• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Hips

The view from below in the Follow up on the Clearing the Hips video really shows how the center of pressure between the feet moves and with the bones feature turned on you can see how the spine stays centered. Definitely great visuals for understanding this.

There's lot of great stuff here. As a former baseball player the Chris Yeager videos help a lot.

The lower body action in baseball players seems to has more similarities to a disc golf drive than differences, but there are definitely some dissimilarities. The biggest difference I notice is the extension of the front knee in the baseball swing. I've seen it recommended that disc golfers avoid doing that, mainly to avoid injury. So my question is why are disc golfers more likely to injure themselves doing this move? Baseball players do it thousands of times throughout their career yet seem to have a very low rate of injury due to that specific move.

Additionally, besides the x-step, what other differences do you see in the baseball swing from a disc golf drive? Would someone with baseball experience be making a mistake to try to duplicate the lower body action in a baseball swing?

There's lot of great stuff here. As a former baseball player the Chris Yeager videos help a lot.

The lower body action in baseball players seems to has more similarities to a disc golf drive than differences, but there are definitely some dissimilarities. The biggest difference I notice is the extension of the front knee in the baseball swing. I've seen it recommended that disc golfers avoid doing that, mainly to avoid injury. So my question is why are disc golfers more likely to injure themselves doing this move? Baseball players do it thousands of times throughout their career yet seem to have a very low rate of injury due to that specific move.

Additionally, besides the x-step, what other differences do you see in the baseball swing from a disc golf drive? Would someone with baseball experience be making a mistake to try to duplicate the lower body action in a baseball swing?
Lower body wise I think the main difference is swinging with two arms vs one arm which changes where the swing center through the body is 90 degrees. 2 arm swing - center is perpendicular to the shoulders between both arms, 1 arm swing - center is through the shoulders out the arm, so your upper arm should be much wider away from the chest/shoulders to fully release/extend away from the body. So your stance will need to turn further back to aim that wider release from your center. It would be like hitting with one arm, or throwing the bat to center field, you wouldn't keep your arm pinned back against your chest. You wouldn't try to spin the bat, you throw/leverage it's weight targetward or through the ball which creates spin/torque as byproduct.

I think the other biggest difference between batting and dg is stride length and momentum. So dg is more like pitching or throwing from outfield in this regard and knee bend. Batters aren't striding very far linearly and less likely to hyperextend the knee with it straightening or less damage.

^Yeah the two handed swing vs. one handed disc golf swing completely changes the arm angles. It feels way different throwing the disc with the throwing arm so extended/wide out in the shoulder, compared to swinging a bat. Conceptually I didn't get that for a very long time.

Also with a baseball swing, you are trying to hit the ball towards the power alley like 30 degrees inside of the foul line, but if the bat slipped you'd probably chuck it over the dugout. With a disc you are throwing the object intentionally, and 20-30 degrees closed of your stance, so that changes where you're leveraging the thing in your hand too.

I've always been surprised why nobody talks about tennis and disc golf. The form for both are identical up to the follow through.

If you want to see what proper weight transfer, hip rotation, and foot work, look up tennis videos.

I've always been surprised why nobody talks about tennis and disc golf. The form for both are identical up to the follow through.

If you want to see what proper weight transfer, hip rotation, and foot work, look up tennis videos.

Actually, there are quite a few discussions about tennis and dg in this forum. Unfortunately, if you do a general site search for "tennis" the results will be for "tennis elbow". Do a search in the Technique & Strategy Forum.

Last edited:
Lower body wise I think the main difference is swinging with two arms vs one arm which changes where the swing center through the body is 90 degrees.

Ahh there we go... and now all of a sudden the lightbulb turn on and it's super obvious. Thanks for the clarification.

So dg is more like pitching or throwing from outfield in this regard and knee bend.

Now that I'm trying it the lower body does feel a lot like throwing submarine with the left hand, which you mention in a few of your videos. Throwing submarine right handed I can feel my lower body get into a much stronger position than my RHBH. Something to reference for what the "feeling" should be when throwing RHBH I suppose.

Shawn Clement mentions in one of the videos that nobody has to be taught the stride/hip movement in an overhand throw, they just naturally do it. Makes me wonder why that's not the case with a disc golf backhand. Bad coaching maybe? Or trying to emulate what they don't understand?

Or trying to emulate what they don't understand?

This is such a big factor for disc golfers. People copying what an X-step "looks" like, and what a closed plant "looks" like. But they don't realize they are walking backwards with the disc behind them and then stepping way forward and opening up. People try to copy what they've seen pro's doing but don't try to feel what a throw should be.

Basically all of us have been guilty of this along the way.

It's also hard because like you said, it's like a lefty submarine pitch, which is not what most of us are used to. So having your righty pitch or right handed batting to reference in a mirrored perspective definitely helps.

I know when I throw RHFH I just think about the hit point/snap and the line. My balance just works, and I throw pretty hard RHFH with way less work than my backhand. Righty backhand I'm thinking about all sorts of balance and positions...I throw pretty well but my BH is still a lower level than my FH in the grand scheme of things. It goes as far or farther, but it's not as close to the highest levels of that type of throw.

Last edited:
Natural Hip Flexibility and Stance

Climo naturally stands duck footed. Feldberg naturally stands more inline. Some people are naturally pigeon toed. This is why you can't carbon copy players. You must adjust your stance for your own natural hip flexibility to allow for maximum mobility.

I recommend starting your stance just like of SC talks about in Purpose of the Hips, lift your legs one at a time and let your foot/feet hang naturally into place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Oylh4t8G8
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 5.03.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 5.03.41 PM.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,685
Climo naturally stands duck footed. Feldberg naturally stands more inline. Some people are naturally pigeon toed. This is why you can't carbon copy players. You must adjust your stance for your own natural hip flexibility to allow for maximum mobility.

I recommend starting your stance just like of SC talks about in Purpose of the Hips, lift your legs one at a time and let your foot/feet hang naturally into place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Oylh4t8G8
attachment.php

So this is what our right foot angle should be in the brace? I've been trying to have my toe pointing even or in a little.

What about our last step in the x step, left foot.

The video Bradley Walker needs to see and actually hear...

He is seeing his own vision in videos and interpreting everything to match his opinion. Nothing but hopefully time will change anything. He is/has been slowly progressing toward something closer to correct as far as I understand it. But when he gets there it will be as far as he's concerned 100% his own ideas and 100% contradictory to what anyone else teaches.

Great video.

I've been mostly sucking the past couple of months. Basically playing year 1 disc golf.

But after watching this video and going through the motions of it, I noticed that I wasn't getting deep enough forward with my left cheek (RHBH). Realized that if you don't get your rear cheek forward, you end up shifting in front, even if it's not drastic - your body has no other choice but to do this because without the proper hip depth your hips aren't going to clear properly. You'll also be forced to open up the upper body prematurely. I immediately thought of SW's buttwipe drill and realized it's the same thing and wondered why I've been beating my head against a wall for last several weeks.:doh:

Naturally, once I found the proper hip depth, I could immediately get that powerful windmill feeling again and use the legs in concert with the swing. You know the pumping of the swing, the windmill acceleration feeling when using your legs....

In addition to being balanced on the rear leg in the backswing and gaining hip depth, I also have been focusing on leaving the disc behind me longer so that I don't try and throw prematurely. When you get deep enough forward and left, your front side can clear so much easier and your better balanced on the front leg.

Had a (mostly) fantastic round last night. Cheers.

Latest posts