• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Great Workhorse Mid Showdown

hopefully you get a good one. I have thrown 4 different ones (2 Japan 2 FR Star). All 4 had very different flights. 1 of the 4 I actually liked and flew like a faster Roc. They all looked similar dome wise.

i have like 6 different ones and just ordered a glow so one of them has to have a nice flight path. lol there all pretty flat but there is some slight dome on a couple.

I love my Obex/Ibex combo but I'm about to start testing an Axis, Vector, and some Comets.

I've only tweaked my "end" discs. Overstable: "Q" Sentinal (bye bye "Z" Drone), Understable: Buzzz SS (So long Cobra). Did swap out my Roc 3 for the 4x Glow Roc. Other than that, my Champ Gator and Bar stamp Buzzz will never leave my bag!
I've tried just about all of them except the really new stuff. My only regret is there is not enough room or a place for my Gremlin (not long enough) and my Spider (To Roc like). They feel and fly great. Just not right for my game.

Can you really ever have too many mid molds? :D I throw a opto fuse, gl core, star shark , and a z hornet and I still want more haha

I currently have two opto fuses (one beat for mega-turn and one relatively new for stable/understable) and one opto pain (stable/overstable spot). I also sport a Eze Pure for a point-shoot upshot disc (it will go exactly where and how you throw it... amazing). Looking for that super stable spot (drone, hornet, ???) I don't see the fuse or the pain leaving the bag anytime soon... Highly recommended... If you haven't tried either one, get into the Lat64 mids!!!

Gremlin issue

I've only tweaked my "end" discs. Overstable: "Q" Sentinal (bye bye "Z" Drone), Understable: Buzzz SS (So long Cobra). Did swap out my Roc 3 for the 4x Glow Roc. Other than that, my Champ Gator and Bar stamp Buzzz will never leave my bag!
I've tried just about all of them except the really new stuff. My only regret is there is not enough room or a place for my Gremlin (not long enough) and my Spider (To Roc like). They feel and fly great. Just not right for my game.

(I had to quote you because I rarely hear anyone who has anything nice to say about the Gremlin.):thmbup:
As far as a go-to mid, I love my Z Buzzz, and my Pain, I do most of my work with those two. However I also pack a Spider, Roc3, Gremlin, a Warship and I use a TL for long range mid duty as well.
I absolutely love my spider, I just got my first one a week ago and it is getting thrown quite a bit (I personally don't think it is Roc-like, but that's just me). My gremlin gets moved out of my bag every month or so, then I need it again and it goes right back back in the bag, it is just useful in tight situations where you need a long mid, or a short fairway.
I am looking for an under-stable mid, but I haven't found one I really like at this point.

Workhorse status already? Nice. For calm days, maybe. But I imagine it gets a bit flippy in the wind, yeah?

Lol, I'll still throw it :p Just a bigger hyzer!

Buzzzes get flippy in the wind too, what's your point? Workhorse means, you throw your most shots with and can do a lot with right? Where is the main definition for a broad term?

Lol, I'll still throw it :p Just a bigger hyzer!

Buzzzes get flippy in the wind too, what's your point? Workhorse means, you throw your most shots with and can do a lot with right? Where is the main definition for a broad term?

Oh I'm with ya. I haven't thrown the Tursas enough to see if it can compete as a workhorse. I think of a workhorse as something in the more neutral/stable slot, but that's just my personal preference. If it is understable, that is cool too. My workhorse driver (FD) is understable, and I love it.

Oh I'm with ya. I haven't thrown the Tursas enough to see if it can compete as a workhorse. I think of a workhorse as something in the more neutral/stable slot, but that's just my personal preference. If it is understable, that is cool too. My workhorse driver (FD) is understable, and I love it.

Like, if you throw it softer up in the air, you can get some hyzer routes that that glide out, then you got all kinds of different options going straight or to the right lol.

gl pain.. can take full power rips, sits hard on big spikes while being able to skip long on low liners, fade isn't exaggerated when powered down, great thumber disc, easy to transition to off of beaded mids and, shockingly, has kept my kc rocs on the shelf since december...

my only concern is whether or not this plastic is going to withstand the summer.

Eff that, TURSAS ALL DAY SON

Wow, that disc has been out for a little over a week and you've thrown it that much? Off the shelf I'm sure it's awesome, (I've got one on the way, so I hope it is) but how will it beat-in over time? I'm assuming you still hit tree's and go OB O' grand master you of the week old disc, how well has your tursas worn so far?

gl pain.. can take full power rips, sits hard on big spikes while being able to skip long on low liners, fade isn't exaggerated when powered down, great thumber disc, easy to transition to off of beaded mids and, shockingly, has kept my kc rocs on the shelf since december...

my only concern is whether or not this plastic is going to withstand the summer.

I completely agree with you.
And I swear that when it beats in, when thrown at full power it has an amazing glide to it, which has been great for alot of my low ceiling shots. I dont have a problem throwing my GL 178 Pain dead straight 280-300 or so with a limited 20 foot ceiling.
But some how seems to always go back to having that reliable fade when not at full power. I carry two of them, 178 GL beat in, and a new 177 GL currently. But as soon as I find a max weight Opto that looks good its going in the bag to replace my newer one.

I have tried alot of mids, as I am the Mid Whore of my regular group and I have always returned to my Pains.

I have tried:
Roc SM
Roc Ontario
Roc Rancho
Buzz
Ibex - probably the most similar to the Pain IMO
Warship
Core
King Cobra
Wasp
Hornet
Cro
Many of them in different plastics as well, but I found my workhourse (now hopefully the Mace in Firm I ordered doesnt give it a run out of my bag)

My compliment of rocs are handling things fine for me, but my opto Pain is beating in to a nice thrower, and fuses are taking over my turnover shots...maybe a mace for my birthday just to try;)

Banged out an Eagle on a Par 4 today because of my workhorse.

Threw the Warship on a nice line from about 145 out and glide then CHING.

Great feeling and it eased the pain from some of those missed Birdies and the couple bogeys.

I throw fuse/core/pain combo and love it but im looking forward to trying the mace and warship. From the sound of it, mace and warship might compliment the fuse/core/pain. Maybe some overlap,,wont know till i try them.

Wow, that disc has been out for a little over a week and you've thrown it that much? Off the shelf I'm sure it's awesome, (I've got one on the way, so I hope it is) but how will it beat-in over time? I'm assuming you still hit tree's and go OB O' grand master you of the week old disc, how well has your tursas worn so far?

I just like the disc a ton, it takes the lines I put it on. I hit gaps I usually don't. I can put it on a straight line, glides forever which is awesome.

Fuse. Fuse all day long.

I carry a Drone (rarely, rarely used) a buzzz, and a Fuse for my midrange duties and the Fuse is my workhorse. I can just focus on hitting my line and the shape of my shot, and that disc is so glidey and gets such easy distance that I don't have to use any force to get it long. Smooth with sound technique, and the disc will do the rest.