• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting Better

Here are three from today. Nothing big. My color doesn't seem to pop off like I want it to. So here are my dye's and a question.

3 Dye's by CJ's Camera, on Flickr

Why do people add the drop of soap, or acetone to the dye mix?

I add the drop of soap cause it acts like an emulsifier gives it just a bit of body and allows it to hold to the disc.. I've gotten into the habit.
Acetone is redundant in small quantities diluted with water, it is a very "hot" (high evaporation) solvent, if you pour some on your hands it will almost always feel cold as it evaporates at a really rapid rate. I use it to make my lacquers dry faster when I paint, actually cheap lacquer thinner has a high acetone percentage. My feeling is even if it does mix with water it won't really "bind" it'll simply float to the top and evaporate. Acetone is good for paint dyeing, and even then I still have to put the disc in a container with damp paper towel overnight at least, for the dye to take fully.

Last edited:
8 new Dyes

Me and my buddy dyed 8 new one's tonight. 2 for his wife a champ Roadrunner with a roadrunner on it, a Latitude 64 River with a Mermaid. 2 for him, a Havoc with a ACE stamp, and HALO with a King Leonitis stamp. then 4 for me, an APE with a stamp of ERR, NUKE with a Tie Fighter, Wraith with a TonyStark/IronMan face, and a AVENGER with Barney Stinsin/NPH (He cut this one out for me. steadier hands)

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 140
Thanks

First off i want to start off my first post by saying Hi and i have been surfing thru here for awhile and learning alot from all of you. With that being said I decided to tackle my first dye last night. I used an ace race disc from last year. It went alright i think for my first one.

Attachments

• Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    Picture 006 (Small).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 90
Sweet!

First off i want to start off my first post by saying Hi and i have been surfing thru here for awhile and learning alot from all of you. With that being said I decided to tackle my first dye last night. I used an ace race disc from last year. It went alright i think for my first one.

That is cool...I like the design!

You guys are awesome... If i weren't so poor I would send some disc to some of you for some awesome dyes... Keep up the great work!

Nice first disc Rusty and welcome to DGCR! As for borrowing, we all do it. When I do I always try to make it different by adding something of my own to it. Like what you did with the marbling, nice job!

NKlassy that's a nice batch of dyes, luv the NPH. Chris, the Pileated is a pleasant surprise, I'm looking at a Kestrel design and think birds don't get near enough attention! And Display, the Lady Deathstrike roks, hot women always get plenty of attention:D

Thanks i have "borrowed" some different ideas from disc i have seen on here. I hope no one minds.

I think all of us learn from others and use their ideas and techniques, we even share vectors and sites where to get good ideas, info etc.. if we didn't want to share I doubt we'd put it on the internet. No one is going to mind, and if they do, they can get over it. :D

Thanks i have "borrowed" some different ideas from disc i have seen on here. I hope no one minds.

We only mind if you borrow and don't share, or do something awesome and don't tell the rest of us! Keep up with it, you'll get hooked if youre not already.

Vcadd,
The course map is a cool idea.
That would make a good prize disc for tournaments.

264383_203160926396294_100001071655062_580227_1326153_n.jpg

Comissioned TeeBird
I'm so glad I'm almost out of that 3M stuff. There will be no more of those lines! Hate those things.

here is a few i have done lately, with my new plotter, and the free 3M vinyl (as you can tell by some of the bleeds.)

Star San Marino Roc X-Out
IMG_0126.jpg

Star Mako X-Out
IMG_0125.jpg

Champ Leopard X-Out
IMG_0124.jpg

Echo Star Wraith
IMG_0127.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.