• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not true. I'm not wading in to say one company is better than the other. I'm saying I've tried a lot of discs from a lot of different brands and I haven't found anything that flies quite like a Teebird. Maybe some Legacy Rivals. Nothing that Trilogy has though.
Same with Firebirds. Sure, other companies have speed 9ish overstable stuff, including Trilogy, but they don't fly like a Firebird. The differences are important.

While I appreciate you opinion, I think this has become more urban legend than truth. I can't argue that there is no disc identical to a Teebird or Firebird, I am sure this is true. But, I certainly don't need any disc identical to them. Why would anyone try. There is no magic in either disc (yes, I know this is heretic speak). If I really want a flight exactly like either, I should throw them. The subtle difference are VERY important, and why many would throw something else. I am now not sure if we agree, or disagree, lol.

I guess I'll throw this out there since everyone is dog piling on DD: My only complaint with DD comes from some of Robert McCall's earlier commentary efforts. He would embark on a long soliloquy about Eric Oakley's preferred run of enforcers with details about the dome and color and feel, and then McBeth would walk up to the tee and he'd say something like "Paul's probably throwing a Destroyer here" and that'd be it. In all fairness though, I thought his commentary coverage of worlds went a long way in improving this. I never minded the extra trilogy info, I just feel that if you're doing commentary on a big tournament, you have a responsibility to go ask Paul about his Destoryers (or Zeus' now). Nate and Jerm seem to have this balancing act down pretty well.

Other than that though, I have no issues with DD and their social media presence. My buddy doesn't follow professional disc golf at all, has no idea who McBeth or Wysocki are, but he loves Danny Lindahl's tutorials and form breakdown videos.

I'll also say the "is this disc right for you" videos are some of the best mold introduction videos out there.

Homemade slow cooked Ham and Pineapple on the left, Pesto Walnut on the right made with my own pesto recipe containing basil from my mother's garden, and walnuts from my partner's family ranch. Cold-rise sourdough recipe is linked earlier in the thread. Someday I'll have a pizza stone, or the appropriate oven, but for now this represents my A-game.

Looks like Chef Boyardee to me. LOL!!!! Enjoy!

Personally I call BS on anyone that says the TBird, Firebird, or any company's driver is special. There are SO many variants from run to run, from year to year, and plastic to plastic. There are some mids that I think are unique and putters too. But for the most part, unless you look for a SPECIFIC run from a SPECIFIC time of a disc, the differences are too little to make a difference for anyone to notice.

you have a responsibility to go ask Paul about his Destoryers (or Zeus' now).

That would be ideal, but just doesn't happen that often. Other pros just remember everyones bag like their own, and there is no-one better than Seppo, who even knows what brand of candy you carry in your bag. Likes snooping around..

Personally I call BS on anyone that says the TBird, Firebird, or any company's driver is special. There are SO many variants from run to run, from year to year, and plastic to plastic. There are some mids that I think are unique and putters too. But for the most part, unless you look for a SPECIFIC run from a SPECIFIC time of a disc, the differences are too little to make a difference for anyone to notice.
I just assume the error margins of my throws are larger than the difference between runs and in most cases plastics.

The problem with social media is that in order to ensure more eyeballs, you need to post frequently and generate interactions with those posts. Otherwise, the algorithms ignore you and when you do post, they're seen by a fraction of your followers. And by fraction, I'm talking less than 10%. Kinda sucks to make a post intended to be seen by your (checking Jomez's facebook) 45K followers only to have it seen by about 400 of them. But by spamming with the "annoying" stuff, they're probably getting 10-20K+ views of their post instead. The alternative would be paying to "boost" posts which is not cheap at all.

It works in reverse too. If you want to see the "important" Jomez posts like announcements about new videos and stuff, you have to interact with more of their posts overall. Otherwise you're going to be among the 50-90% who doesn't instantly see their new posts in your feed. It's stupid.

When I worked in Media Sales, it was so frustrating working with small businesses that thought they could get by, just by advertising on Facebook.

Many conversations where they told me that they had thousands of people who liked their page, so they were set making posts on a semi regular basis.

They thought that was all they needed to do to reach their audience.

Some disc golf companies have it figured out, others not so much and then potential customers complain about social media saturation.

While I appreciate you opinion, I think this has become more urban legend than truth. I can't argue that there is no disc identical to a Teebird or Firebird, I am sure this is true. But, I certainly don't need any disc identical to them. Why would anyone try. There is no magic in either disc (yes, I know this is heretic speak). If I really want a flight exactly like either, I should throw them. The subtle difference are VERY important, and why many would throw something else. I am now not sure if we agree, or disagree, lol.

Ironically, I think people "love" the flight characteristics of those discs once broken in. It seems, in some regard, the other manufacturers have been more focused on creating a disc that flies like a beat-in TeeBird than a TeeBird replica.

IMO, an Escape flies a lot like a well-beat in TeeBird. So, when I lost my really old TeeBird, an Escape was a good replacement as I continue to season the next TeeBird. I don't care much for the brand, but I can't argue with the flight...

I also think the production consistency, plastic types, and weight make similar molds fly quite differently. So, you may find an Explorer that flies more "like a TeeBird" than a G* TB, or a 150 class TB, or a max weight Luster TB.

Last edited:

Mold differences, maybe not. Plastic type including grip and durability, absolutely. Not all company plastics are equal. Granted, not all runs of plastic are equal either. Casual players may not notice, but those with discerning tastes can tell the difference and as a result they do have preferences.

New short vid from Westside regarding Nikko. It's a two year contract and he highlights the Ahti, the Shield, and the Crown as discs he's anxious to start working with. Also on the cart that presumably contains the discs he's hand picking out of the warehouse, I can see Bards, Destinys, Giants, Anvils, Kings, Catapults and Worlds.

Seemed relevant with the discussion about social media in this thread:

Marketing Firm's research:
https://izea.com/2019/11/07/izea-releases-13-years-influencer-marketing-pricing-data/

Highlights:
The report looked at sponsored content on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and blogs, examining negotiated rates from 2014 to 2019.

From micro-influencers - people with fewer than 100,000 followers - to celebrities, it found that there was good money to be made.

Among the findings were:

◾The average price of a sponsored photo on Instagram has jumped from $134 (£104) in 2014 to $1,642 (£1,276) in 2019.
◾The average cost for a sponsored Instagram photo has risen 44% from 2018 to 2019 alone
◾For a sponsored blog post it has soared from $7.39 in 2006 to $1,442 in 2019
◾YouTube videos command the highest fees - four times that of the next highest-priced form of sponsored content - up from $420 in 2014 to $6,700 in 2019
◾A Facebook status update has risen from $8 in 2014 to $395 in 2019
◾A Twitter post has risen from $29 in 2014 to $422 in 2019
◾Blog posts have risen from $407 to $1,442

Its research suggests that influencer-sponsored posts grew by 150% in the last year, with the use of the hashtag #ad more than doubling.

It predicts that brands will up their spend on influencer marketing in 2020, making it a $10bn industry.

Still curious as to why a company would want to do as much as possible to get into that kind of marketing?

Get the eyeballs, in any way you can. Once you have the eyeballs, get a sponsor. Spam content of said sponsor to all the eyeballs. Make money.

I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.
It's been hilarious reading people try and twist DD having a good social media presence into somehow being a bad thing. lol

Can you imagine living in 2019 and complaining that a company like DD or Jomez has too much social media content? LOL

This is the first negative experience I've had within the Disc Golf community. I know that it's a vocal minority, but still it's really sad to see.

I think the best message exchange I read was complaining about a specific post that DD does weekly, and then the guy followed up with "well I don't follow them". How are you seeing their weekly Instagram posts if you aren't following? lmao. Look away from the screen my dude.

Just admit that you hate DD/Jomez and move on. There's nothing wrong with the way they do things, they're growing the sport.

Guess what, you guys are probably old and wont be able to play disc golf for very much longer, but you know who will? Kids on social media. They (Jomez and DD) are doing a great job, and have both been growing like crazy.

For context I'm almost 30, and I have a degree in Mass Media.
If you don't understand how marketing works post 1995 then just pipe down and let the rest of us enjoy a good thing.

Last edited:
I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.
It's been hilarious reading people try and twist DD having a good social media presence into somehow being a bad thing. lol

If you don't understand how marketing works post 1995 then just pipe down and let the rest of us enjoy a good thing.

It's almost like different people like different things, and message boards are tailor-made for expressing those opinions of their topics of interest. Almost.

Everyone is welcome to dislike whatever they want. BUT... just know that not liking that people post regularly to social media is the equivalent of someone not liking color TV because black and white was good enough. Times change. People either find a way to adapt or they get left behind.

I believe that people can like what you like, dislike what you dislike. That is all fine. Just try not to be a dickbag about things. Let other people enjoy things in peace.

It's almost like different people like different things, and message boards are tailor-made for expressing those opinions of their topics of interest. Almost.

Sure, express them. I can still call you out for having a terrible opinion that isn't based on anything other than blind hatred. lol

Sure, express them. I can still call you out for having a terrible opinion that isn't based on anything other than blind hatred. lol

Not sure that saying you don't particularly care for a social media approach can be construed as hatred in a rational mind, though. Seems a bit extreme.

I don't have a dog in the fight, I think DD's marketing is fine. Not entertaining to me really, but to many others, and that's cool. I just thought it was worthwhile to respond to a drive-by poster that sounded very condescending for no apparent reason. Enjoy your marketing degree and stuff, brah.

Not sure that saying you don't particularly care for a social media approach can be construed as hatred in a rational mind, though. Seems a bit extreme.

I don't have a dog in the fight, I think DD's marketing is fine. Not entertaining to me really, but to many others, and that's cool. I just thought it was worthwhile to respond to a drive-by poster that sounded very condescending for no apparent reason. Enjoy your marketing degree and stuff, brah.

It wasn't you that my original post was aimed at.

It was the guys saying all DD fans are in a cult, and calling their pros 'shills' for posting on social media. Same stuff with Jomez. 'Their content is for goldfish.'

Everyone is welcome to dislike whatever they want. BUT... just know that not liking that people post regularly to social media is the equivalent of someone not liking color TV because black and white was good enough. Times change. People either find a way to adapt or they get left behind.

I believe that people can like what you like, dislike what you dislike. That is all fine. Just try not to be a dickbag about things. Let other people enjoy things in peace.

You guys get paid partly on likes, right? Do you also get the paid for the dislikes?

The old... "The only bad press is no press" ;)

You guys get paid partly on likes, right? Do you also get the paid for the dislikes?

The old... "The only bad press is no press" ;)

We don't get paid for likes or dislikes. If so, I could think of a lot of easy ways to get people to dislike us easier than like us. ;)

For me it's not a dislike of social media promotion, it's the knowledge that heavy promotion on social media has equated to poor quality or a poor experience.

One example is disc golf tournaments that are super hyped on social media are usually not very good from my experience. My favorite tournaments get little hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts