• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The first time you saw what a discs flight was suppose to be like.

cfair

* Ace Member *
I've been using Cyclones lately for transitioning from Comets and Rocs. Today during practice I noticed the flight of the disc had changed from a while ago. Before when I would use drivers they would go kinda straight, then slowly fade off. But for the last couple of weeks I watch them fly straight for 200', turn, and then fade a ways later.

I noticed it because that is what I use to do with my Comets. Hyzer flip them out but if they started to turn in my mind I would think "C'mon fade, fade, FADE." And if it started to fade I was happy, if it didn't it wouldn't come back.

The difference being that Comets did that over 300'-320. Cyclones do it over 350'-380' and it was cool to notice that I can do this. Because I feel like I can bomb now... but I know I have so far to go.

So what was it like for you the first time you felt your drive click?

when i found a forehand disc able to handle ridiculous torque and at low speeds and can be manipulated for crazy utility.

ze flick how i love thee

It's a good feeling, especially if you're one of the many who begins the sport overdisced and undertrained. It opens up a lot of doors to understanding disc flight, ratings, and power levels...or it should if you're achieving the proper flight in a proper way, I guess. I think my first calm-wind epiphany like this was with a star Valk. It's even better when you start seeing more distance from something like a Viper, Teebird, or Firebird.

It's funny the OP mentioned a Cyclone. When I started we didn't have the Cyclone yet. But I had a similar thing happen with a Discraft Shadow. I had been playing about 2 months and was finally adapting my grip into a standard 4 finger power grip. I thought I had released too early, but it had good snap and angle. I finally saw the "double helix" I had read about in disc brochures.

I've decided to take it slow in getting better. Spent a summer with putters only. Spent a summer with putters, comets, and rocs (with a little buzzz mixed in). A now I'm working drivers back into the back. And since the Cyclone was the one disc to rule them all for a while I'm going with it. It is a wonderful to learn with because I can really crank it and get some great turnover flights. Or I can throw it from a steep hyzer to get a super long hyzer flip.

I started out playing a very recreational player. I threw sidearm all the time, moved up from my Innova starter kit to a champ Sidewinder. Lost that and replaced it with a Wraith. My game was terrible.

I decided about a year ago to play for real and bought a star Sidewinder. That wasn't good for my game either and in time I realized I needed to disc down. I spent several months with nothing but Comets and Wizards (not even a Buzzz) then slowly moved up into fairway drivers. Doing fieldwork about a month ago, I decided on a whim to bring the Sidewinder out to see what happened.

The first time I threw it, it went out about 250' or so completely straight then did a pronounced s-curve ending up dead ahead of where I threw it but farther than I'd ever thrown before. It was a revelation; I learned more from that one thrown than the thousand throws that came before it.

The natural flight of a disc is a beautiful thing to behold.

When I first started, I wasn't as over-disced as many, but rather was really lacking in technique (my first 3 discs were: FLX Pred, FLX Buzzz, FLX Challenger). I never really started to understand disc flight until last fall when I began playing with a guy I work with that plays in Pro Masters. With his assistance, I managed to begin to understand the proper form as well as how to make proper disc selection for various holes. I continued this trend until I watched a video of Feldberg doing a clinic where he went in depth about distance driving. After watching this, I spent an evening on field work, and the next day discs were finally flying the way they were intended to for me. Now, a couple months later, my distance has increased beyond what I had even dreamed of reaching six months ago.

I hit 300 after 3 months but have progressed much slower since then. When I hit 350 with an Eagle on a dead straight line I felt thrilled. (can't do that consistently) But then I hit 330 with a Roc and there is nothing like seeing a slower disc like that carry forever perfectly straight.

I remember first playing and it seems that all discs I threw would fly straight up and fade into oblivion. There is a field at Rogers Lakewood that we would practice in - slowly the throws got smoother and straighter, then we started turning over some of the discs and they started doing a helix.

Never was able to reproduce that on the course until one day playing leagues on hole 10 at Rogers Lakewood. A long time ago before the trees grew to where they are now, you'd be able to see down the fairway to the basket in between the trees. Threw the perfect helix that made a magical flight around the trees on one side of the fairway came back through a clearing and around another set of trees on the other side of the fairway.

My drive on #10 at Riverbends, with my new Pro D XL. Water all along the left side so I gave it some room to the right. I actually got some snap on it, it went out, faded right slowly, then came back left on the straight line. I was WAY right of center, but I was stoked that it had taken the right flight path.

Then on my next throw I put said XL in the river...

It was a while ago but I remember throwing a Champ Beast in a tournament and it was exactly like the flight chart and I parked the hole. I won my division that year and have have the tournament blues ever since.

Sorry, I've yet to nail it the way it's supposed to be nailed. OTOH, the other night I dreaamed I drove a mid 300' uphill - it was cooooooool!!! :D

I have just started to see things click...playing around 4 days/wk for a year now, and have just recently began to see the disc make a distinct high speed turn and continue into a fade for a 400+ (and relatively straight from the box) drive. For me, it is a magical things to see/feel...quite calming and exciting at the same time. Doesn't happen as often as I like, and I look pretty foolish when I throw anticipating exactly this only to see it go straight for 300 and then fade like crazy...but I digress. Great topic/question...I usually don't care as much to read about others experiences (yeah that makes me sound like a jerk), but I read every response and am fascinated.

The first time I threw a Roc over 300 feet.

Years ago when I started playing,one of the local pros told me to throw a Roc to learn how to throw farther.I've been doing what he said for many years and just last year my 145lb. frame finally joined the 400' ft club. :thmbup:

Another one is when I hit that perfect anhyzer shot with a Stingray.I threw it flat and the disc did the rest.I miss that Stingray. :(

I still haven't seen how a Groove is supposed to fly... I was new to the sport and the owner of the shop sold me on the flight ratings. Worst purchase ever. :D

My first "real" line of a disc was totally by accident. I was throwing on the first hole of our course which i heavily wooded to the left and very open to the right. The disc was a 150 DX Leopard. It came out a little left and hyzered a little. As i sprinted down the fairway to see where it would go into the woods to track it down, it flipped over and then just carried for what seemed like 3 days. I was so amazed at how far that throw went at the time, and so surprised that it didn't go into the woods. I was extremely pumped to say the least.

I have a new one.

I threw my friends Innova Blizzard Ape and I threw that thing every bit of 430ft.It was one of the best feeling throws I have ever done.It went straight for 300ft then the last 130ft it faded left. :hfive:

I still haven't seen how a Groove is supposed to fly... I was new to the sport and the owner of the shop sold me on the flight ratings. Worst purchase ever. :D

I have one as well...I recently have gotten it broken in enough and it can sail like it is supposed to and get around 350 on it went I hit it. I found this to be a more consistent forearm thrower for me though.

Latest posts