 (174 Medium, 170 Flippy Proto)
unLace x2 (175 Medium, 163 Proto)

Fairway Drivers:
Ascent x3 (175 Glow, 174 Firm, 169 Medium)
Trak x2 (173 Medium, 159 Firm)

Midranges:
Ibex x2 (177 Glow, 171 Medium)

Putters:
VP x2 (175 Medium, 173 Firm)
Summit x1 (171 Firm)
Sole x3 (175 Glow, 170 Firm x2)

Testing:
Tsunami x1 (175 Proline)
Avenger x4 (173 Z, 174 FLX, 173 FLX, 171 X)
TL x3 (163 Star x3)
Suspect x2 (175 Biofuzion x2)
Shark x3 (179 Star, 171 DX, 170 DX)
Wizard x3 (175 Organic x3)

Here's the test bag I'm rolling with for my casual rounds this week.

Distance:
Avenger x3 (174 FLX, 173 FLX, 171 X)
unLace x3 (174 Medium, 169 Flippy Lace Proto, 163 Proto)
Fairway:
Ascent x2 (175 Glow, 174 Firm)
TL x2 (163 Star x2)
Midrange:
Suspect x2 (175 Bio x2)
Ibex x2 (177 Glow, 171 Medium)
Putter:
VP x2 (175 Medium, 173 Firm)
Wizard x2 (175 Organic x2)

So I am rolling with my all Vibram bag for my first sanctioned tourney this weekend.
O-lace
Lace
UnLace
Ascent x3
Trak
Ibex x2
VP x2
Summit
Sole x2

But I picked up some discs, been testing others, hitting the field with all my discs, and here's the test bag I'm going to start working with next week.

Avenger x3 (174FLX, 173FLX, 171X)
PD x1 (175P, gonna try and pick up a 175 S this weekend)
Valkyrie x1 (175Gstar)
Teebird x2 (175GStar, 171GStar)
TL x3 (175Star, 163Star x2)
Suspect x2 (175Bio, 174Bio)
Shark x3 (179Star, 170DX x2, might pick up a max weight GStar)
Wizard x3 (175OG x3)

After a month+ of testing and tweaking, I'm finally going to rock a mixed bag at a sanctioned tournament this weekend.

-Distance (4)
O-Lace x1 (174M)- OS distance
Lace x2 (174M, 174P)- Medium; stable distance/ Flippy Proto; Rollers
unLace x1 (174M)- Max D, tailwinds, also working as a great hyzer flip line shaper

-Fairway (6)
Avenger x2 (174FLX, 173FLX)- Beefy!
Teebird x4 (175G*, 171G*, 175DX x2)- A range from straight with fade, stable, neutral, soon will have a beat understable

-Midrange (6)
Suspect x2 (175Bio, 174Bio)- Headwinds, approaches out of VP range, rides a great fading hyzer line
Roc x2 (176KCGlow, 175KCGlow)- Stable
Comet x2 (178X, 176X)- Neutral, glidey, accurate Comet glory

-PnA (6)
VP x2 (175M, 173F)- OS Approach disc, all sorts of recovery/utility use
Summit x1 (174M)- US Approach, finesse/touch shots, hyzer flips, turnovers
Wizard x3 (175OG x3)- Primary Putter, putting and driving.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or critiques are welcome!

Well I am feeling like my distance drivers are becoming a crutch/causing me to go for it where I should be managing the hole. Plus I know they are too much disc for me, except for maybe my unLaces. So here's what I might be rolling with:

Ascent x2
175 Glow- Beefy, retooled mold
174 Firm- Worn in a little, turns but still has a great fade.
Teebird x4
175 G*- Flies like a fresh DX and has for a month or so.
175 Glow DX- Stable, great fade
175 DX- Stable
175 DX- Neutral, starting to develop the late turn of a beat dx but won't be there for a little while
Roc x2
180 G* Roc3- Stable, good fade. Still think I prefer Rocs to Roc3s though.
176 KC Glow- Stable
Comet x2
178 X- Neutral, glidey goodness
176 X- Still the same as above, but I'm putting a lot of throws on this disc to beat it into true US.
VP x2
175 Medium- Fresh beefcake
173 Firm- After 2 years of use this baby is still OS, but the flight plate has beat into a sunken top which feels great, holds longer before it fades, doesn't drop from the sky as quick, and I like the firm for skips, flick rollers and all sorts of neat recovery shots.
Wizard x3
175 OG x3- Putts, approaches, drives

A few notes/questions:
-Not sure how long I'm going to keep the Lacelets out of the bag. I'm going to put in a few weeks to a month of rounds and pay attention to the differences my scoring. If this experiment doesn't shave a few strokes on average like I expect/hope, the Lacelets will be going back in the bag for sure.
-Should I keep my unLaces in the bag for US duties? I feel like since its so US that I get a proper flight out of it without form issues or forcing it on a line like my O-Lace or Laces. But it is a wide rim, so...
-I think my Glow Ascent should be fine as a headwind driver. If not, my FLX Avengers (beef!) are going back in the bag. Or should I just stick my beefiest in the bag right now?
-I like g* but I am not sold on the Roc3. Probably going to pick up a couple of KC pro Rocs and stick those in instead.
-Anything else I need in the bag? Any overlap? Is this even a worthwhile experiment?

I'll be curious to hear what your verdict is. I'm a low power player by DGCR super-stud standards: I get my fairways out to 325ish regularly, and can push them beyond that on S curve shots, and the addition of Laces to my bag a few months ago has been a huge boon. I can get them out to 350'-375', but it's not just the added distance that I benefit from: there are certain kind of shots that I can only comfortably make with DDs. Long low ceiling shots and situations where I need to clear an obstacle far down a fairway are two such examples. They fly better for me on shots that need to be thrown high than fairways do. So, I think DDs are about more than just distance.

Personally I don't see any possible harm in throwing the unLace. They're uber-understable, so they aren't going to cause any form issues whatsoever. I toy with putting one back in the bag for rollers: I could get them past 400' easily on roller shots.

I haven't thrown glow Ascents so I don't know how they handle wind, but I do know in windy New Orleans I couldn't get away with not having a true beef disc in the bag like my Resistor.