• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

If you sign on the line, they certainly can dictate that you not take all their current secrets with you to a competitor. It's a tough world out there...

How refined is your career that you couldn't take your skills to a different type of business?

Last edited:
I could be wrong here but I think that this employment agreement (non-compete) is illegal. You have a skill and may be hard-pressed to find employment if you ever were to leave your current employer... again, I'm not sure of the details here, but a company CAN NOT restrict you from earning a living at your trade.

The internet is a wonderful treasure trove of information regarding just about any topic, including no-compete contract language.

I could be wrong here but I think that this employment agreement (non-compete) is illegal. You have a skill and may be hard-pressed to find employment if you ever were to leave your current employer... again, I'm not sure of the details here, but a company CAN NOT restrict you from earning a living at your trade.

They certainly can and do. Legal and ethical are two entirely different things.

My trade is accounting not the actual production of the product itself. I would not have trouble finding work in any industry. I just have access to pretty much everything within the company.

Conan O'Brien's contract with NBC said he couldn't compete with them for 2 years after leaving, which explains the delay before his TBS show went on the air. This happens all the time.

Yes and no.

From JC17393's link:

Legal Requirements for Non-Competition Agreements

In order to be considered valid, a non-competition agreement must:

Be supported by consideration at the time it is signed;
Protect a legitimate business interest of the employer; and
Be reasonable in scope, geography, and time.

in other words, yes non-competes can survive a legal challenge but they won't survive it if they are too onerous for the employee in question. Simply signing something does not necessarily make it legal. There are numerous careers that are focused enough that preventing someone from continuing in it after an employment is terminated would cause significant harm to that person.

If all this is true, is she then 'unsponsored' this year? Seems quite a lot to give up money wise, instead of just playing it out. Plane tickets and travel would probably barely be paid for by winnings, and that's because she's good. If she is still under Prodigy's contract, do you think they're paying her way? Seems like that sucks for them, since she hasn't said or done anything for them.

She is sponsored by Handeye, which raises another interesting point. Handeye is really closely related to Dynamic Discs and Paige and Emac seem to be close as well.

Could they have a temporary arrangement where HE covers the DD part of the agreement until PP is free of her Prodigy contract?

PS. Before someone complains about people speculating without further knowledge, that's exactly what this thread is for. :)

She is sponsored by Handeye, which raises another interesting point. Handeye is really closely related to Dynamic Discs and Paige and Emac seem to be close as well.

Could they have a temporary arrangement where HE covers the DD part of the agreement until PP is free of her Prodigy contract?

PS. Before someone complains about people speculating without further knowledge, that's exactly what this thread is for. :)

DD could be paying her, kind of like a presigning bonus. She just can't promote them, but they can pay her all they want. This year it would really just be to earn her goodwill.

Could make sense, someone needs to pay for that travel entry fee etc. not a secret that she's been throwing some dynamic and other, but a quiet deal could be likely until she formally changes sponsors.

Could make sense, someone needs to pay for that travel entry fee etc. not a secret that she's been throwing some dynamic and other, but a quiet deal could be likely until she formally changes sponsors.

DD seams like one of the few companies that might pay a player without immediate return of that player representing the brand. They, at least from the outside, put out the image that they are more like a family than business associates. Now this could just be marketing and image management on DD's part, but even still, this quite sponsorship could go a long way to improving that image in the future when they can reap the rewards of "sponsoring" Paige this year.

I've always wondered if some of these traveling pros have wealthy parents or trust funds to draw from.

I've always wondered if some of these traveling pros have wealthy parents or trust funds to draw from.

That has to be the situation for most of them. Tour life seems like it could be brutal without some mysterious income other than tournament winnings and sponsorship $$$ :)rolleyes:).

DD seams like one of the few companies that might pay a player without immediate return of that player representing the brand. They, at least from the outside, put out the image that they are more like a family than business associates. Now this could just be marketing and image management on DD's part, but even still, this quite sponsorship could go a long way to improving that image in the future when they can reap the rewards of "sponsoring" Paige this year.

Isn't she actually related to someone at DD though?

Not that it means much anymore, but Prodigy's Instagram just posted a team roundup and included her on the list of players placing this past weekend.

It's not just the tourneys we hear about, though. Alot of these players hit up local weeklies and dubs rounds to supplement all that. For the top say 10 players in the world <male and female combined>, I'd say their deals are pretty fat and they CAN manage to live on just their earnings/sponsorship bucks.

It's not just the tourneys we hear about, though. Alot of these players hit up local weeklies and dubs rounds to supplement all that. For the top say 10 players in the world <male and female combined>, I'd say their deals are pretty fat and they CAN manage to live on just their earnings/sponsorship bucks.

What proof do you offer? My guess is it is pure speculation on your part.

It is possible but I don't know of a single one that fits that bill. I've had enough out of town golfers stay with me on tournament weekends to think that they don't use hotels as often as you think.

Latest posts