• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The NEW Bottom stamp star destroyers

QuinnAA199

Par Member
Anybody try them yet? How they fly?

I have a few questions about them in general also.

Are the new run bottom stamp destroyers limited run?
Are the new aj destroyers marked *ds?
Is it possible that the new bottom stamps are from old run?
In general star destroyers what is more sought out after s/d or *d. S/ds or *ds

Appreciate the help.

@the general destroyer questions:

From what I understand talking to people who actually know what's going on...Destroyer characteristics are waaaaay too generalized (i.e. "pre-avery" and "avery" as a distinction, it literally only tells us one detail of the disc but people act like it's the damn defining trait).

*typically* and it's not always the case even as I type this - SDS or S/DS are the most sought after because it denotes a special blend. However, the Destroyer is a disc that Innova likes to tinker with so results still may vary.

I cant say much about the destroyers, but i am trying out the new bottom stamped bosses, they remind me of "pro bosses" with the dome on them, and also it seems to be made out of a new "hybrid" style plastic. I had previously purchased some "hybrid star" bosses to try out, and the new bottlm stamp run bosses have a very similar plastic blend. The bosses also have a ton of glide. I guess to bring this back to the destroyer conversation, are the destroyers made of this "hybrid-esque" plastic?

my bottom stamp mako has more dome than my other stars, but nowhere near as domey as the old champs!

I cant say much about the destroyers, but i am trying out the new bottom stamped bosses, they remind me of "pro bosses" with the dome on them, and also it seems to be made out of a new "hybrid" style plastic. I had previously purchased some "hybrid star" bosses to try out, and the new bottlm stamp run bosses have a very similar plastic blend. The bosses also have a ton of glide. I guess to bring this back to the destroyer conversation, are the destroyers made of this "hybrid-esque" plastic?

hybrid of what? pro and champ? ;)

I just know I'm seeing them all over Ebay Haha One seller was even trying to pass them off as a "Pre-Avery *DS" which I found funny. If it were a few months ago I'd be really wanting to try one because I was a huge Destroyer fan but now I've disced down to Wraiths and only carry 1 champ Destroyer in my bag compared to the 4 Destroyers total a few months ago. Like JTacoma mentioned, SDS and S/DS are the more sought after Destroyers cause I believe they're one of the first runs of star Destroyers. I myself was a fan of the Pre-Avery *DS'. Threw a Pre-Avery *D a few times, and I don't know if it was because it was decently beat in, but it was pretty flippy with a crashing fade.. wasn't a fan. Havent gotten to try an SDS or a S/DS, but I wouldn't mind if I ever came across one.

I just know I'm seeing them all over Ebay Haha One seller was even trying to pass them off as a "Pre-Avery *DS" which I found funny. If it were a few months ago I'd be really wanting to try one because I was a huge Destroyer fan but now I've disced down to Wraiths and only carry 1 champ Destroyer in my bag compared to the 4 Destroyers total a few months ago. Like JTacoma mentioned, SDS and S/DS are the more sought after Destroyers cause I believe they're one of the first runs of star Destroyers. I myself was a fan of the Pre-Avery *DS'. Threw a Pre-Avery *D a few times, and I don't know if it was because it was decently beat in, but it was pretty flippy with a crashing fade.. wasn't a fan. Havent gotten to try an SDS or a S/DS, but I wouldn't mind if I ever came across one.

The earlier runs closer to first runs were the *D. SDS and S/DS didn't come until much later.

And from my understanding, the markings on the back in no way denote a specific mold, so you'll find flippy and OS *Ds, *DSs, etc.

I don't think S/D or S/DS are earlier runs. I'm pretty sure the *Ds & *DSs were the earlier runs.

i had a proto star SD and a few pre avery S/DS, not completely sure about *DS but i think that came even later.

back on topic - how bout them bottom stamps???

What i thought the markings for destroyers came as *D, SDS, SD/S, *DS pre Avery, *DS Avery. What i thought not sure if it is true.
Also stability can never really be determined by the markings to me since ive had both flippy/stable SD/S destroyers which are said to be the most stable of the runs

These are massively overstable like the old marbled pop tops, and none of that vulcanized crud from what I've seen.

stamp on the back?... let's just call these things tramp stamps from now on.

Let's clear the air...

Looking at 2 destroyers, one with *DS and one with S/DS will not necessarily tell you chronology. It's not a series where they changed the markings over time. They may denote RUNS of destroyers which, as we've discussed, vary substantially. The S/DS in my bag was made in 2011 (Patrick Brown summer fundraiser). The confounding factor here though, is that many more runs are marked *DS than anything else (S/DS for example), so that alone won't necessarily tell you which run that particular disc is from either.

As for the pre/post-Avery differentiation: When he chose the mold as a signature disc, they had a large stock of blank destroyers from a particularly popular run which they put his sig on. Then the next time they molded up a new batch of destroyers they weren't the same - I believe this time they came out flatter, where the big arms tend to prefer the poppy top style. However the most recent run of Destroyers has more dome/pop to them like the first run where they stamped Avery's sig on it.

Destroyers are a mold that gets tweaked constantly...and evidently molds up differently as well, so with that combination you get a variance in their flagship big-arm distance driver. That said, if you're looking for the SWEET ones that the pros such as Patrick Brown, Avery Jenkins, and Nikko like/liked - find stiffer, poppy top, S/DS ones with a slight marble to the plastic.

Latest posts