• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable 2020 Pros switching sponsor/DD hate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's not a dislike of social media promotion, it's the knowledge that heavy promotion on social media has equated to poor quality or a poor experience.

One example is disc golf tournaments that are super hyped on social media are usually not very good from my experience. My favorite tournaments get little hype.

How much of that is social media and how much of that is simply raised expectations from the extra hype? I mean, I've been left scratching my head wondering why a tournament was getting lots of word-of-mouth praise, none of which I heard from social media (some such instances pre-dated social media in general). On the other hand, I've been pleasantly surprised and impressed by events that were rather low key on promotion and word-of-mouth reputation. Events that I wouldn't say were actually great, but far exceeded my admittedly low expectations and allowed me to leave with a great impression of the day.

Just speaking for myself:

I want to clarify that I'm not opposed to DD because of their social media presence specifically. I don't do much social media at all (except for DGCR, of course!) And also I'm a big fan of Jomez. They make good frolf videos; that's kinda my jam.

We don't get paid for likes or dislikes. If so, I could think of a lot of easy ways to get people to dislike us easier than like us. ;)

Get paid by views? Page hits?

Out of curiosity, how long do I have to watch a video for it to be considered a 'view'?

Everyone is welcome to dislike whatever they want. BUT... just know that not liking that people post regularly to social media is the equivalent of someone not liking color TV because black and white was good enough. Times change. People either find a way to adapt or they get left behind.

I believe that people can like what you like, dislike what you dislike. That is all fine. Just try not to be a dickbag about things. Let other people enjoy things in peace.

Some of us can also dislike DD that do not have social media. That naming schema alone is enough to run me away. Add on that the antics of certain employees both here and on youtube....... there be your dickbags.

The whole "bad press is still good press" keeps me from making more snarky comments than I do. I do not want to help DD by saying bad things about them. Perhaps we can just be silent and they will just go away?

Some of us can also dislike DD that do not have social media. That naming schema alone is enough to run me away. Add on that the antics of certain employees both here and on youtube....... there be your dickbags.

The whole "bad press is still good press" keeps me from making more snarky comments than I do. I do not want to help DD by saying bad things about them. Perhaps we can just be silent and they will just go away?

Thread drift on the thread drift. I really like DD's naming scheme. At least they have a theme that they are sticking to.*

***Except for the Raider. I am not sure on that one.

Nikko's contract is apparently a 2 year thing...so I stand by my earlier statement that he will be a free agent next year.

Wasn't he supposed to appear on that show where they ramble on about disc golf for almost...4...hours...at....a.....time?

Wasn't he supposed to appear on that show where they ramble on about disc golf for almost...4...hours...at....a.....time?

Perhaps one of the producers was too busy chastising people online for having opinions that differ from their best interest, to secure Nikko as a guest. :eek:

Perhaps one of the producers was too busy chastising people online for having opinions that differ from their best interest, to secure Nikko as a guest. :eek:

Perhaps he agreed to be on the show the week prior and then something came up with his family and he said he was spending time with his grandparents. He did offer to do something Wednesday night, but Nikko doesn't quite understand how the live show/podcast works. Not a big deal, we had Kyle Klein on who just won $5K at the NextGen event..

There are some pros that are inherently unreliable for timing. We used to joke about that with Cale. But now it is really: GG & Conrad. They just always find themselves in the middle of no where with no signal during the season. Oh well.

Guess what, you guys are probably old and wont be able to play disc golf for very much longer, but you know who will? Kids on social media. They (Jomez and DD) are doing a great job, and have both been growing like crazy.

For context I'm almost 30, and I have a degree in Mass Media.
If you don't understand how marketing works post 1995 then just pipe down and let the rest of us enjoy a good thing.

Funny, I'm a decade older, have multiple marketing/communication degrees, and work in digital marketing. But, I still feel differently than you... In fact, I have fairly large issues with most of social media. Mainly that there isn't any true marketing strategy in it. Just record garbage, throw it online, watch the likes, and repeat.

Side Bar: Doesn't it bother you (just a little bit) that (almost) everyone with a Facebook account now considers themselves a marketer, a brand, an influencer, or a thought leader? "You're" not any of those, you're just a guy with an internet connection that copied the format...

Lastly, in terms of social media, I'd like someone to show a little creativity instead of posting the same meme for a week or the same old "what would you throw" post.

All that said, the old guys are the ones with the discretionary income that can buy discs, bags, carts, stickers, PPV, etc. So, while the young, tech-savvy may be the silent majority, we're the ones "voting with our dollars"

Boy if only us "younger folks" had money too we could really influence these brands to get online more often and... OOPS! Looks like they're catering to the younger people because they have money and engage in social media.

Since you have "multiple marketing degrees" I'm sure you understand how people talking (posting) about your brand is a big thing.

Like I said, just admit you hate DD and move on.
It's embarrassing to see someone squirm around and try to make some sort of philosophical point about how social media is somehow a bad thing for marketing because it's too simple, or some sort of repeating weekly post.

Maybe you're just too smart for the rest of us 'goldfish'. :hfive:

I have fairly large issues with most of social media. Mainly that there isn't any true marketing strategy in it. Just record garbage, throw it online, watch the likes, and repeat.

This is it. The algorithms and strategies used in modern media have little to nothing to do with quality of content, they simply act as a feedback loop to keep people watching and viewing ads. Certain companies are more willing to play that game and try to reap the benefits that name recognition will bring, but every dollar that is paid to boost a post or video is a dollar taken out of circulation inside of our DG community.

On the side - as a civil rights activist, DD's naming scheme makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Side Bar: Doesn't it bother you (just a little bit) that (almost) everyone with a Facebook account now considers themselves a marketer, a brand, an influencer, or a thought leader? "You're" not any of those, you're just a guy with an internet connection that copied the format...

It really just sounds like you don't like the new media. That is fine, if you don't participate you will be left behind. We are moving so fast that people can't keep up. TikTok is the new hot jam, but it won't be for long. If they are lucky they get 3 years out of their platform before companies invade and make it uncool. Newpaper - Radio - Magazines - TV - Web Sites - Social Media, it is moving faster and faster.

But yes, people are influencers now and brands see that. ****, even dogs with instagram accounts are influencers. You may not like the fact that it no longer takes a team of people to create a marketing plan, and instead you can just go to one kid who has 20K followers and that gets you similar results as an entire television campaign.

This is it. The algorithms and strategies used in modern media have little to nothing to do with quality of content, they simply act as a feedback loop to keep people watching and viewing ads. Certain companies are more willing to play that game and try to reap the benefits that name recognition will bring, but every dollar that is paid to boost a post or video is a dollar taken out of circulation inside of our DG community.

On the side - as a civil rights activist, DD's naming scheme makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

I throw DD discs — escape, warden, deputy, verdict, truth — and the naming scheme offends me. I hate it. I tell myself I should find replacements. Yet, I keep throwing them.

Guess what, you guys are probably old and wont be able to play disc golf for very much longer, but you know who will? Kids on social media. They (Jomez and DD) are doing a great job, and have both been growing like crazy.

Lol.....who is going to run tournaments, put in courses and maintain the ones in the ground now?

You needn't be a contrarian ass. Folks are allowed to have differing opinions, and civilly disagree. The art of that seems to be lost these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts